My oil futures trade experiment, comments?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I've been interested in oil futures so I bought some shares of two oil ETFs that are theoretical inverses of each other: Proshares ultra short 3x ETF called OILD and Proshares 3x ETF OILU. I noticed that the two funds basically track each other but not exactly. For example on a typical day OILU might be between 3-5% up and OILD might be 3-5% down but what I discovered is the net between to two funds is almost NEVER zero or positive.

The net typically (based on the 4 days I held) was about a negative half percent but ranged between 0 and -1.0%. That isn't what I expected and although I closed out the positions with a slight gain that was based on selling into momentum rather than what I expected which was to sell when the net was about 1% positive. The largest I saw the positive net between the two was about .5% and that lasted less than a minute. I would say 99% of the time the net between the two was negative. Can anyone explain this? If you are not knowledgeable you can certainly drop a dookie on my thread but I would rather hear from someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks.

Erosion.
Fees, expenses, bid-ask spread on the futures contracts they have to roll into/out of.
Right but then how is the net between the two funds EVER positive? It does happen but apparently very rarely.

It's (almost) never positive.
If you can stand the volatility, meet the margin requirements and find the ETFs to borrow,
over the long term, you can make money shorting both sides.

I've been interested in oil futures so I bought some shares of two oil ETFs that are theoretical inverses of each other: Proshares ultra short 3x ETF called OILD and Proshares 3x ETF OILU. I noticed that the two funds basically track each other but not exactly. For example on a typical day OILU might be between 3-5% up and OILD might be 3-5% down but what I discovered is the net between to two funds is almost NEVER zero or positive.

The net typically (based on the 4 days I held) was about a negative half percent but ranged between 0 and -1.0%. That isn't what I expected and although I closed out the positions with a slight gain that was based on selling into momentum rather than what I expected which was to sell when the net was about 1% positive. The largest I saw the positive net between the two was about .5% and that lasted less than a minute. I would say 99% of the time the net between the two was negative. Can anyone explain this? If you are not knowledgeable you can certainly drop a dookie on my thread but I would rather hear from someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks.
/---/ I've been burned everytime I tried oil trading. Same with Biotechs. I stay away.

Forum List

Back