Statins: Heart disease drug speeds up ageing process, warns new research

1treedancer

Sep 20, 2015
Thank god I ignored my primary care doc when my cholestanol was a bit high. He wanted to put me on statins. Took some over the counter niacin instead, plus a vigorous exercise program,that put it back in range.

"Scientists have found the heart disease drug badly affects our stem cells, the internal medical system which repairs damage to our bodies and protects us from muscle and joint pain as well as memory loss. "

"They include memory loss, muscle pain, diabetes, cataracts, liver dysfunction, diabetes, fatigue and memory loss "

"Statins prevented stem cells from performing their main functions, to reproduce and replicate other cells in the body to carry out repairs."

Thank god I ignored my primary care doc when my cholestanol was a bit high. He wanted to put me on statins. Took some over the counter niacin instead, plus a vigorous exercise program,that put it back in range.

"Scientists have found the heart disease drug badly affects our stem cells, the internal medical system which repairs damage to our bodies and protects us from muscle and joint pain as well as memory loss. "

"They include memory loss, muscle pain, diabetes, cataracts, liver dysfunction, diabetes, fatigue and memory loss "

"Statins prevented stem cells from performing their main functions, to reproduce and replicate other cells in the body to carry out repairs."

Statins are bad news all the way around. Both my parents were on them and nearly lost their eyesight. After stopping their use, their eyesight improved dramatically.

OP wrote: Took some over the counter niacin instead, plus a vigorous exercise program,that put it back in range.

Did you have any problems with feeling agitated or shortness of temper?

I've tried niacin but had to stop due to shortness of temper and feeling aggravated from it.

OP wrote: Took some over the counter niacin instead, plus a vigorous exercise program,that put it back in range.

Did you have any problems with feeling agitated or shortness of temper?

I've tried niacin but had to stop due to shortness of temper and feeling aggravated from it.

I've never personally taken any statins. That was my parents who had those issues with them. When my cholesterol hit 250, I changed my diet and started exercising. Now my cholesterol is under 170.

A huge problem is that doctors were prescribing statins to combat high cholesterol, however, high cholesterol isn't necessarily a problem in the first place. So the patient is hit by the deleterious side-effects without any chance of receiving any positive benefits to their health from the drug.

Statins Could Benefit Those at Risk of Cardiovascular Disease...
icon_cool.gif

Study: Statins Could Benefit Those at Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
January 06, 2017 - For people who are at risk of getting cardiovascular disease — but don’t yet have it — a U.S. task force and a large, international study conclude they could benefit from taking a daily pill.
Worldwide, 1 billion people are affected by cardiovascular disease — diseases of the heart and blood vessels — and more than 17 million will die from them this year. In the U.S., cardiovascular disease kills 1-in-3 Americans. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force decided to review risk factors and prevention measures to try to change that. “The risk factors for cardiovascular disease include high cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking, diabetes and your age,” said Dr. Douglas Owens, a task force member who has reviewed the data on cardiovascular disease.

What statins do

Family history is also a factor. To combat the disease, many doctors recommend taking a daily cholesterol-lowering drug called a statin. “A statin is a drug that helps reduce the production of cholesterol in the liver,” Owens said. “It primarily works by lowering the LDL cholesterol, which is the so-called bad cholesterol.” The task force now recommends that adults age 40 and older at risk for cardiovascular disease take a daily statin. The recommendations appear in the Journal of the American Medical Association. But it’s not just Americans who could benefit.

Worldwide study

An earlier study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that most people at risk for cardiovascular disease would be better off taking a statin drug. The study involved a racially diverse group of people on six continents, living in 21 countries, including men and women.

All were at risk for developing cardiovascular disease. In a five-year period, those taking a statin reduced their risk of heart attacks, strokes or heart-related deaths by 24 percent. “The benefits of statins are a reduction in heart attack, strokes and death,” Owens said. “And in patients who are at elevated risk for cardiovascular disease, the benefits outweigh the harms.”

The researchers say this shows a very simple approach to treatment that can be provided around the world: Have older adults at risk of developing cardiovascular disease take a statin. They say the medication is inexpensive enough to make this practical.

Study: Statins Could Benefit Those at Risk of Cardiovascular Disease

Your heart times your life including its end. Now that all that proud and bullish heart desease prevention has removed the end, you will lose your life to your ugliness. Congratulations. Don't worry, you don't need God, you will eagerly go with Satan. Hehehe.

Bacteria Could Help Heart Attack Sufferers...
cool.gif

Oxygen-Producing Bacteria Could Help Heart Attack Sufferers
June 15, 2017 - Photosynthetic bacteria and light may offer hope to heart disease patients, a new study suggests.
Researchers at Stanford University say that after injecting the bacteria into the hearts of rats with cardiac disease and using light to start photosynthesis, they were able to increase the flow of oxygen, improving heart function. “The beauty of it is that it’s a recycling system,” said Joseph Woo, senior author of the study. “You deliver the bacteria, they take up carbon dioxide, and with energy from the light, they form oxygen.”

The findings could help many who have a condition called cardiac ischemia, which restricts blood flow and the delivery of oxygen to the heart muscles. “We thought there is an interesting relationship in nature,” Woo said. “In nature, humans exhale carbon dioxide and plants convert it back to oxygen. During a heart attack, the muscle is still trying to pump. There’s carbon dioxide but no oxygen. We wondered if there were any way to use plant cells and put them next to heart cells to produce oxygen from the carbon dioxide.”

F48BBD1A-E927-4F3A-833F-33E0A8A492C4_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Photosynthetic cyanobacteria could help patients suffering from heart disease, according to a new study.​

At first, the researchers tried to use spinach and kale cells, but the chloroplasts, the structures where photosynthesis occurs, were not stable enough to live outside the plant. “So we kept looking around,” Woo said, saying the next option was photosynthetic bacteria called cyanobacteria because it is “more rugged” and could survive with heart cells in a petri dish.

After that, Woo and his team injected cyanobacteria into the beating hearts of anesthetized rats, comparing the oxygen levels among rats with their hearts exposed to light and rats that did not have light shined on their hearts. “The group that received the bacteria plus light had more oxygen and the heart worked better,” Woo said, adding that the bacteria “dissipated” in about 24 hours. Improved cardiac function lasted at least four weeks, he said. “This is still very preliminary,” Woo said. The study was published in the journal Science Advances.

Oxygen-Producing Bacteria Could Help Heart Attack Sufferers

See also:

Aspirin Linked to Higher Risk of Serious Bleeding in the Elderly
June 13, 2017 — People who are aged 75 or older and take aspirin daily to ward off heart attacks face a significantly elevated risk of serious or even fatal bleeding and should be given heartburn drugs to minimize the danger, a 10-year study has found.
Between 40 percent and 60 percent of people over the age of 75 in Europe and the United States take aspirin every day, previous studies have estimated, but the implications of long-term use in older people have remained unclear until now because most clinical trials involve patients younger than 75. The study published on Wednesday, however, was split equally between over-75s and younger patients, examining a total of 3,166 Britons who had suffered a heart attack or stroke and were taking blood-thinning medication to prevent a recurrence. Researchers emphasized that the findings did not mean that older patients should stop taking aspirin. Instead, they recommend broad use of proton pump inhibitor heartburn drugs such as omeprazole, which can cut the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding by 70 to 90 percent. While aspirin — invented by Bayer in 1897 and now widely available over the counter — is generally viewed as harmless, bleeding has long been a recognized hazard.

Peter Rothwell, one of the study authors, said that taking anti-platelet drugs such as aspirin prevented a fifth of recurrent heart attacks and strokes but also led to about 3,000 excess-bleeding deaths annually in Britain alone. The majority of these were in people older than 75. "In people under 75, the benefits of taking aspirin for secondary prevention after a heart attack or stroke clearly outweigh the relatively small risk of bleeding. These people needn't worry," Rothwell said. "In the over-75s the risk of a serious bleed is higher, but the key point is that this risk is substantially preventable by taking proton pump inhibitors alongside aspirin."

7936645F-D42E-4C56-AC33-B0B9E4776973_cx0_cy15_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Packages of aspirin fill the shelves of a drugstore​

Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine President Alan Boyd, who was not involved in the study, said it had been considered that the benefits of aspirin outweighed the risks of bleeding in all patients and that the new research would force a reappraisal. Rothwell, director of the Center for Prevention of Stroke and Dementia at Oxford University, and his colleagues found that the annual rate of life-threatening or fatal bleeds was less than 0.5 percent in under-65s, rising to 1.5 percent for those aged 75 to 84, and nearly 2.5 percent for over-85s.

Because the majority of patients studied were taking low-dose aspirin, rather than more modern anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel or AstraZeneca's Brilinta, the study could not draw conclusions about combined drug use. However, a commentary in The Lancet medical journal, where the study was published, noted that patients on dual anti-platelet therapy were known to have a higher risk of bleeding than those on monotherapy and that the research showed the need for regular evaluation of older patients.

Aspirin Linked to Higher Risk of Serious Bleeding in the Elderly

Last edited:
We know that statins link to nevoid basal cell carcinoma in SLOS (Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome) pcal phenomenon are noted here:

'....a patient with a more severe form of SLOS, who was treated with simvastatin, cholesterol, and sodium taurocholate developed hepatotoxic side effects and increased photosensitivity, requiring discontinuation of simvastatin therapy. They postulated that if simvastatin was acting by increased expression of a utant allewith residual active, it would not be of benefit and might be potentially harmful in patients who have very little residual DHCR7 activity.'
(DHCR7 and the Smith-Lemli-Opiz Syndrome and Cyclopamine Teratogenesis, in Epstein ed., Inborn Errors of Development)
Cyclopamine is a constituent of Veratrum californicum wch causes cyclopia in animals.

Natural cholesterol does not cross the blood-brain barrier, though statins do.

Most people don't need statin drugs. Some people actually have hereditary disorders in their metabolism, and they may benefit, but even that is questionable.

But of course, we must never question the for profit drug and insurance industry! They have your best interest at heart!

Forum List

Back