My Steak!!:(

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
I love medium rare. Even coined the phrase "If it is not mooing, I'm booing"

However, I suck at making Medium Rare steaks. In fact, Just an hour ago, I attempted to grill the perfect steak---I burnt it it (came out Medium)

any tips on grilling the perfect medium rare steak?

How I do three zone grilling on a Weber...

candycorn.jpg

Gordon has the right idea. I don't put all that stuff in the pan, except the butter, salt and pepper. If I have a good steak, I don't normally want to season it with garlic but this looks pretty good.

If you want to learn how to grill properly, as well as get some really good ideas for grilling and recipies, I recommend watching PBS on Saturday (at least, that is when it comes on here in Amarillo), and checking out "Project Smoke with Steven Raichlen".

Not only does he describe and demonstrate various grilling techniques, he tells you why they work better in some situations than others. I also recommend getting a chimney starter for your charcoal.

However, I suck at making Medium Rare steaks. In fact, Just an hour ago, I attempted to grill the perfect steak---I burnt it it (came out Medium)

For a 1 in filet, get the grill real hot, sear the steak for 1 minute on each side, then grill for 5 minutes on one side, turn over and grill for 3 minutes. Add 1 minute after turning on a 1 1/4 in filet (5 and 4), 1 minute before turning on a 1 1/2 in filet (6 and 4) and make it 7 and 5 on a 1 3/4 filet.

It works every time for me.

If you want to learn how to grill properly, as well as get some really good ideas for grilling and recipies, I recommend watching PBS on Saturday (at least, that is when it comes on here in Amarillo), and checking out "Project Smoke with Steven Raichlen".

Not only does he describe and demonstrate various grilling techniques, he tells you why they work better in some situations than others. I also recommend getting a chimney starter for your charcoal.

Good advice. I've got two of his books here..."How to Grill" and "Barbecue Bible". His BBQ U series is amazing.

Use this chart. It hasn't failed me yet. Try to see that the steak is fairly close to room temp before putting it on the grill.

I used to prefer medium-rare, then my liking shifted to medium, and now it is medium-well. A good steak and a good chef should be able to do justice to any doneness.

steakchart.gif

Forum List

Back