Nazis, shoddy science, and the climate contrarian credibility gap

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Posted on 22 February 2014 by dana1981

Because the pool of climate experts who dispute that humans are the primary cause of global warming is so small, representing just 2 to 4 percent of climate scientists, climate contrarians often reference the same few contrarian scientists. Two such examples are Roy Spencer and John Christy of the University of Alabama at Huntsville (UAH), both of whom have testified before US Congress several times, and are often interviewed and quoted in the conservative media.

And because that pool of contrarian climate experts is so small, their credibility often seems indestructible. For example, Richard Lindzen has been wrong on essentially every position he's taken on major climate science issues over the past quarter century, and yet the conservative media continue to treat him as a foremost climate expert. Therefore, it's important to remind ourselves what these few climate scientist contrarians really believe, and whether their arguments have any scientific validity.

Yesterday, Roy Spencer took to his blog, writing a post entitled "Time to push back against the global warming Nazis". The ensuing Godwinian rant was apparently triggered by somebody calling contrarians like Spencer "deniers." Personally I tend to avoid use of the term, simply because it inevitably causes the ensuing discussion to degenerate into an argument about whether "denier" refers to Holocaust denial. Obviously that misinterpretation of the term is exactly what "pushed [Spencer's] button," as he put it.

However, this misinterpretation has no basis in reality. The term "denier" merely refers to "a person who denies" something, and originated some 600 years ago, long before the Holocaust occurred. Moreover, as the National Center for Science Education and Peter Gleick at Forbes have documented, many climate contrarians (including the aforementioned Richard Lindzen) prefer to be called "deniers."

"I actually like 'denier.' That's closer than skeptic," says MIT's Richard Lindzen, one of the most prominent deniers. Steve Milloy, the operator of the climate change denial website JunkScience.com, told Popular Science, "Me, I just stick with denier ... I'm happy to be a denier." Minnesotans for Global Warming and other major denier groups go so far as to sing, "I'm a Denier!".

Spencer is also on the advisory board of the Cornwall Alliance, a group with 'An Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming' claiming that "Earth and its ecosystems—created by God's intelligent design and infinite power and sustained by His faithful providence —are robust, resilient, self-regulating, and self-correcting, admirably suited for human flourishing, and displaying His glory." The declaration also has a section on "What We Deny," and Spencer recently wrote in The Christian Post,

...we deny "that most [current climate change] is human-caused, and that it is a threat to future generations that must be addressed by the global community."

Thus it's rather hypocritical of Spencer to complain about the use of a word meaning "a person who denies" when he has expressly admitted to denying these climate positions.

In his blog post, Spencer also wrote of those he calls "global warming Nazis,"

"Like the Nazis, they advocate the supreme authority of the state (fascism), which in turn supports their scientific research to support their cause (in the 1930s, it was superiority of the white race)."

Skeptical Science = Propaganda.

Smearing opponents of your belief set doesn't create credibility.

^^^^^^^^^^ What that dude said...

This is from the crayoned data land of Cook And Nutti who decided to place a real time Atom Bomb counter on every page of their propaganda site --- so that the morons who go there get the comparison to Global Warming energy.

I'm still waiting for the "consensus" prediction for the temp anomaly in 2055.. This whole movement is based on altered definitions and rhetoric and not much else..

"Nazi" has no place in the description of those who are the faithful of The First Universal Church (Algore) of Global Warming.

None at all.

Nazis made the trains run on time. Gorites hate trains and want them all parked.

You can't take people seriously when they start telling you there's no visible Global Warming because the warming is in the Pacific Ocean -- deep deep in the Pacific Ocean. It's a fucking joke and coupled with Mann's Fraud it's only a question of time before every major university boots these lying Climate Fuckers off campus

You can't take people seriously when they start telling you there's no visible Global Warming because the warming is in the Pacific Ocean -- deep deep in the Pacific Ocean. It's a fucking joke and coupled with Mann's Fraud it's only a question of time before every major university boots these lying Climate Fuckers off campus

But only in the interest of enhancing academic freedom and espousing free speech, of course.

Forum List

Back