My Post WWII Walther P-38

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Just showed up at my door and she is a beauty. From what I can see the bore looks good but will get a better look when I strip her down. Definitely filthy but well lubed so yes I will have to do a good clean and re-lube. The obvious places of holster wear are present and the magazine looks like it has a very thin coating of cosmoline on it.

P-38 1.jpg

P-38 2.jpg

Check and make sure the locking lug isn't cracked....Alloy or steel frame?

147gr fodder works best in them, that's what their sights are regulated for.
No, no cracks and yup and it's an alloy frame, no +P ammo.

Took the slide off and yes it's gonna require a full disassembly, clean and re-lube.

Is it a P-38 or P-1? I can't tell by the rollmark on the slide......Did you get it from AIM?

BTW....I don't know what the fuck I was thinking, 124 gr fodder was what I meant to say.
It's stamped P38 on the slide. I know many claim that all post WWII alloy framed P38s are actually P1s but they didn't start stamping them with P1 until the 60's. So as far as I'm concerned it's a P38.........:)

It's stamped P38 on the slide. I know many claim that all post WWII P38s are actually P1s but they didn't start stamping them with P1 until the 60's. So as far as I'm concerned it's a P38.........:)
I had a post-war made one that still had a steel frame.

LOL.....I had two consecutive numbered French P-38s with the steel grips at one time. They were made by Mauser and coded svw 45 in the French occupation zone. They made several thousand of them for the French till the Soviets made them stop.

14735_0.jpg

I knew a guy who said his P38 sometimes wouldn't cycle WITHOUT using +P because the spring was so strong.
It depends on which year his was made. Steel framed ones can handle +P, with the aluminum alloy frames (like mine) running +P though it can cause problems, unusual and rapid wear in some areas.

When was the post-war design redesignated as the P1? There's no way I can find out the year that guy's was made because he's been passed away for about 7 years now.

When was the post-war design redesignated as the P1? There's no way I can find out the year that guy's was made because he's been passed away for about 7 years now.
It was 1963 when they began stamping them with the P1, mine was manufactured 9/60.

Forum List

Back