Nanny State: NYC considers alcohol bans

People can most definitely smoke a small amount and just get "a little high" just as they can drink a small amount and get a "little tipsy".

There are people who have built up large tolerances to marijuana (just like alcohol) and require large amounts of the drug to feel the effects.

Why would anyone want to smoke pot unless they were going to get high? Taste? Seriously.

So says Doctor Douchebag. Are you too stupid to know that some good nutrition might add some weeks/months, if you have terminal cancer? Some hot weed will add to your appetite.

You're a piece of shit Nazi.

Ok, let's go through this... if you have terminal cancer, then smoke weed 'cause it will make you eat.

:lol:

Good Gawd you're stupid.

So pretty soon possession of a 40 ounce of malt liquor will get you a quick 4 to 5 years in lock up, nice.

Not to mention the thousands of $$ you'll be paying out for years after you get out for ankle bracelets, PO fees and whatnot.

So now, not only does the government want to tell you what you can sell, but how much you have to sell it for.

Let's do some critical thinking here. We live in a society where we elect people, just like you and I, to represent us. By electing these people, we give them the honor of writing new laws and rescinding old ones to make our society better for everyone. Now if we disagree with what they are doing, we have the option to vote them out. Government is not some big monster that has a mind of its own. It has been put in place by us, the citizens. Big brother, if there was such a thing, is what we have voted for. Quit acting like it's some monster out of a fiction movie.

So now, not only does the government want to tell you what you can sell, but how much you have to sell it for.

Let's do some critical thinking here. We live in a society where we elect people, just like you and I, to represent us. By electing these people, we give them the honor of writing new laws and rescinding old ones to make our society better for everyone. Now if we disagree with what they are doing, we have the option to vote them out. Government is not some big monster that has a mind of its own. It has been put in place by us, the citizens. Big brother, if there was such a thing, is what we have voted for. Quit acting like it's some monster out of a fiction movie.
You'll make a fine kapo.

Nah, it is a big monster that has a mind of its own. Do we really have choices anymore? Do they really represent the People?

I didnt vote for the NYC council. I doubt most of the posters here did either. That doesn't mean we can't complain about them and set them as a warning for what happens when we expect gov't to "protect" us.

I didnt vote for the NYC council. I doubt most of the posters here did either. That doesn't mean we can't complain about them and set them as a warning for what happens when we expect gov't to "protect" us.

What does the NYC City Council have to do with this?

It's a rumour from the Dept. of Health - which is not an "elected" office.

And it'll never happen, anyway.

Well it was the city council that voted in favor of requiring nutritional labeling in reataurants.

Well it was the city council that voted in favor of requiring nutritional labeling in reataurants.

And that has to do with this story how?

Check this out:

Every single menu in New York City could soon be getting a major overhaul if Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way.

The man behind calorie counts is set to announce a new public health initiative to battle obesity, taking aim at super-sized sugary drinks.

In other words, it may soon be time to say goodbye to those Big Gulps, those Slurpees or even Venti at Starbucks, CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis reported.

“That’s okay,” one person said.

No it’s not, according to Mayor Bloomberg, who is set to propose a ban on sugary drinks over 16 ounces everywhere, all across the city.

Here He Goes Again: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Set To Ban All Sugary Drinks Over 16 Ounces « CBS New York

I buy a 24 oz coffee in the morning. It lasts til noon. At lunch, I buy a 22 oz. diet coke. It lasts til 3.

My guess is that folks will buy several beverages a day if they can and NYC will see 3 times the trash. Not very green Mr. Mayor.... :evil:

Is this guy out of his freakin mind?

I have to agree with the idea that underlying the law is a further attempt to control what is sold and for how much. It's about taxes? Yes, likely, but not the main point. It's about furthering government control.

They don't need this type of law. The owners of 'happy hour' establishments are already responsible for over serving or allowing any patron that's under the influence and drives. The penalties are high and enforced.

I agree Annie but with Bloomberg, it's more than that. He wants NYC to be the "healthiest" city in the country and he's willing to do ANYTHING that might get those stats up. It's an obsession.

I love NY. But it is getting less and less appealing every time I read about his health initiatives. NYC is one of the top tourist destinations in the world with many of the greatest bars and restaurants. He's killing them and could kill tourism altogether. His vision of a future NY is a bunch of skinny teetotalers riding on bicycles looking for work in a city that once bore the slogan "I heart NY".

Forum List

Back