My solution to the obesity crisis: competitive games every morning

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
HBschool1_2358102e.jpg

Yes, of course we should avoid being rude or judgmental, they said: but the reality is that we have an obesity time-bomb. If we go on like this we will have an epidemic of diabetes– and they started to recite some of the horrors of that increasingly prevalent disease, the ulcerations and amputations; and by this stage I could see they were right.

The NHS is already spending an extra £10 billion a year on dealing with totally preventable ailments that are the consequences of obesity. Jeremy Hunt has identified it as the single biggest challenge we face in public health. But before you all despair I want to suggest a solution, or a part-solution; one that will not only help our kids lose weight but will define the difference between One Nation Tories and the Loony Left who have taken over the Labour party.

OK: I know I'm fat...at least by world standards. My solution; stop eating so much!!! Guess what; it's working. I'm starting to hate carrots though.

But I do agree about the exercise. I injured my shoulder and achilles at the end of last year; the result was I had to give away basketball and tennis plus "bored eating" and an extra 15kgs. I've lost about 10 in the last two months but still a way to go. It is helping that my shoulder is back OK so tennis is good and I'm cycling rather than playing BBall.

Greg

You can't outrun a bad diet.

Not completely, but you can come pretty damn close. I'm over 50 years old. I lift weights three days per week and run about 25 miles per week. I also consume 3000 to 4000 calories per day. I weigh 140 lbs. When I was in high school, I consumed about 6000 calories per day.

If you don't change the way you eat, what you eat and why you eat, nothing else is really going to work. Some people gain weight with exercise because it makes them hungrier. It really isn't rocket science, there's no magic bullet or pill.

HBschool1_2358102e.jpg

Yes, of course we should avoid being rude or judgmental, they said: but the reality is that we have an obesity time-bomb. If we go on like this we will have an epidemic of diabetes– and they started to recite some of the horrors of that increasingly prevalent disease, the ulcerations and amputations; and by this stage I could see they were right.

The NHS is already spending an extra £10 billion a year on dealing with totally preventable ailments that are the consequences of obesity. Jeremy Hunt has identified it as the single biggest challenge we face in public health. But before you all despair I want to suggest a solution, or a part-solution; one that will not only help our kids lose weight but will define the difference between One Nation Tories and the Loony Left who have taken over the Labour party.

Nickolodean has the right idea: preempt children's programming until later on in the day so kids play outside. Other day noticed a couple cartoon channels had some graphic up saying it's national go outside and play day or to that effect. If there was nothing for kids on tv til like 5pm or so maybe more would go outside and do things.

Remember a PSA about this 20 odd years ago. "Get muching off your mind." Song went like, "Go outside, find something to do, get munching off your mind." :) Course to me as with anti-smoking commercials it just made me wanna snack. :)

There is no childhood obesity crisis in the first place. It's a myth.

No, there are way too many fat kids today, and it's because they do not get enough exercise.
Where are all these fat kids? I live in close proximity to 2 elementary schools, a Jr. high and a high school.

They walk down my street and take a shortcut through my yard all the time. I'm not seeing any more fat kids than there was 30 years ago. Probably less.

No, there are way too many fat kids today, and it's because they do not get enough exercise.
Where are all these fat kids? I live in close proximity to 2 elementary schools, a Jr. high and a high school.

They walk down my street and take a shortcut through my yard all the time. I'm not seeing any more fat kids than there was 30 years ago. Probably less.

---
"Childhood obesity rates have more than tripled since 1980. The overall rates have remained the same for the past 10 years."

Obesity Rates & Trends Overview: The State of Obesity

---
"Childhood obesity rates have more than tripled since 1980. The overall rates have remained the same for the past 10 years."

Obesity Rates & Trends Overview: The State of Obesity
That's a myth.

If you live in a decent middle class neighborhood or better, those kids are eating better and getting more exercise because the parents see to it. It's in the lower income areas where we see more kids turning out fat. But that isn't to say there aren't fat kids in your community, because I'm sure there are. Kids just do not get anywhere near the same amount of exercise we got as kids. Besides that, statistics do not lie.

If you live in a decent middle class neighborhood or better, those kids are eating better and getting more exercise because the parents see to it. It's in the lower income areas where we see more kids turning out fat. But that isn't to say there aren't fat kids in your community, because I'm sure there are. Kids just do not get anywhere near the same amount of exercise we got as kids. Besides that, statistics do not lie.
What part of Toledo are you from?

Do you see kids getting fatter and fatter in your neighborhood?

You can't outrun a bad diet.

Not completely, but you can come pretty damn close. I'm over 50 years old. I lift weights three days per week and run about 25 miles per week. I also consume 3000 to 4000 calories per day. I weigh 140 lbs. When I was in high school, I consumed about 6000 calories per day.

You probably had to consume 6,000 calories in high school to compensate for all the sexual energy you were burning.

It's not just kids that are fat. Take a good look at the adult population. It's because we've become sedentary due to a cushier lifestyle. It simply takes less effort to live these days. Things are so automated. We come home and sit down and veg out in front of a screen be it TV or computer. There we sit for hours on end, our rear end. Not good for good health. And we eat crap food.

It's not just kids that are fat. Take a good look at the adult population. It's because we've become sedentary due to a cushier lifestyle. It simply takes less effort to live these days. Things are so automated. We come home and sit down and veg out in front of a screen be it TV or computer. There we sit for hours on end, our rear end. Not good for good health. And we eat crap food.
Of course you speak for your individual self. The vast majority of people in the USA don't suffer from the same condition as you do.

Of course you speak for your individual self. The vast majority of people in the USA don't suffer from the same condition as you do.

How do you possibly have any idea about me? I was stating my observations, nothing more. I happen to be slender, thank you very much.

Forum List

Back