My Cat Is Insane

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Cecilie1200, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I've always been of the opinion that cats are all a bit nuts, anyway, but my newest one is completely bonkers. He's a Maine Coon Cat, so he's a big muscular sucker, and he's got claws like talons. This is a problem because, like all cats, he holds the belief that where he belongs is wherever he happens to wish to be at the moment. Usually, that would be my lap, which is rapidly disappearing under my pregnant belly. He gives absolutely no warning when he's incoming, so all of a sudden, one is presented with a furry, twenty-pound bowling ball flying at speed. And he views his abnormally long claws as handy landing gear, the perfect solution to the inexplicable fact that so many people do not have twenty-pound-cat-sized laps.

Right about now, you're saying, "Well, that doesn't sound any different than any other cat, although maybe a bit bigger and heavier." Ah, but the time he feels most inclined to be on my lap - although certainly not the ONLY time - is when I'm in the bathroom, relieving myself. This cat (whose name is Latte, because he's the color of a latte and acts like he's hopped up on caffeine) has a weird fascination with all my hygienic behaviors, and cannot conceive of the idea that I might prefer to urinate without his extremely close company.

Now, of course, you're saying, "Why don't you just shut the bathroom door tightly, then?" Originally, I couldn't get it to shut entirely, because the wood had swelled from humidity. Now that it does shut all the way, I am treated to the sight of Latte's paw, extending under the door and rattling it in the frame, accompanied by a loud, forlorn, and repeated yowl that annoys everyone in the house.

Nor is this the only time Latte feels the need to join me in the bathroom. Oh, no. His favorite activity is to watch me take a bath. He won't come near the shower when it's running, but baths . . . If he can get into the bathroom, then he has his front paws on the edge of the tub, peering around the shower door at me. If he can't get in, then he's rattling the door and yowling.

Last week, I started the tub running, and then realized that I had forgotten my book in the bedroom and went to get it (I take showers for cleanliness, and baths to relax stiff muscles). When I came back, Latte was in his usual position, front paws up on the tub, peering into the water with every appearance of confusion, as though he was saying, "Where the hell is she?" I walked in, and he turned and looked over his shoulder at me, like, "Oh, there you are. I was looking for you."

The culmination, though, was a couple of days ago, when I closed the shower door almost all the way to hold the steam in, because I was really cold. There was about a two-inch gap. Over the top of my book, I saw a kitty paw slooooooowly extend through the gap, then scrabble madly at my foot, which was just out of reach, then withdraw. A minute later, the paw slooooooowly crept into the space again, scrabbled madly at my foot, then withdrew. I watched him do this a couple more times, then opened the shower door. Latte happily popped up over the edge of the tub as usual, as if to say, "Well, FINALLY. I've been trying to get your attention for ages."

My cat is completely, certifiably insane.

2. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha my cat knows how to open doors with his paw, also last summer somehow he cracked open the glass sliding door to my back deck. He is so clever ! My girl cat is a primadonna and whenever the boy cat tries to snuggle up to her she smacks him.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    claws covers..they are orange and you super glue them to the talons..they make them non pointie...a friend uses them...

4. Andi G

Andi G BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Doesn't it drive them crazy? Great idea for clawing kitties though.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I also have a Maine Coon cat residing with me.

They are not quite like most other cats, in my opinion.

They're the cats that the other cats think are arrogant.

6. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0

ha ha, my boy cat is a Ferrell cat and he is very Arrogant too.

7. sky dancer

sky dancer Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I just misread your post to read 'my boyfriend is a feral cat and very arrogant too'.

8. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha funny sky. I don't have a boyfriend nor do I date, but your correct in the past both ex husbands were arrogant. HAHA:razz:

9. sky dancer

sky dancer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what happens without glasses and my morning caffeine.

10. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha I bet you had a good morning laugh then from your misread.