My last day

Get a lot of sleep and eat some junk food, you won't be seeing either for a long time.

In 21 hours, I board the bus for Milwaukee, then the next morning, a plane to San Diego. Next time I come home, I'll be a Marine. Advice? Suggestions on what to do on my last day here, and anything else?

All good things for you! I'm glad you are finally where you've wanted to be for so long. Do take care. I'm sure your folks are very pleased.

In 21 hours, I board the bus for Milwaukee, then the next morning, a plane to San Diego. Next time I come home, I'll be a Marine. Advice? Suggestions on what to do on my last day here, and anything else?

PM Gunny, if anybody knows, he does.:cool:

and rep to you.

PM Gunny, if anybody knows, he does.:cool:

and rep to you.

Gunny doesn't know what he should do BEFORE he goes to boot camp, except don't get drunk or do drugs, they will do a piss test. They will keep you up all night and make you retake the ASVAB as well and count that one not the one at the recruiting center.

Gunny doesn't know what he should do BEFORE he goes to boot camp, except don't get drunk or do drugs, they will do a piss test. They will keep you up all night and make you retake the ASVAB as well and count that one not the one at the recruiting center.

Sure I do. I went and saw the movie "The Final Countdown," ate a GOOD meal at the Alamo Cafe and went to bed early.

Then I screwed all that up the next day by getting blind-ass drunk in the Dallas airport during a 4 hour layover.:(

They will keep you up all night and make you retake the ASVAB as well and count that one not the one at the recruiting center.

Are you kidding? That's just for Marines, I suppose? I didn't have to retake the ASVAB for AF.

By the time I shipped to basic, I had already been at MEPS choosing my AFSC (MOS) based on how I scored the ASVAB.

In a case like that, I could have possibly scored lower and and lost qualification for the AFSC I chose, and been forced to choose another going into basic.

I'm not quite sure what the point of making someone retake the ASVAB would be. It's more paperwork for someone first of all, which was always hated. And it potentially screws the recruit out of the job they were hoping to do going in, just for being a little tired from lack of sleep.

Seems pretty counter-productive to me, forcing recruits to possibly have to choose a new MOS.

Are you kidding? That's just for Marines, I suppose? I didn't have to retake the ASVAB for AF.

By the time I shipped to basic, I had already been at MEPS choosing my AFSC (MOS) based on how I scored the ASVAB.

In a case like that, I could have possibly scored lower and and lost qualification for the AFSC I chose, and been forced to choose another going into basic.

I'm not quite sure what the point of making someone retake the ASVAB would be. It's more paperwork for someone first of all, which was always hated. And it potentially screws the recruit out of the job they were hoping to do going in, just for being a little tired from lack of sleep.

Seems pretty counter-productive to me, forcing recruits to possibly have to choose a new MOS.

It was standard procedure in 1979. They screwed with you all night your first night, you got maybe 2 or 3 hours sleep and they screwed with you the next day, making you take the test over during that first day. My scores were not from the MEPS, I knew those scores cause my recruiter was amazed at them. I lost a couple points on several things but my lowest score was 108 so it didn't hurt me, well and I was open contract, took me two waivers to get in cause of bad choices in 1975 with the Army. The Marine Corps could have separated me the first two years with no obligation owed to me at all for ANY infraction.

LOL I had to convince the MEPS Sgt Major I was worth the second waiver. It helped I was by then in the National Guard and my Platoon Commander had put me in for Officer candidate. Took me two years to convince the Marine Corps I was worth the risk. Believe me Boot Camp was a cake walk.

The biggest problem in Boot Camp is mind games, the biggest being " do I really want to be here" I had NO doubts I wanted to be a Marine.

It was standard procedure in 1979. They screwed with you all night your first night, you got maybe 2 or 3 hours sleep and they screwed with you the next day, making you take the test over during that first day. My scores were not from the MEPS, I knew those scores cause my recruiter was amazed at them. I lost a couple points on several things but my lowest score was 108 so it didn't hurt me, well and I was open contract, took me two waivers to get in cause of bad choices in 1975 with the Army. The Marine Corps could have separated me the first two years with no obligation owed to me at all for ANY infraction.

LOL I had to convince the MEPS Sgt Major I was worth the second waiver. It helped I was by then in the National Guard and my Platoon Commander had put me in for Officer candidate. Took me two years to convince the Marine Corps I was worth the risk. Believe me Boot Camp was a cake walk.

The biggest problem in Boot Camp is mind games, the biggest being " do I really want to be here" I had NO doubts I wanted to be a Marine.

SOP is to keep the privates up until 2AM and get them back up at 4:30 on the first day of receiving. Haircut first, out of the scuzzy civvies and into cammies, pack the civvies, initial gear issue, shave, and 2 hours in the rack.

It is designed to completely disorient and strip the individuality from the recruits, all the way down to bringing them in after dark so they have no idea where they are.

I had to get moral waivers ... letters from my high school teachers and the pastor. Wow. Just think .... I was "endorsed" by a pastor who was later popped with his hand in the cookie jar. :shock:

SOP is to keep the privates up until 2AM and get them back up at 4:30 on the first day of receiving. Haircut first, out of the scuzzy civvies and into cammies, pack the civvies, initial gear issue, shave, and 2 hours in the rack.

It is designed to completely disorient and strip the individuality from the recruits, all the way down to bringing them in after dark so they have no idea where they are.

In the sense of readying a recruit for being a Marine, this makes sense to me. But to make the recruit take the ASVAB over again under these conditions, only to potentially cause the recruit to score lower and possibly have to choose a different MOS, it seems like it would serve to lower morale in the long run. Counter-productive is the best way I can describe that.

Forum List

Back