National Debt has increased more under Obama than under Bush

Actually, CBS is wrong.
On the first day of GWB's first fiscal year the National Debt was $5.806 trillion. On the last day of GWB's last fiscal year the National Debt was 11.92 trillion as of today the National Debt is 15.567 trillion. So GWB's fiscal years ended up adding over 6 trillion. Obama is his short time has accumulated 3.647 trillion.
Fiscal years always start on October 1st and end on September 30th of the following year. So GWB's fiscal years started on October 1st of 2001 and ended on September 30th of 2009.
CBS made their mistake by using calender years versus fiscal years.
But in the long run, Obama is easily outspending GWB per average fiscal year.:mad:

Actually, you are wrong, as usual. The last day of GWBs fiscal responsibility was 1 April 2009 when the budget Obama signed kicked in.

Iraq war costs have topped $1 trillion, said Scott Lilly, former staff director for the House Appropriations Committee and now a research fellow at the left-leaning Center for American Progress. Neither Bush’s war effort in Afghanistan nor Obama’s escalation there has been paid for, both analysts noted.

On the offset question, the Medicare prescription drug bill, however, indisputably added to the federal deficit. It was not offset by new revenue or other spending cuts.

( this is where I would post the link to politifact if the forum would let me, but I'm a noob here. )
Of course he increased the debt. He actually took the hit to his budgets, while Bush pushed them off to the future.

It's not enough to say," He increased it more!" You have to ask WHERE did the debt come from?

Two inherited wars, inherited tax cuts and inherited unpaid for social programs.

It's called context.

Do you have a brain? Are you aware that the debt under Bush actually includes the cost of fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq? Or that Obama actually borrowed money to help pay for both wars since he became president?

Actually, CBS is wrong.
On the first day of GWB's first fiscal year the National Debt was $5.806 trillion. On the last day of GWB's last fiscal year the National Debt was 11.92 trillion as of today the National Debt is 15.567 trillion. So GWB's fiscal years ended up adding over 6 trillion. Obama is his short time has accumulated 3.647 trillion.
Fiscal years always start on October 1st and end on September 30th of the following year. So GWB's fiscal years started on October 1st of 2001 and ended on September 30th of 2009.
But in the long run, Obama is easily outspending GWB per average fiscal year.:mad:

Actually, you are wrong, as usual. The last day of GWBs fiscal responsibility was 1 April 2009 when the budget Obama signed kicked in.

fiscal year - The fiscal year is the accounting period for the federal government which begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2013 begins on October 1, 2012 and ends on September 30, 2013. Congress passes appropriations legislation to fund the government for every fiscal year.
U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Glossary > fiscal year

Now, tell me how I am wrong, as usual.

Government spending as a percentage of GDP is the same now as when Reagan was in office....23%. But since the financial crisis in 2008, revenues as a share of GDP have hit 60-year lows, coming in at around 15%. And yet the Republicans signed the Grover Norquist "tax pledge" not to raise taxes. If you want SS, Medicare, and a strong defense, you are going to have to pay for it.

Grover Norquist is the man destroying America.

Really? Do you seriously want to take that position? Government spending currently stands at almost 40% of GDP, not 23%. Revenue as a percent of GDP, on the other hands, is almost identical to what it was under Reagan. That tells anyone with a brain, which obviously excludes you, that the problem isn't revenue.

I love the "Bush tax cuts" excuse. They have been the tax RATE for 10 years now.

And what happened between 2009-2010 when the Dems owned the White House and Congress? Ohhhh yea they REFUSED to raise taxes. Obama said it would be bad for the economy.

Yet here you all are, blamming it on "Bush tax cuts".

Wake up idiots, they are the Obama Tax Rates now, not anyone else's.

Interesting.

First, I don't see anyone solely blaming the Bush Tax cuts, but listing it as a factor. Which is called honesty.

Second, you seem to forget how the Republicans held Congress hostage, blocking everything they could until the Tax Cuts were extended.

Im new here...do you have a very short memory? I'll make a note of it for the future of that's the case.

Seriously? Do you want me to point out the posts in this very forum that blamed the Bush tax cuts? If you want to talk about honesty you should try using it yourself.

Actually, CBS is wrong.

fiscal year - The fiscal year is the accounting period for the federal government which begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2013 begins on October 1, 2012 and ends on September 30, 2013. Congress passes appropriations legislation to fund the government for every fiscal year.

And?

Obama signed the FY 2009 budget in March of 2009 because the Democrats in Congress didn't want Bush to get any credit for the recovery summer that didn't happen. He owns everything that happened after that.

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans - President Obama Signs FY 2009 Budget into Law

Obama signs earmark-laden budget bill - UPI.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123792854440830021.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/us/politics/18obama.html?_r=1

You as usual, are wrong.

And?

Obama signed the FY 2009 budget in March of 2009 because the Democrats in Congress didn't want Bush to get any credit for the recovery summer that didn't happen. He owns everything that happened after that.

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans - President Obama Signs FY 2009 Budget into Law

Obama signs earmark-laden budget bill - UPI.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123792854440830021.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/us/politics/18obama.html?_r=1

You as usual, are wrong.

The United States government runs on a fiscal year that runs October 1st to September 30th of the following year as stated by the Senate Reference Glossary. The first day of the government's fiscal year has started on October 1st since 1976.

Here. go here and learn aboput our government's budget process. United States budget process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iraq war costs have topped $1 trillion, said Scott Lilly, former staff director for the House Appropriations Committee and now a research fellow at the left-leaning Center for American Progress. Neither Bush’s war effort in Afghanistan nor Obama’s escalation there has been paid for, both analysts noted.

On the offset question, the Medicare prescription drug bill, however, indisputably added to the federal deficit. It was not offset by new revenue or other spending cuts.

( this is where I would post the link to politifact if the forum would let me, but I'm a noob here. )
Of course he increased the debt. He actually took the hit to his budgets, while Bush pushed them off to the future.

It's not enough to say," He increased it more!" You have to ask WHERE did the debt come from?

Two inherited wars, inherited tax cuts and inherited unpaid for social programs.

It's called context.

Do you have a brain? Are you aware that the debt under Bush actually includes the cost of fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq? Or that Obama actually borrowed money to help pay for both wars since he became president?

Oh I'm so going to have fun with you once I get link posting privledges. I'm going to make you cry.

But alas until then...

No. Bush didn't put a single penny of either Iraq or Aphganistan onto his own budget. You're flat out lying.

And you're blaming Obama for borrowing money to pay for wars Bush started?

The bottom line: Bush's projections of future defense spending "substantially understate" just how much money it will take to run Obama's Pentagon, the CSBA says in its report

Brainless doesn't even begin to describe your post.

Oh and...

This game of chicken occurs even though Congress has already sent the military $460 billion for its operations in fiscal 2008, which began October 1

The fiscal year begins Oct 1st, brainiac.

Last edited:
Mr. Bush’s proposed budget, the first in the nation’s history to exceed $3 trillion, foresees near-record deficits just ahead — $410 billion in the current fiscal year, on spending of $2.9 trillion, and $407 billion for the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1 — before the budget would come into balance in 2012.

But the total federal debt held by the public — that is, the accumulated total of all federal borrowing — has grown substantially in recent years. It was $3.3 trillion in 2001, when President Bush took office, and is expected to climb to $5.4 trillion this year and $5.9 trillion in 2009, according to budget documents issued by the White House on Monday.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Senate majority leader, issued a statement saying that the budget was “fiscally irresponsible and highly deceptive, hiding the costs of the war in Iraq while increasing our skyrocketing debt.”

Yeah, that budget had nothing at all to do with Bush.

And the tooth fairy is real.

I love the "Bush tax cuts" excuse. They have been the tax RATE for 10 years now.

And what happened between 2009-2010 when the Dems owned the White House and Congress? Ohhhh yea they REFUSED to raise taxes. Obama said it would be bad for the economy.

Interesting.

First, I don't see anyone solely blaming the Bush Tax cuts, but listing it as a factor. Which is called honesty.

Second, you seem to forget how the Republicans held Congress hostage, blocking everything they could until the Tax Cuts were extended.

Im new here...do you have a very short memory? I'll make a note of it for the future of that's the case.

Oh silly me, the GOP "held congress hostage" as a minority in both the Senate and House.

Gawd you libs are derranged. Dems did not need ONE repub vote for any law they wanted to pass.

In fact, Obama signed the extenetion himself into LAW:

Obama signs bill to extend Bush-era tax cuts for two more years

Friday, December 17, 2010; 5:05 PM

President Obama signed into law the most significant tax bill in nearly a decade Friday, a day after overcoming liberal resistance in Congress to continue for two more years tax breaks enacted under president George W. Bush and to provide a fresh federal boost for the tepid economic recovery

In remarks before signing the bill, Obama called it "a substantial victory for middle-class families across the country." He added: "They're the ones hardest hit by the recession we've endured. They're the ones who need relief right now."

Obama described the bill as "a package of tax relief that will protect the middle class, that will grow our economy and will create jobs for the American people."

Interesting.

Oh silly me, the GOP "held congress hostage" as a minority in both the Senate and House.

Gawd you libs are derranged. Dems did not need ONE repub vote for any law they wanted to pass.

President Obama signed into law the most significant tax bill in nearly a decade Friday, a day after overcoming liberal resistance in Congress to continue for two more years tax breaks enacted under president George W. Bush and to provide a fresh federal boost for the tepid economic recovery

In remarks before signing the bill, Obama called it "a substantial victory for middle-class families across the country." He added: "They're the ones hardest hit by the recession we've endured. They're the ones who need relief right now."

Obama described the bill as "a package of tax relief that will protect the middle class, that will grow our economy and will create jobs for the American people."
set and match

Unemployment Extension 2010 | GOP holds reins in debate over tax cut extension - Los Angeles Times
Reporting from Washington — A day after agreeing to work with President Obama to end a stalemate over expiring tax cuts, congressional Republicans flexed their newfound political muscle Wednesday, declaring that they would block consideration of any other legislation during the lame-duck session until a deal is reached on the tax cuts and temporary government funding.

GOP Holds Unemployed Hostage; Demands $700 Billion Ransom | Jobs With Justice
The GOP says they don’t want to extend jobless benefits because doing so could add $35 billion to the federal deficit, yet they’ll consider extending benefits if Democrats agree to add $700 billion to the deficit by extending the Bush tax cuts to the country’s wealthiest 2%.

Interesting.

set and match

Unemployment Extension 2010 | GOP holds reins in debate over tax cut extension - Los Angeles Times
Reporting from Washington — A day after agreeing to work with President Obama to end a stalemate over expiring tax cuts, congressional Republicans flexed their newfound political muscle Wednesday, declaring that they would block consideration of any other legislation during the lame-duck session until a deal is reached on the tax cuts and temporary government funding.

GOP Holds Unemployed Hostage; Demands $700 Billion Ransom | Jobs With Justice
The GOP says they don’t want to extend jobless benefits because doing so could add $35 billion to the federal deficit, yet they’ll consider extending benefits if Democrats agree to add $700 billion to the deficit by extending the Bush tax cuts to the country’s wealthiest 2%.

I'm very well aware of the media narrative that had to put blame on the Republicans in order to cover for Obama's incompetent ass.

The only problem is that Repubs only had 41 members in the Senate and 178 in the house. Not enough to stop anything the Dems wanted to pass.

111th United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But hey, don't let the facts stop ya. The media tells you its all the GOP fault so it must be true, even though the numbers don't add up.

Carry on, dipshit.

Say what you will about Obama, but no one can claim that he has governed as a deficit hawk. Of course, mainstream economists (including conservatives who favored tax cuts) generally favor deficit spending in a recession.

Who are these mysterious mainstream conservative economists in favor of all this spending I keep hearing from liberals about?

41 members is more than enough to filibuster any piece of legislation they disagree with in the senate since it take a 2/3rds vote to pass anything. oops! guess you dont really know what youre talking about.

and in 2011 the GOP controlled the House and could do whatever they wanted. that would be the 112th congress

and ive already shown that the dems supermajority lasted exactly 49 days in reality.

Last edited:
Of which only around 10% of the national debt accrued under Obama is due to Obama's policies.
Also Bushes last budget deficit was 1.4trillion, while the deficit in 2011 was 1.3trillion, meaning so far under Obama the deficit has decreased

and the right loves to talk about the supermajority which lasted exactly 134 days in paper, but more like 49 days in reality.

The Democrats’ 134-Day Supermajority | PoliPundit.com

so agree with the fact the bush tax cuts decreased revenues significantly, and were not offset by spending cuts. which in turn increased the annual deficits.... thanks for clearing that up.

So the dem solution was to declare any cut extreme.

To not operate on a budget and sidestep paygo by declaring all spending an emergency.

You were trying to make a point. What was it exactly?

True.

Now let's look at what each administration spent the money on.

24editorial_graph2-popup-thumb-560x622-58477.gif

GOLLY...it appears that MOST of the spending Obama has done (4/5ths) has been continuations of spending on obligations that went on under the Bush Admin.

What HAS he spent money on? Gee, the stimulus. Getting Americans back to work. How DARE he spend money on America and Americans when he could be spending it in Iraq looking for WMD's.

What the hell CONZ?
You guys aren't even TRYING anymore are you?

Do you realize that when you come here and complain about Obama's spending when MOST of it is simply continuations of spending you thought was JUST DUCKY under Bushco, it makes you look like idiots, right? Well, either ignorant idiots or liars.

WHY do you think you will change anybody's minds? That they'll be JUST AS INTELLECTUALLY LAZY as you and not check what you claim?

and the right loves to talk about the supermajority which lasted exactly 134 days in paper, but more like 49 days in reality.

The Democrats’ 134-Day Supermajority | PoliPundit.com

so agree with the fact the bush tax cuts decreased revenues significantly, and were not offset by spending cuts. which in turn increased the annual deficits.... thanks for clearing that up.

So the dem solution was to declare any cut extreme.

To not operate on a budget and sidestep paygo by declaring all spending an emergency.

You were trying to make a point. What was it exactly?
the point was the the so called super-majority only lasted 49 days. how much legislation do you think can be developed pushed through committee and drafted in 49 days?

Our national debt is greater than the entire U.S. economy.... this is a first folks!!!

No matter who is to blame, we had better get our heads out of our asses, and get on track, and do it NOW!

Paul Ryan is trying.... will anyone listen?

Forum List

Back