Name that air plane

Last edited:
I know he was supposedly captured by Canadians and eventually held here. But there were some dates that didn't make sense in his recantation. Like I said, much of what he said didn't make sense.

Yes, it was a small propellar and the sound was very unerving.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMZrW0p2INY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMZrW0p2INY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

They were nicknamed the "Trumpets of Jericho"

Wonder if he was a Nazi criminal in hiding?

Naw, probably nothing that interesting. I think he just mixed stuff up because his brain was pickled from too much brandy and pepsi. His wife was the same way, they were serious drinkers. If you went by his wife's account, given their age difference they married and had a child (that died) when she was 12 or 13. Possible, but again her story doesn't add up either. They could have lied about some things to get into the country, but he definitely served in the war, under the Nazis. How they really wound up here is anyone's guess.

If it was a side view I could tell you more about the unit, I can only see 2 letters on the wing.

There does appear to be a bi plane in the background which is another indication it's a pre WWII shot. Not sure on the make of the Bi Plane, looks like a Heinkel He-51.

Naw, probably nothing that interesting. I think he just mixed stuff up because his brain was pickled from too much brandy and pepsi. His wife was the same way, they were serious drinkers. If you went by his wife's account, given their age difference they married and had a child (that died) when she was 12 or 13. Possible, but again her story doesn't add up either. They could have lied about some things to get into the country, but he definitely served in the war, under the Nazis. How they really wound up here is anyone's guess.
A lot of German's right after the war that got out either were involved and changed their story to hide it do to guilt or they just didn't want people to assume they were Nazi's.

You're right.......it IS a Stuka. My bad (angle was kinda hard to tell from).
You mistook a Stuka for a 109? Good Lord man, you need to hit the books again! :lol:

Stuka.jpg

Me109-124f.jpg

Can't expect a Navy guy to know anything about aircraft, little details like the gull wing and the giant cowling should have been a dead give away, certainly nothing like the 109....... and I didn't even serve....... show him a picture of a boat.:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah Shit Arrow.......especially when the Navy has more airplanes than the Air Farce.

Try again douchebag.

I guess you also didn't notice that it had wheel pants because the main gear didn't retract like the 109, how many models did you build?:lol::lol::lol:

A lot of German's right after the war that got out either were involved and changed their story to hide it do to guilt or they just didn't want people to assume they were Nazi's.

He never denied anything, in fact, just the opposite. I think they might have been lying about the POW story, though. On the other hand, they didn't know what day of the week it was half the time, so who knows. He spoke to my FIL about it the most, but he passed away years ago and my mil avoided them as much as humanly possible.n She has more of his war paraphernalia, I should check it out the next time I'm there if she lets me.

Last edited:
There does appear to be a bi plane in the background which is another indication it's a pre WWII shot. Not sure on the make of the Bi Plane, looks like a Heinkel He-51.
Very good Xenophon! I didn't even notice the bipe until you pointed it out. It does appear to be either a Heinkel 51 or perhaps a Henschel 123.
Upon closer examination I think you're right.

MysteryPlane02.jpg

It appears to have an upright V engine rather than a radial which would make it a Heinkel 51. But it appears to have single, rather than double wing struts also. Hmmm.

He51b1_1_mlg.jpg

Heinkel 51

hs123b2gi_3.jpg

Henschel 123

I think it's the heinkel, the bad quality of the print makes it look like one strut,but I can't be sure.

The Green camo line is razored not hazed on the Stuka, so it has to be prewar or 39.

BTW, I used to build models for museums, i have constructed over 1,000, some of my work sits in the intrepid museum in NY.

Forum List

Back