Nanny Bloomberg won't stop at banning large sodas

It didn’t take long for the big guns of the soda industry to challenge New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg in his crusade to eliminate sugary beverages larger than 16 ounces from movie theaters, restaurants, and deli’s. In response, Coca-Cola (KO) argues that Bloomberg has his facts wrong.

Katie Bayne, Coca-Cola’s president of sparkling beverages in North America, told USA Today, "There is no scientific evidence that connects sugary beverages to obesity." She went on to say that from 1999 through 2010 sugar intake from soda consumption fell 39%, as childhood obesity increased 13% and adult obesity rose 7%.

Don’t let Coca-Cola fool you into thinking they’re concerned about your well-being, however. In 2006, bottling companies responsible for Coca-Cola and Pepsi (PEP) hit schools across the country with astronomical fees when education officials began to remove soda and sugary beverages from cafeterias and vending machines.

Schools also share the blame. The Center for Disease Control reports that physical education has dramatically decreased in public schools and says The US Department of Health and Human Services recommends that kids aged 6–17 years participate in at least 60 minutes of physical activity daily. In 2011, 29% of high school students surveyed had participated in at least 60 minutes per day of physical activity on all 7 days before the survey, and only 31% attended physical education class everyday.

Not all is rosy in Bloomberg’s backyard, either. Last fall, the New York Times reported on an audit of the physical education program for city schools and not one of the schools visited were in full compliance with state guidelines. The city’s Department of Education has also failed to file its physical education plans with the state since 1982, ignoring state guidelines that plans be reviewed and updated every seven years.

Read more: Coke Claims Innocence In Obesity Epidemic | The Daily Feed | Minyanville.com

The point is he just wants control. Its like liberals who advocate a one gun per month policy. So many ways around it, it's just plain stupid, and it takes your rights away.
They're just seeing how people react, pretty soon, they'll start attacking Coca-Cola and Reddenbacher and any "unfit" food.

Yes, it would seem stupid to most adults. The messaging is part of a wellness culture which states that prevention is the best fight against healthcare costs. Kindof like not allowing pepsi/coke to sell sodas in grammar school.

I understand the concern of that having these big drinks creates a culture where Big Gulp is considered a "normal" size in the minds of kids, but it doesn't justify the regulation. We should get rid of soda machines in schools though.

I'd agree that less soda is better in the schools. Still, most soda drinkers I know are wired, skinny, and hyper. :lol: The carbohydrates and limited physical activity are the bigger problem. Personally, I think there should be more time between classes, with the room assignments spaced out, on different floors, all throughout the buildings. Limit the use of elevators too. Kids using mass transit, like subways with transfers, do get some added exercise.

Give liberals a little power and they go pants-crapping insane.

bloomberg isn't a "liberal"

You are correct. he is an out of control Statist.
icon14.gif
:lol: Learn a new word, dope.

This can't really be a surprise to anyone.

If you want gov't controlling the size of cups restaurants can use, there's not really any aspect of your meal you have a principled issue with gov't controlling.

icon14.gif

Actually he is an out of control Progressive Statist. He is into protecting what is his, and will resort to any control to accomplish that end. Some of that might be goo dor us all by chance. That does not excuse the fact that he remains a control freak, a control freak that should not even still be in office, had he respected the rule of law. Of course rules were never meant to apply to him, see, he is special, and should be granted special privilege.

Last edited:

icon14.gif

Why come up with a new word to describe something already covered by an existing term?

Seriously, though, is there any basic concept more anti-freedom than the belief that people should be protected from themselves by those with political power? This shit is turning into I, Robot without the futuristic computer villian. You know what government could do to -really- protect us from ourselves? Bubbles. Put us all in bulletproof, polymer bubbles with feeding tubes. That way our leaders, who were popular enough to get votes and therefore are enlightened enough to run our lives, can make sure we're only consuming government approved nutrients and nobody's being a greedy little free spirited piggy. It'll also prevent most citizen-vs-citizen violence. . . crime rates in general would plummet. Truly it would be paradise. Unadulterated, nanny state, rounded corners, illusion of security paradise.

Last edited:
i don't understand, no sales of sodas larger than 16oz, but refills are ok. hmmm hardly sounds like an infringement on choices.

when they say no more street dogs, give me a call.

When they came for the Jews..... Good Job Kiki.. Actually you made me think here.

Why soda and not PITCHERS of beer? Or the Imperial Pints of Guiness? Simple folks.

THEY are already taxed.. The gambit here is the same old gambit used on tobacco. Villify it, restrict it's use, use weak perverted "public health" arguments --

Pretty soon --- you can TAX IT.

And that's why a RINO like Bloomberg spends so much time and effort focusing on YOUR waistline. He's actually looking at your wallet.

Last edited:
Where did anyone on this thread get the idea that Bloomberg is a "Liberal"?

What specifically led you believe this?

Liberals think this idea sucks too. I should know, I'm a New York Liberal and I think it sucks.

Jon Stewart has been ragging on this since Bloomberg came up with the idea.

Liberals think this idea sucks too. I should know, I'm a New York Liberal and I think it sucks.

I've posted that he should be encouraging more exercise..but..when Michelle Obama did that..conservatives ragged on her too.

I think, however, this is a patently bad idea.

Yes, it would seem stupid to most adults. The messaging is part of a wellness culture which states that prevention is the best fight against healthcare costs. Kindof like not allowing pepsi/coke to sell sodas in grammar school.

I understand the concern of that having these big drinks creates a culture where Big Gulp is considered a "normal" size in the minds of kids, but it doesn't justify the regulation. We should get rid of soda machines in schools though.

I'd agree that less soda is better in the schools. Still, most soda drinkers I know are wired, skinny, and hyper. :lol: The carbohydrates and limited physical activity are the bigger problem. Personally, I think there should be more time between classes, with the room assignments spaced out, on different floors, all throughout the buildings. Limit the use of elevators too. Kids using mass transit, like subways with transfers, do get some added exercise.

Kids can opt out of gym classes..which have been defunded..by the way.

That's more the problem.

Exercise is a factor, but when kids are consuming 2,500+ calories a day, you can strap then to a treadmill and they're still going to be overweight.

Nanny Bloomberg won't stop at banning large sodas. This was predictable. Once they start telling people what to do, they can't stop and keep looking for more things to control.

City health experts are weighing whether to extend the potential big-soda ban to other fattening snacks such as juices and popcorn

Read more: City health experts are weighing whether to extend the potential big-soda ban to other fattening snacks such as juices and popcorn - NY Daily News

Yeah, that's STUPID and waaaaay too controlling for me. It makes me glad that I moved down here to Virginia.

I've posted that he should be encouraging more exercise..but..when Michelle Obama did that..conservatives ragged on her too.

I think, however, this is a patently bad idea.

Walk towards the Light, Sallow. :lol: ;)

True. Even Liberal doesn't describe Democrats any longer...progressive doesn't do them justice either.

Bloomberg isn't a Democrat.

The last time he belonged to either party, he ran as a Republican.

He ran as a Republican because he could not insure the Democratic Slot. ;)

And Unfortunately Gulliani assurede New Yorkers he was "OK"...

Rudy? What were you thinking?

Forum List

Back