N.J. Assembly approves 2-year tax hike on millionaires

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
An Assembly budget panel has approved a two-year income tax increase on New Jersey's 16,000 millionaires.

Democrats say the surcharge will generate more than $500 million in additional revenue. They want to use the money mostly for aid to public schools.

A Senate panel is scheduled to take up the measure tonight.

Gov. Chris Christie has vowed to veto the tax.

N.J. Assembly budget panel approves 2-year tax hike on millionaires | NJ.com

Complicated issue. Since the NJ Supreme Court has found that the state needs to restore $500 million in school aid cuts, I don't see how Christie has a choice.

But with that said, can someone help me with this math?

The top tax rate will be raised from 8.97 to almost 11%. 16,000 people are expected to pay $500 million MORE? Do you think these people might deserve a thank you?

It blows my mind.

The experience in MD was that when the tax on millionaires was raised suddenly the state had many fewer millionaires. Look for an influx of wealthy people into Delaware or Pennsylvania.
Policies like that never work out.

Christie agrees. He plans to veto.

Gov. Chris Christie says a millionaires' tax will be dead on arrival if it reaches his desk.

Democrats are expected to approve a bill Wednesday that would tax the state's 16,000 or so wealthiest income tax filers at 10.75 percent for two years. They want to use most of the revenue to boost aid to suburban schools.

Christie called the surcharge a "jobs killer" and said there's no chance he'll sign it.

Appearing on Millennium Radio's "Ask the Governor" program Tuesday, the Republican governor says the tax would make New Jersey uncompetitive with neighboring states that have lower income tax rates.

He said New York is about to drop its top rate to 7 percent while in Pennsylvania the rate is 3 percent.

Gov. Christie Pledges Millionaires' Tax Veto - New Jersey 101.5 FM

I still don't understand those numbers. 16K people - 500 million dollars MORE?

In the words of Judge Judy "If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true".

The Dem Legislature may be able to override the veto.

An Assembly budget panel has approved a two-year income tax increase on New Jersey's 16,000 millionaires.

Democrats say the surcharge will generate more than $500 million in additional revenue. They want to use the money mostly for aid to public schools.

Complicated issue. Since the NJ Supreme Court has found that the state needs to restore $500 million in school aid cuts, I don't see how Christie has a choice.

The top tax rate will be raised from 8.97 to almost 11%. 16,000 people are expected to pay $500 million MORE? Do you think these people might deserve a thank you?

It blows my mind.

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!! for PA

:lol:

$500 Million / 16000 = $31250 each, in "state tax". That = 16000 more unemployed people in NJ to compensate for the lose of income.

And the NJ SC is going to force Cristi to sign!!! :rofl:

Come to PA where we don't beleive in taxation as punishment or vengence. well, we did, but they got voted out.

Maybe they shoould jsut close all the schools.

then everyone will move out of the state

The experience in MD was that when the tax on millionaires was raised suddenly the state had many fewer millionaires. Look for an influx of wealthy people into Delaware or Pennsylvania.

:eusa_shhh: :anj_stfu: :eusa_shhh: :anj_stfu: :eusa_shhh:

Do you not think that wealthy people move in response to high tax rates? Or do you think "sticking it to da man" is worth it?

:eusa_shhh: :anj_stfu: :eusa_shhh: :anj_stfu: :eusa_shhh:

Do you not think that wealthy people move in response to high tax rates? Or do you think "sticking it to da man" is worth it?

I live in PA.

so let NJ stick it to it's money makers. Many will move here since it's still near NY.

I live in PA.

so let NJ stick it to it's money makers. Many will move here since it's still near NY.

OK. So you agree with my post. Thanks. I'll look for your pos rep.

Tis better to give than receive. :eusa_pray:

And PA is going to be the home of some new millionairs.

Damn, you gotta love having fools just across the boarder.

This will provide (at best) a short term fix that will exascerbate a longer term problem.

It blows my mind.

The only millionaires paying the full 11% tax rate are either those who choose to or suckers with bad Accountants.

For example, despite all the outrage about the rich maybe having to pay 39% of their income to the federal government (the rate it was during the Clinton years), those who make more than $10 million pay on average 19%.

5 Sneaky Ways the Super Rich Avoid Taxes | Naked Law by Avvo.com

The richer you are, the less you actually end up paying in taxes.

Warren Buffett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buffett stated that he only paid 19% of his income for 2006 ($48.1 million) in total federal taxes (due to their being from dividends & capital gains), while his employees paid 33% of theirs, despite making much less money.[130] “How can this be fair?” Buffet asked, regarding how little he pays in taxes compared to his employees. “How can this be right?”

It blows my mind.

That's an average additional tax bill of about $31,000 on people with an average AGI of about 2 millioin (back-of-the-napkin calculation). I don't think it'll break the bank, but for those on the low side of those averages I suspect it's a significant amount.

Forum List

Back