National Gay Blood Drive Scheduled for July 11, 2014

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
ST. PAUL, Minn., July 9, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On Friday, July 11, the second annual nationwide National Gay Blood Drive (NGBD) will take place to raise public awareness and increase pressure on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to change its policy on the long-standing ban on blood donation by men who have had sex with other men (MSM) – a restriction that has been in place since 1983.

In Minnesota, the drive is scheduled to occur from 7:30 AM to 4 PM at Memorial Blood Centers' Saint Paul Donor Center located at 737 Pelham Boulevard.

New this year, supporters who are ineligible to donate blood are being encouraged by NGBD organizers to bring a friend (surrogate) to donate in their place. The number of donations will be documented by NGBD organizers and sent to the FDA, Health and Human Services, and the White House in an effort to illustrate the additional units of blood that could be added to the nation's blood supply if the ban on MSM blood donations were changed.

Participants who do not meet current FDA guidelines for eligibility will not be allowed to donate blood.

National Gay Blood Drive Scheduled for July 11, 2014

What do you think of this?

If there's the risk of catching AIDs/HIV, why gamble with peoples' lives? I say if someone with AIDs/HIV somehow gets through and donates blood, and infects/puts a death sentence on one or more people, he should be punished.

Homosexual men know the risks when it comes to having sex, so they should be able to understand that even one drop of infected can kill.

I had hepatitis 60 years ago and I am still prevented from giving blood as are my children who are in their fifties. I believe the Government should rethink this action because of the possible blood infections.

I had hepatitis 60 years ago and I am still prevented from giving blood as are my children who are in their fifties. I believe the Government should rethink this action because of the possible blood infections.

I agree.

Do you feel personally insulted that they won't let you donate? (I'm not saying that to be mean.) I don't think homosexual men should have to feel upset over not being able to donate, because there is always the risk of transmitting AIDs/HIV. What I don't know is if AIDs/HIV can get past a screening...

I agree.

Do you feel personally insulted that they won't let you donate? (I'm not saying that to be mean.) I don't think homosexual men should have to feel upset over not being able to donate, because there is always the risk of transmitting AIDs/HIV. What I don't know is if AIDs/HIV can get past a screening...
I don't feel insulted because hepatitis is a severe illness. I missed a year of school and I was bright yellow for 6 months. I think gays should be cautious of wanting to give blood.

Forum List

Back