My Baby Is Now A Teenager

Parenthood is all pretty much downhill from here, Jill.

Now it's all about letting go slowly enough that the kid can learn to make his own decisions when he's really ready for that responsiblity.

The problem typically is that they think they're ready before they really are.

They understand the benefits of adult freedom but as yet do not understand the potential outcomes that come with the decisions they make.

I found drugs a useful tool to get through these trying times.

No, not for the kid, silly girl, but for myself.

he already thinks he's capable of making his own decisions. and i let him make the ones i think are appropriate (like.... what do you want for dinner? and do you want to continue piano lesson? and 'yes, you can take fencing class'). but i exercise veto power over pretty much everything else and will keep doing so...

.... for as long as i can.

i'm not much on drugs... but pinot grigio comes in handy.

Yes, it most certainly does. :lol:

Over the next few years of trying times just remember to trust what you have instilled in him as you begin to let go of more and more of that veto power...He will be fine!

it's the whole learning to drive thing that freaks me out.

can i wrap him in bubble wrap?

Your only real obligation is to get him to 18 alive. Everything else is gravy. If you remember this, if will comfort you as you ponder "how in the hell could any child of mine......" all 1 Million times between now and then.

Welcome to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

P.S. It gets better.....in about 12 years.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Yep, stock up on the pinot grigio:

resize

okay you got 3 rough years...then you dangle car keys.....and they behave....course its real hard on the car and your insurance...

heads up jillian....make it damned clear there will be no dwi's....first one is the last one and all that....

you got to be tough...and be tougher

the object at this point..get them to 18...alive....

my son was the truck that caused the 5 car...yeppers 5 car wreck....he was about 17....one of the drivers wanted to fight him...the other guys made sure that didnt happen...one lady waited to tell me how polite my son was...

did i mention he and his best friend hit each other head on?

did i mention i had a tow truck driver on speed dial?

here are the questions:

is everyone okay?

is there anything in the car that needs to not be there?

you will get the hang of this

he already thinks he's capable of making his own decisions. and i let him make the ones i think are appropriate (like.... what do you want for dinner? and do you want to continue piano lesson? and 'yes, you can take fencing class'). but i exercise veto power over pretty much everything else and will keep doing so...

Over the next few years of trying times just remember to trust what you have instilled in him as you begin to let go of more and more of that veto power...He will be fine!

Not unheard of!!! :lol:

http://www.parentingiseasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bubblechild1.jpg

my boy turned 13 yesterday.

oy.....

I am afraid...

very afraid....

I don't have any sage and worldly parenting advice to dispense. Tomorrow I'll have been thirteen eleven years ago, so if anything, I'd share some knowledge with your kid based on personal experience: if you piss the mom off, she won't hesitate to remind every time you that your ass is on the street once you're eighteen. :beer:

Wait until you have to take him out while he's learning to drive! Erma Bomback said you should never sit in the car to the right of someone you gave birth to! She knew what she was talking about.

When my son started driving I never relaxed. If he wasn't home and I heard ambulances, many times I would go out looking for the accident. Luckily, we made it through all of those years. :eek:

Happy birthday to your son ... and a raise of the glass to you!

Yes, your IQ will be somewhere near 0 for a few years; yes you will have to look up to him for the rest of your life (unless, of course, you're planning to grow taller); yes, the insurance will be through the roof and you will not sleep until he walks in the door ... when you step into motherhood the job is a "rest of your life" kinda deal. :up:

Here's a thought to get yourself through trying times: This, too, shall pass.

okay you got 3 rough years...then you dangle car keys.....and they behave....course its real hard on the car and your insurance...

heads up jillian....make it damned clear there will be no dwi's....first one is the last one and all that....

my son was the truck that caused the 5 car...yeppers 5 car wreck....he was about 17....one of the drivers wanted to fight him...the other guys made sure that didnt happen...one lady waited to tell me how polite my son was...

here are the questions:

is everyone okay?

oh my....

i am in such trouble.

did i mention that his father used to race cars as a kid? and that the first day he got his last car he took it out on a track and had it up to 155 mph???

damn....

the good news is that the boy is a preppie and far more conservative (in dress and music and attitude... NOT politics) than I am.

so hopefully, that will continue to be the case. (knock wood...ptoi ptoi... pooh pooh)

:eusa_pray:

here are the questions:

is everyone okay?

oh my....

i am in such trouble.

did i mention that his father used to race cars as a kid? and that the first day he got his last car he took it out on a track and had it up to 155 mph???

damn....

the good news is that the boy is a preppie and far more conservative (in dress and music and attitude... NOT politics) than I am.

so hopefully, that will continue to be the case. (knock wood...ptoi ptoi... pooh pooh)

:eusa_pray:

:lol::lol:

Does he like piano lesson and fencing class ?

Forum List

Back