NBC Censors Dixie Chicks Ad

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Psychoblues, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I’m a stock car (local dirt short track real race nut) fan. In pretty weather on Saturday nights I can be found at one of a number of dirt tracks within 300 miles of my home. Each night there is a prayer and some rendition of the Star Spangled Banner is played on the facility P.A. system. Early this season a rendition by the Dixie Chicks was played to the consternation of a few disgruntled and overly, in my opinion, ignorant and/or intoxicated patrons. To the credit, as at least I give them, the management recognized the beauty of the Dixie Chicks rendition and they have repeatedly played it along with several other renditions during the season. The nuts never left but their complaints still resonate with me. How can such a beautiful and sincere approach to our Star Spangled Banner be so unjustly criticized due simply to political disagreement? FOXNEWS told them is all I can surmise.

Here is another insult to common sense.

“Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks were ant-Bush before anti-Bush was cool. Now the Chicks have a documentary film, "Shup Up and Sing." chronicling the vicious reaction of the Right to Maines' remarks about Bush just prior to the Iraq invasion....

NBC admits that it refused to run the ad because it is "disparaging to President Bush."

more:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117952760.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

NBC and those nuts at the racetrack can kiss my American ass. I’ll continue to frequent the racetrack and I’ll probably continue to view NBC occasionally but I will never understand the uppityness that they so envision for themselves in denying any freedom of speech that they so claim to embrace. Beats me?!?! Does it beat you?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

2. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    :boohoo: :gross2: :cow:

3. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I really didn't know but I always suspected that you were a booger picker and, to be honest, I always considered you one to be a booger eater. Thanks for the verification of my suspicions!!!!!!

Warning 1 to PB-Ed.
    Psychoblues

4. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    :gross2: :gross2: :gross2: :gross2:

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    No censorship involved NBC was simply practicing their right to choose which commercials to have on their station. It is a free market. By claiming that this is censorship distorts the very basics of free speech.

6. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Damned straight! Maines and friends are free to speak their minds, but the public has the right to speak their minds as well. In a capitalistic society, that means speaking with their pocketbooks. (Something McCain-Feingold failed to recognize, hence our problems with campaign financing have gotten worse.)

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    Only the government has the power to censor. Private entities can play or reject playing anything they want.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    It ls not about free market because the ad was being paid for and it is up to the consumer to decide what they respond to and what they don't.... NBC shouldn't be determining that for me. Isn't that the argument when they don't want to air things that are part of the agenda of the right?

The argument that it isn't censorship is a bit disingenuous when they have no qualms about airing ads about male sexual aids, so it's not that they care about what might "offend'. This is clearly a content-based decision. I don't think it's any network's job to "shield" us from things that may offend the folks in the white house. I'd also remind you that the networks are all reliant on the FCC for approval to buy and sell stations and media outlets. Bush's FCC has a particular reputation for acting negatively, or not acting at all, with regard to requests made by outlets who don't play ball.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Ummmmmm.... no. The airwaves are held in the public trust and media are not allowed to censor political speech. Go take a look at FCC v Pacifica which does a pretty good job of setting out the standards about where the limits are.

10. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Media outlets base a huge percentage of content decisions on what will or won't garner ratings. NBC understands that a large percentage of Americans regard the DC as spoiled, anti-American, idiotic, brain dead, dumb ass barely talented singers. It is thier job to entertain. So I must say that the movie title sums up my opinion perfectly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1