Name that air plane

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
The person who took this photo is no longer alive, so we can't ask him about it and there is no detail written on the back. Anyone have any ideas?

plnwwii.jpg

I've built anything from tanks to planes, and cars to trains. If it was a model, when I was younger (under the age of 13), I'd build it if it looked interesting.

Carriers are also fun.........

I've built anything from tanks to planes, and cars to trains. If it was a model, when I was younger (under the age of 13), I'd build it if it looked interesting.

Carriers are also fun.........

You did better than me. I never progressed farther than the little guy with the saran wrap parachute. :lol:

Those were fun too! Nothing like firing one up in the air outta a slingshot!

Forget what they were called though.......they were funny looking dudes with oversized noses and such.

The person who took this photo is no longer alive, so we can't ask him about it and there is no detail written on the back. Anyone have any ideas?

plnwwii.jpg

It's a Junkers Stuka Ju 87B.

Stuka means 'divebomber' in German, you can tell it's a B version by the shape of the Jumo engine air intake.

ju87b2.gif

This type was used from the start of WWII in sept 1939 until about 1941 when it began to be replaced by an uprated Stuka witha new engine, the 'G' model.

ju87.jpg

Notice the differnt shape of the engine intake (right behind the propellar).

Your photo appears to be either a pre war Stuka or one serving in Luftfottle V in Norway circa 1940-41, as it has no color on the wing tips and no band around the real fusalauge.

Yes, it was a small propellar and the sound was very unerving.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMZrW0p2INY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMZrW0p2INY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[q

Your photo appears to be either a pre war Stuka or one serving in Luftfottle V in Norway circa 1940-41, as it has no color on the wing tips and no band around the real fusalauge.

Thanks. The owner of the photo didn't necessarily take the photo, so I'm not entirely sure where it was taken and if he actually took the picture. He was an old crank and we found it among his things after he died. We never asked him about his war experiences and he only volunteered bits and pieces that didn't make much sense - his english was bad and he was usually drunk.

Forum List

Back