My Non-Nerd Review of Windows 10

I read somewhere this morning that you can have Unix on your computer while running Win10. Don't know the specifics.

A Few More Non-Nerd Views of Windows 10

The one thing I find convenient about it is the Cortana search in the bar on the bottom of the screen. If I want something from my PC, I type it in and indicate it's in my PC. If it's something from the web, I simply hit return or any other key. The default search engine is Bing as it's an MS product. And I generally like the Bing start page with its great images.

Edge – or IE11 – whatever they want to call it, doesn't thrill me. It's okay as the default so Cortana goes to it. But I prefer Opera and Firefox as my everyday browsers. My major problem with Edge is the options for capturing images – it only lets you copy the link and not in jpg. Format.

The Start Page has a good news feed but I have other news feeds I prefer.

I don't find it one bit faster than 8.1 and actually get frustrated that the updates seem to take so long.

I guess it just takes a bit of getting accustomed to.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop, first. I turned off all the Microsoft apps that spied on me. I immediately disabled Cortana, even though it looked cute and all that, but I had to sell my life's history and browsing preferences if I was going to use it. Also, Microsoft seems to think it is okay to automatically download updates with no way for you to control when and if you want those updates.

Regarding updates, there is a workaround if you possess the Windows 10 Professional version. Just bring up the group policy editor and tell it to over ride the automatic update function. I was able to control my updates on my desktop.

Now, my laptop only has the basic version of Windows 10, and gpedit.msc (group policy editor) is not part of that Windows package. As a result, you are stuck with automatic updates. That's something that can be a hassle if you have a satellite internet service that caps how much you can download per month.

Now, I did download gpedit.msc for Windows 7/8 and installed it, but it doesn't work at stopping the automatic updates on my laptop. Maybe I need the editor that is compatible with Windows 10.

Do I like Windows 10? Not very much. Do I want to roll back to Windows 8.1? No, I will just contend with Windows 10, until Microsoft can come out with something better. Right now, Windows 10 is similar to 8, but 8.1 is far better. If you have not updated yet? Seriously consider doing your research and maybe not taking the jump. There is a caveat there. Microsoft is only offering the Windows 10 upgrade for a year. If you have Windows 10 and don't like it, you can roll it back to Windows 8.1 or whatever you had previously, but that offer is only for a month. Frankly, I think Microsoft is in cahoots with NSA with all the spying that 10 tries to do.

The one thing I find convenient about it is the Cortana search in the bar on the bottom of the screen. If I want something from my PC, I type it in and indicate it's in my PC. If it's something from the web, I simply hit return or any other key. The default search engine is Bing as it's an MS product. And I generally like the Bing start page with its great images.

Edge – or IE11 – whatever they want to call it, doesn't thrill me. It's okay as the default so Cortana goes to it. But I prefer Opera and Firefox as my everyday browsers. My major problem with Edge is the options for capturing images – it only lets you copy the link and not in jpg. Format.

I don't find it one bit faster than 8.1 and actually get frustrated that the updates seem to take so long.

I don't use Edge at all. I still use Firefox and once in awhile Internet Explorer. I have a satellite service that caps my usage. I don't like getting on news sites that automatically start playing movies that I didn't activate so I use Firefox with Adobe Shock Player disabled. Internet Explorer still has everything enabled so I use it if I want to watch a You Tube video. Edge just seems like a useless piece of junk along with Cortana. I also don't like One Drive because I sure won't store my files on the Internet.

I also don't like it that you have no idea how large the updates are going to be. I need to know to keep from having my account put in restriction, something that lately has been occurring mostly every month, now. Microsoft updates are getting way too big, and there is way too much being downloaded. Just this past month, it seemed like every other day, Microsoft was pushing another update.

I don't use Edge at all. I still use Firefox and once in awhile Internet Explorer. I have a satellite service that caps my usage. I don't like getting on news sites that automatically start playing movies that I didn't activate so I use Firefox with Adobe Shock Player disabled. Internet Explorer still has everything enabled so I use it if I want to watch a You Tube video. Edge just seems like a useless piece of junk along with Cortana. I also don't like One Drive because I sure won't store my files on the Internet.

Firefox just released an update that's compatible with 10.

I also don't like it that you have no idea how large the updates are going to be. I need to know to keep from having my account put in restriction, something that lately has been occurring mostly every month, now. Microsoft updates are getting way too big, and there is way too much being downloaded. Just this past month, it seemed like every other day, Microsoft was pushing another update.

I went to Settings and made it that they had to notify me of updates and give ME the option of having them automatically doing it or my doing it when I want. There was a security update today and I was able to get the specifics of it before downloading

I just installed it.

And Windows _still_ won't let me display seconds on the taskbar clock, not without a third-party addon. Win 7 and 8 were the same. Basic feature fail. Apple never had any trouble with displaying seconds on their taskbar clock. Microsoft, it's just beyond their capability.

In case you're wondering why I care about seeing the seconds go by ... some online games, it's helpful to have a quick way to count seconds, while your mouse pointer is hovering somewhere else on the game screen, getting ready to click.

I went to Settings and made it that they had to notify me of updates and give ME the option of having them automatically doing it or my doing it when I want. There was a security update today and I was able to get the specifics of it before downloading

How about posting how you got to" Settings" and then post how you told Microsoft that you don't want them to automatically update your system. I had to go in on my desktop account and run the gpedit.msc app just to get ride of automatic updates. With the Windows 10 Basic that I have on my laptop, the gpedit app doesn't even exist. I tried changing the registry and then installing a gpedit file for Windows 8 that doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 10 because it doesn't change the updates.

tumblr_ms4kmyDsLl1qz4gevo1_1280.png

Microsoft says Windows 10 will be “always up-to-date,” and they mean it. There’s no way to turn Windows Update off. Microsoft says feature updates will be tested on consumer devices before they’re rolled out to business PCs.

They are talking about the Home/Basic version of Windows 10. You can manipulate things with Windows 10 Pro. Like I said before, you can install gpedit.msc onto the Home edition, but it won't change anything. I know, I tried, and the only thing I can do is set up my laptop for a metered connection while in wi-fi, which is the only way I connect to the Internet, anyway.

You Won t Be Able to Disable or Delay Windows Updates on Windows 10 Home

I just installed it.

And Windows _still_ won't let me display seconds on the taskbar clock, not without a third-party addon. Win 7 and 8 were the same. Basic feature fail. Apple never had any trouble with displaying seconds on their taskbar clock. Microsoft, it's just beyond their capability.

In case you're wondering why I care about seeing the seconds go by ... some online games, it's helpful to have a quick way to count seconds, while your mouse pointer is hovering somewhere else on the game screen, getting ready to click.

Microsoft finally fixed Windows 8 with Windows 8.1. Now, they have re-broken the 8.1 fix with Windows 10. How long before we will see Windows 10.1 coming out?

So is it worth it or not?

You aren't losing a thing by upgrading.

But is there a point?
I need something a bit more tangible than "not losing".

How 'bout the old reliable question that keeps Facebook away:
"What does this give me that I don't already have?"
A browser it tries to force feed you, but I forced it to let me use Chrome instead.
An email program I haven't tried yet because I like my outlook express.
Forcing me to switch programs to admin mode or they crash.
A spy on my computer browsing habits keeping tags on everything I do.
A cloud to keep all my programs on so I can use the same programs on multiple computers depending on where I log on at, which I disabled because I'm never on more than one computer.
A cloud to store my iphone data, which I had with 7.0 so no change. Saved my ass once when my phone quit working.
Everyone wants me to give them my passwords to stick up in their clouds, msn and norton, so they can control my access to stuff. What do I do if they go through a denial attack or are hacked? I don't think so.
A new way to ask for help, Cortana, which I haven't tried much yet. It usually just sends me to a browser search routine giving me info for windows 8 instead of windows 10 when I tried it.
Interesting ways to crash windows like clicking on cloud before it's fully loaded. Reminds me of the old windows for workgroups days.
Removed all of my color customizations from all of my folders so they all look bland white and offwhite.
Separate desktops for both my monitors. That was awesome.

Oh and OP you want someone to read your review post it here or don't post it cuzz I'm not clicking your damn link.

Holy Cow longknife...you be Bill's favorite nephew or something??:eusa_dance:
What is this...the 5th-6th Windows 10 thread in the past week or so?
It is a mid-release that is an attempt to fix the Windows 8 nightmare. Period.
As usual, M$ and all the fan boys will say "[Insert latest release here] is the best Windows so far, [insert name again] has 100's of upgrades and improvements!! But the best thing about [insert name again] is it introduces [insert new feature that has probably been available in other OS's for years, in this case Cortana] which will revolutionize computing!!!"

Actually, Windows 8.1 did an excellent job of fixing Windows 8, and I wish Microsoft would have left it there, but they had to go and break it again.

How about posting how you got to" Settings" and then post how you told Microsoft that you don't want them to automatically update your system. I had to go in on my desktop account and run the gpedit.msc app just to get ride of automatic updates. With the Windows 10 Basic that I have on my laptop, the gpedit app doesn't even exist. I tried changing the registry and then installing a gpedit file for Windows 8 that doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 10 because it doesn't change the updates.

Click on the little Windows icon on the far left bottom tool bar. Click on Settings, then click on Update & Security. The top section on the left is Windows Update – click on that and you will find Advanced Setting which will give you the choice of accepting them when Windows wants to be notified first.

Forum List

Back