My thoughts on the Islamic world.

Syrenn -

As soon a you call Islam a 'cult' I know I am dealing with someone who is not up to speed on this topic.

Islam is one of the three great Abrahamic religions, and all three are worthy of respect.

If you wish to attack a cult, start with Scientology.

Ok, hold on. So being abrahamic is the way to get respect? Otherwise you can get pushed around? That doesn't make sense. Who the hell is abraham? Why should I respect something just because he was mentioned in it?

I don't have to respect anything that contradicts the modern age human values...

Alpine -

I believe that we should respect any religion which is both ancient and has hundreds of million of members.

Personally I have less respect for some of the newer religions because they have yet to stand the tet of time, and those which have only ever existed as fringe beliefs, but even so - people can believe what they want to believe.

It i a very sad thing in this world that people do not respect the basic freedom of religious worship.

Alpine -

I believe that we should respect any religion which is both ancient and has hundreds of million of members.

Personally I have less respect for some of the newer religions because they have yet to stand the tet of time, and those which have only ever existed as fringe beliefs, but even so - people can believe what they want to believe.

It i a very sad thing in this world that people do not respect the basic freedom of religious worship.

I could not agree more with your last words. And it is sad to see islam removing this freedom from the people it has domination over.

Should I respect that also?

Amhediyya muslims of Pakistan are not allowed to practice their religion and live a life like a regular part of the society. Should I respect that for instance?

Alevis of turkey are not allowed to practive their religion as they wish. Their temples are not religious sites according to the sunni turkish government. Should I respect that?

Is it disrespectful calling for an ending to the religious pressures to the people of those religious countries?

I think there is a big problem with the approach to the problem and the simple intention to make people more free turns into a race to pampering religions into pushing themselves in more cruel ways into its own people.

Syrenn -

As soon a you call Islam a 'cult' I know I am dealing with someone who is not up to speed on this topic.

Islam is one of the three great Abrahamic religions, and all three are worthy of respect.

If you wish to attack a cult, start with Scientology.

i call all religions cults... not just islam. islam is a cult just like all the rest.

And just wondering... what do you think the romans thought the new group of "chirstians" were.... a great religion..or a cult.

all religions are cults.... just better organized at brainwashing and more main stream then the rest.

Alpine -

Why should that garner blind......*cough* respect?

Beating women is also an ancient practice held by just about every culture that ever was.....should that too be respected?

aaahh... no "newer" religions should have less respect...... So what is good for some religions is not good for others....... gotcha.

good to know that you think its sad that " people do not respect the basic freedom of religious worship" ..... the muslims seem to have the most problem with that..... They of course want all the freedom to their religion.... just not give any other religion the same respect.

Syrenn -

Ok, well at least you are consistent!

Alpine -

Respecting a religion does not mean condoning its practices.

I abhor Catholic attitudes toward contraception and its history of child abuse, but I can still respect Catholicism as a great religion with an impressive history. I dont think Catholics should be abused in person or on the internet.

I agree that Islam is not alway tolerant of other religions, and I believe that we should ensure that in our countries freedom of religion is always maintained. I don't believe that we need to condemn Islam in order to do so.

Beating women is also an ancient practice held by just about every culture that ever was.....should that too be respected?

No, I don't believe it should. And neither should clitoretomy, stoning people to death or rape within marriage.

Again, this should not mean condemning the religion in which these practices occur (or have occured historically) but encouraging them to join the 21st century.

What many people tend to be unaware of is that Islam has adapted to 21st century ethics in many countries, while laging behind in others. There are also some fairly barbaric practices conducted within other major religions in less developed countries, and these will also naturally evolve through education and development.

For instance - clitorectomy predates Islam in Ethiopia, and is often conducted there on girls who are Christians as well. Thus Islam is not the problem of itself - the development of Ethiopian culture is.

Syrenn -

Alpine -

I abhor Catholic attitudes toward contraception and its history of child abuse, but I can still respect Catholicism as a great religion with an impressive history. I dont think Catholics should be abused in person or on the internet.

I agree that Islam is not alway tolerant of other religions, and I believe that we should ensure that in our countries freedom of religion is always maintained. I don't believe that we need to condemn Islam in order to do so.

aaahhhh yes.... a good brainwashing tenet..... blind respect even if you don't condone its practices.... :thup:

Islam... not always tolerant of other religions? ....damn man that makes me laugh.... We are talking about the same religion that blew up an ancient Buddha....

No, I don't believe it should. And neither should clitoretomy, stoning people to death or rape within marriage.

Again, this should not mean condemning the religion in which these practices occur (or have occured historically) but encouraging them to join the 21st century.

What many people tend to be unaware of is that Islam has adapted to 21st century ethics in many countries, while laging behind in others. There are also some fairly barbaric practices conducted within other major religions in less developed countries, and these will also naturally evolve through education and development.

For instance - clitorectomy predates Islam in Ethiopia, and is often conducted there on girls who are Christians as well. Thus Islam is not the problem of itself - the development of Ethiopian culture is.

ill go with that.... muslims are still living in the 16th century and have a few thousand years of religious reform to go.

Syrenn -

Alpine -

Respect should be due to the people of that faith. They have the right to believe in anything. But respecting the religion is different. Religions are no different from ideas. They have parts they got right and parts they got wrong. Islam has a lot of things it got wrong, from its child abuse to women rights and its conquest mentality. And these are effecting my everyday life directly. It is not something that is happening 10.000 miles away, it is something happening on my doorstep.

I can not respect it when I am being beaten up by an angry mob just because I did something wrong according to this one particular book that I believe is full of bull crap, can I? Of course I will condemn them for their actions and their religion for causing this madness. What other option do I have?

Alpine -

What I think you overlook is that Christianity is no stranger to evil practices either. Name any religion, and you can find some barbaric practices within it - at least barbaric to us here in the west in 2012.

Cultures and religions evolve. They don't always evolve into what you or I might choose.

Syrenn -

May I ask if you have ever actually been in an Islamic country?

I just wonder whether you are basing your judgements more on hearsay than reality. Saying that Islam is 16th century doesn't suggest to me that you are aware of the Islamic countries that enjoy a very 21st centiry lifestyle, and with vry 21st century sensibilities. Judging all of Islam by Saudi Arabia's standards is like judging the American continent based on Colombia or Nicaragua.

Last edited:
Alpine -

What I think you overlook is that Christianity is no stranger to evil practices either. Name any religion, and you can find some barbaric practices within it - at least barbaric to us here in the west in 2012.

Cultures and religions evolve. They don't always evolve into what you or I might choose.

Syrenn -

I just wonder whether you are basing your judgements more on hearsay than reality.

calling islam a cult is not hearsay...it is a reality.

Saying that islam is intolerant.... is not hearsay... it is a reality of the teachings of the "religion"

Saying that islam is several thousands of years stunted and backward....is not hearsay...it is a reality. You even said it in so many words yourself.

Remove muslims from the hate and intolerance of the religion.... and they are normal good people. It is their religion and abiding to said "religion" that makes them evil.... that to is a reality.

Does THIS look like a 16th century civilisation?

kuala_lumpur.jpg

Saying that islam is several thousands of years stunted and backward....is not hearsay...it is a reality. You even said it in so many words yourself.

No, not exactly - I said that some Islamic countries are, to use your words, 'stunted and backward'. Yemen is, Nigeria is, Sudan is. Saudi Arabia is, in some ways. Others are not.

And it is this inability to distinguish the difference between the two that suggests to me that you are relying on hearsay.

Others - like the one pictured above - are no more backward than the US is.

Alpine -

Syrenn -

I just wonder whether you are basing your judgements more on hearsay than reality.

And what I think you overlook is that islam does actually practice those evil practices. They are not some words in some book, they are reality.

Christianity should also be criticized if it does so.

I don't really care if they evolve or collapse and die, I wouldn't care less. I have its direct effects in my life and I will do anything by all means to stop that. So you can either support people suffering from islam or support islam against criticism and so called insults.

I am 100% sure I can talk you into supporting me against islam.

And what I think you overlook is that islam does actually practice those evil practices. They are not some words in some book, they are reality.

And again - there are approximately 30 Islamic countries.

Of those, around a half-dozen are stuck back in the 16th century and use barbaric practices.

Thus it makes more sense to me to encurage development in those countries - and not to right off Islam wholesale because people can not distinguish between Yemen and Turkey.

Does THIS look like a 16th century civilisation?

kuala_lumpur.jpg

yes oil has made some of them rich..... and i am not speaking of the technology. Not all muslims live in new age cities either......

I am speaking about the religion and the mentality it creates.

And again - there are approximately 30 Islamic countries.

Of those, around a half-dozen are stuck back in the 16th century and use barbaric practices.

Thus it makes more sense to me to encurage development in those countries - and not to right off Islam wholesale because people can not distinguish between Yemen and Turkey.

But remember, arabia is the source of islam, not kuala lumpur.

And of course turkey is no yemen but also remember it was once upon a time, before turkey had a non-believer leader who tried to change the fate of its people and gave them secularism. Remember ottomans.

No, not exactly - I said that some Islamic countries are, to use your words, 'stunted and backward'. Yemen is, Nigeria is, Sudan is. Saudi Arabia is, in some ways. Others are not.

And it is this inability to distinguish the difference between the two that suggests to me that you are relying on hearsay.

Others - like the one pictured above - are no more backward than the US is.

Sorry... the muslim views on women is 16th century.... and that pervasive to ALL muslims regardless of how much money they have or where they live.

The muslim view on intolerance of any and all other religions.... is 16th century.

Forum List

Back