My Old Kentucky Home

Largely true, although the Underground Railroad and the Abolitionist Movement were going on at the time so it might be a stretch to say "almost nobody".

But the point remains, in the context of this song lyric there's no such sentiment expressed, no wish of ill upon "darkies", etc. If there were, it would count as racism. So the only question remaining is whether the term "darky" -- in itself, standing alone -- was a term of disparagement, or whether it was simply neutral, in 1852.
The use of the term "darkie" was racist. Was it KKK level virulent racism? Probably not but it was always racist especially back in 1852.

And again -- what's your source for the vernacular of 1852? We're going in circles here.
My ancestors. I posted that in my reply to you the first time.

You have ancestors that are 170 years old?
Yes. Actually even older.

We all have that but -- you have ancestors still alive to recount these things to you?

You probably haven’t seen Disney’s 1946 film Song of the South, but you’ve definitely heard it. Its signature song, “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah,” won a 1947 Academy Award, and the Br’er Rabbit animation sequences have been used in several TV spots and Disney specials over the years. But there’s no denying the fact that by today’s standards, the film is rather racist. Set in the post–Civil War South, the movie — in which a former slave named Uncle Remus regales children with amusing stories — depicts an offensively “idyllic” master-slave relationship, as the NAACP once described it. Adam Clayton Powell Jr. considered the feature’s depictions of happy slaves an “insult to American minorities.” Disney has declined to release the film on video in the U.S., fearing an outcry over the crude stereotypes.

Song of the South | Top 10 Disney Controversies | TIME.com

I read that bit, and without actually seeing the film, it would be hard to judge. But what's described above looks like historical inaccuracy, if it's suggesting that slaves were "happy" with their lot. Certainly that's not accurate (and after all it IS Disney), but that in itself doesn't comprise "racism". The film would have to in some way make the point, or assumption, that "black people are inferior". But selling a bullshit mythology about how they felt about it doesn't quite hit that mark.

The use of the term "darkie" was racist. Was it KKK level virulent racism? Probably not but it was always racist especially back in 1852.

And again -- what's your source for the vernacular of 1852? We're going in circles here.
My ancestors. I posted that in my reply to you the first time.

You have ancestors that are 170 years old?
Yes. Actually even older.

We all have that but -- you have ancestors still alive to recount these things to you?
Unfortunately my great grandpa died when I was a teenager but I remember what he told me as well as other older Black people.

You probably haven’t seen Disney’s 1946 film Song of the South, but you’ve definitely heard it. Its signature song, “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah,” won a 1947 Academy Award, and the Br’er Rabbit animation sequences have been used in several TV spots and Disney specials over the years. But there’s no denying the fact that by today’s standards, the film is rather racist. Set in the post–Civil War South, the movie — in which a former slave named Uncle Remus regales children with amusing stories — depicts an offensively “idyllic” master-slave relationship, as the NAACP once described it. Adam Clayton Powell Jr. considered the feature’s depictions of happy slaves an “insult to American minorities.” Disney has declined to release the film on video in the U.S., fearing an outcry over the crude stereotypes.

Song of the South | Top 10 Disney Controversies | TIME.com

I read that bit, and without actually seeing the film, it would be hard to judge. But what's described above looks like historical inaccuracy, if it's suggesting that slaves were "happy" with their lot. Certainly that's not accurate (and after all it IS Disney), but that in itself doesn't comprise "racism". The film would have to in some way make the point, or assumption, that "black people are inferior". But selling a bullshit mythology about how they felt about it doesn't quite hit that mark.
Its a rationalization of slavery and racism. Basically the message is "See. This darkies loved being slaves and its our duty to take care of them and keep them happy." If thats not racism I dont know what is.

Never heard of either song but the titles suggest both are steeped in racism if not outright virulently racist..

My Old Kentucky Home is the theme song of Kentucky. Here is the part of the lyrics that "cry racism" (according to some....)

The irony is that it's classified as an "anti-slavery" song written by Stephen Foster.

"The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home.
'Tis summer, the darkies [→people] are gay,
The corn top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom....."

Song of the South is actually a Disney movie. I'm sure taken off the market for some time.... maybe not however, I honestly don't know to be truthful....

Song_of_south_poster.jpg

In fairness, I'm not sure it's fair to judge past generations by values and sensibilities of later ones. Don't denounce Biblical peoples for example for their customs and practices like slavery and complete mysogany.

Never heard of either song but the titles suggest both are steeped in racism if not outright virulently racist..

My Old Kentucky Home is the theme song of Kentucky. Here is the part of the lyrics that "cry racism" (according to some....)

The irony is that it's classified as an "anti-slavery" song written by Stephen Foster.

"The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home.
'Tis summer, the darkies [→people] are gay,
The corn top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom....."

Song of the South is actually a Disney movie. I'm sure taken off the market for some time.... maybe not however, I honestly don't know to be truthful....

Song_of_south_poster.jpg

In fairness, I'm not sure it's fair to judge past generations by values and sensibilities of later ones. Don't denounce Biblical peoples for example for their customs and practices like slavery and complete mysogany.
Even at the time, Walt Disney was getting flack that some of the material was blatant racism. Walt ignored them

Forum List

Back