Navigating the Swirling Currents of Climate Activism

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I didn't come of age in the 60s and early 70s, but I know my history. I know that the U.S. fractured over the Vietnam war and the Civil Rights movement. I know that Americans took sides on the home front and that this turned kitchen tables, universities, and streets into battle zones. Families and friendships were torn asunder. Entrenched values and norms were challenged. Yes, it was a turbulent time. But the passions and stakes were high. Such is the messy, unpredictable landscape of social change.

Read more of this commentary/opinion piece @ Navigating the Swirling Currents of Climate Activism : Collide-a-Scape

Granny says, "Dat's right - the sun an' greenhouse gases heatin' the oceans...
:eusa_eh:
Study: Earth's climate change is heating oceans
Apr 11, 2013 - The temperature of Earth’s atmosphere has been essentially the same for the past decade or so, providing ammunition for skeptics of human-caused climate change.
However, a recent study found that heat absorbed by Earth’s oceans has increased significantly over the same period, prompting the study’s co-authors to say the warming has been diverted and is heating the oceans instead of the atmosphere. The study was published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, a publication of the American Geophysical Union. The current “hiatus” in atmospheric warming is temporary, said study co-author Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. “Global warming is continuing but manifesting itself differently.”

Here’s how scientists say global warming works: Increasing amounts of carbon dioxide and other gases caused by the burning of the oil, gas and coal that power our world are enhancing the natural “greenhouse effect,” causing the temperature of the atmosphere and oceans to warm to levels that climate scientists say cannot be linked to natural forces. “Over 90 percent of the heat trapped by greenhouse gases winds up warming the oceans,” said Josh Willis, a scientist with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. “Oceans cover two-thirds of the Earth’s surface, so it’s expected that they’ll play a large role in how climate change and global warming play out.”

A large chunk of the warmth appears to be settling far down in the ocean, about a half-mile beneath the surface, Trenberth said. New technology over the past decade or so has allowed scientists to better measure the temperature of the deep oceans, Willis said. Although Earth’s excess heat comes from climate change, the amount that’s absorbed into the oceans (as opposed to staying in the atmosphere) appears to be because of natural changes in climatic wind and ocean patterns, according to the study. Temporary pauses and restarts in atmospheric temperature shouldn’t detract from the main story, Willis said. “The planet is warming, climate change is happening, and the primary cause is greenhouse gases released by human activities,” he added.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...ate-change-heating-oceans.html?nclick_check=1

Forum List

Back