My Non-Nerd Review of Windows 10

Thanks for the review. I loathe 8.1 but didn't get the free upgrade. I'm waiting to see what others say before purchasing it. Removing metro and charms would be enough for me to upgrade. Enabling users to play dvds without third party software would be nice too. Does it look and feel like a desktop operating system or still have the smart phone/tablet layout?

Thanks for the review. I loathe 8.1 but didn't get the free upgrade. I'm waiting to see what others say before purchasing it. Removing metro and charms would be enough for me to upgrade. Enabling users to play dvds without third party software would be nice too. Does it look and feel like a desktop operating system or still have the smart phone/tablet layout?

Metro is gone. But that large icon theme is now in the start button...this video is done by a committed fan boy, but shows the interface well nevertheless.

I had Classic Shell on 8.1 and the update kept it. When I put it to sleep at night, a 10 inserts opens up in the bottom left corner but any key stroke and it disappears.

And BTW - soon to come in Windows 10 - M$ will sell your desktop space to the highest bidder. You will get advertisements on your desktop.
Now we know why Steve Balmer pushed Metro so hard.

Enabling users to play dvds without third party software would be nice too.

:eusa_eh: ??
If I remember correctly they did away with DVD playback in Media Center unless you pay for the upgraded service.

I think it had something to do with licensing and MS not wanting to pay for it. I was hoping the would bring that back with 10 but I'm not holding my breath.

Wow...I didn't know this. A media center that won't play media...well.
I'll stick with Linux and VLC.

Enabling users to play dvds without third party software would be nice too.

:eusa_eh: ??
If I remember correctly they did away with DVD playback in Media Center unless you pay for the upgraded service.

I think it had something to do with licensing and MS not wanting to pay for it. I was hoping the would bring that back with 10 but I'm not holding my breath.
I've had it up to the top of my head with Microsoft, no more, after my Win 7 expires (or the machine fails) It's Apple for me.

Holy Cow longknife...you be Bill's favorite nephew or something??:eusa_dance:
What is this...the 5th-6th Windows 10 thread in the past week or so?
It is a mid-release that is an attempt to fix the Windows 8 nightmare. Period.
As usual, M$ and all the fan boys will say "[Insert latest release here] is the best Windows so far, [insert name again] has 100's of upgrades and improvements!! But the best thing about [insert name again] is it introduces [insert new feature that has probably been available in other OS's for years, in this case Cortana] which will revolutionize computing!!!"

I post them as I would guess there are a large number of people who come here have Windows of one form or another.

I've personally been through XP which I liked, Vista which was so-so, and Windows 8.1 that I got used to with a Classic Shell for Win7. Now, I just thought I'd share my personal experience with upgrading to Win10.

If that somehow upsets you, I just guess that's your problem
You missed out on '98 and '95..My you are a young one...

I still waiting on Nixie Pixel to do a nude review of Windows 10.......... :eusa_drool:

Never heard of her....
Performs Google search: Y'all fucken crack me up!!!
SS-2011.09.10-01.41.40.jpg

So is it worth it or not?

You aren't losing a thing by upgrading.

But is there a point?
I need something a bit more tangible than "not losing".

How 'bout the old reliable question that keeps Facebook away:
"What does this give me that I don't already have?"
DirectX 12.
Well that will come in handy playing games with graphics..
DirectX 12 is probably a AMD/MS cooperation basing on AMD´s Mantle. Dx12 will allow significant better performance due to improved CPU utilization among others.

Forum List

Back