My Steak!!:(

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
I love medium rare. Even coined the phrase "If it is not mooing, I'm booing"

However, I suck at making Medium Rare steaks. In fact, Just an hour ago, I attempted to grill the perfect steak---I burnt it it (came out Medium)

any tips on grilling the perfect medium rare steak?

Easier to do with two pans, one very hot and one just plain hot. I prepare steak with a rub of butter, add spices and throw it on a super hot pan. The sizzle will sear in the juices of the steak. Cook about one or one and a half minutes and turn to the other side. The first side should have a hard kind of crusty texture. When the second side has seared, throw it into the pre-heated second pan. It should be sizzle hot but less hot and sizzle than the first pan. One way to test the heat temp is with a piece of mushroom or onion to judge the sizzle factor; The steak should cook about 3 o 4 minutes on each side, but use the finger press method to judge it minute or moment by moment. Press the steak with you finger. It should have the texture or feel of the same finger test as pressing the portion of you palm just below your thumb. If the steak feels the same as that portion of you thumb it is done. A medium done steak will feel like the fleshy portion of your hand on the side of the hand below the pinky finger. After a few times, you will figure out what your own choice perfect steak feels like with the finger press method.
Never turn with a fork or anything that punctures the steak. always use thongs.
Never marinate with salt. It will dry your steak out. If you use salt wait till the last minute to apply it.
Be sure to "rest' your steak before cutting into it. The juices need to congeal. If you cut into it too soon the juices will flow out and leave the remainder of the steak dry. Let it rest for three to five minute.
Olive oil can substitute for butter.
OK, that is how I do it. I am not a chef and have never taken a cooking class. This is nothing more than ones guys personal way of cooking steak.

Forum List

Back