My $0.02 on the gay marriage thing...

Originally posted by acludem
I reject the notion that gay people are "deviant". They aren't straight, but to call them "deviant" is ridiculous. There are a lot of "deviants" in the world. We've even had one as President (James Buchanan, who had a long standing affair with a U.S. Senator). Alexander the Great was a "deviant." So were Rock Hudson, James Dean and Truman Capote. We have "deviants" in Congress, some are even Republicans!

acludem

Do you even have a clue what deviant means? That's EXACTLY what gays are that engage in sexual activities.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Do you even have a clue what deviant means? That's EXACTLY what gays are that engage in sexual activities.

Deviant means alot of different things Jim. Oral sex is considered deviant sexual behavior if you are a member of the armed services, whether its hetero, homo, or lesbian oriented. We should probably get the nation to set a standard for it before we label sexual acts we don't agree with as deviant.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Deviant means alot of different things Jim. Oral sex is considered deviant sexual behavior if you are a member of the armed services, whether its hetero, homo, or lesbian oriented. We should probably get the nation to set a standard for it before we label sexual acts we don't agree with as deviant.

Whether I personally agree with it or not doesn't matter. This meets the very definition of deviant. It's not a bad term, it's just that they DO DIFFER FROM THE NORM OR ACCEPTED STANDARDS OF SOCIETY.

That is not how deviant is generally understood. Deviant has a very negative connotation - not the meaning that those so classified are just outside of the mainstream.

Then consider the synonyms. Words are often more loaded than the official definition.

Entry: deviant

Function: adjective
Definition: abnormal
Synonyms: aberrant, anomalous, atypical, bent, delirious, deviate, deviative, devious, different, divergent, freaky, heretical, heteroclite, irregular, kinky, off-key, perverse, perverted, preternatural, queer, twisted, unrepresentative, untypical, wandering, wayward
Antonyms: natural, normal, regular, representative, standard, typical, usual
Concept: abnormality

that would also mean that my long hair makes me a deviant in the business world, since it differs from the norm or accepted societal standards.

You guys really need to stop reaching and jumping to conclusions!

First off, nobody even used the word deviant in this thread until acludem brought it up. And now it's being said what was meant by something that wasn't even said!

I'll say it and be clear.

Those who engage in homosexual activities are sexual deviants.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
that would also mean that my long hair makes me a deviant in the business world, since it differs from the norm or accepted societal standards.

Your hairstyle would be deviant from what is considered normal in the business world, yes.

Oh Puh-leeeeze.

If you are going to call gays deviants, then at least have the courage to take the heat for it. The term deviant has an extremely negative connotation in daily usage. Calling them such fuels gay-bashing and violence.

I hope you don't enjoy oral sex, btw - as quite a few religious people consider it deviant behavior.

Originally posted by wonderwench
Oh Puh-leeeeze.

If you are going to call gays deviants, then at least have the courage to take the heat for it. The term deviant has an extremely negative connotation in daily usage. Calling them such fuels gay-bashing and violence.

I hope you don't enjoy oral sex, btw - as quite a few religious people consider it deviant behavior.

Take the heat for it? Are you really this clueless? I never even used that term until acludem made his post! It helps to read the entire thread before replying and looking foolish.

I do enjoy oral sex and could care less if anyone thinks it is deviant behavior or not. I'm not going to whine and protest like the fruit loops.

What a nice way to think about one's fellow human beings.

What a nice way to think about one's fellow human beings.

I couldn't really care less what the gays or their supporters may feel about my position.

That is not how deviant is generally understood. Deviant has a very negative connotation - not the meaning that those so classified are just outside of the mainstream.
You need help with etymology. Just because there are people who don't know the definition of a word and use it incorrectly, the one who uses it correctly is not the ignorant one.

The definition of deviant is: especially from an accepted norm <deviant behavior>

Regardless of your personal philosophy on the issue itself, are you really debating that homosexuality is the accepted norm?

I merely made a comment that the "normal" use of the term deviant is negative (and hence insluting and derogatory).

Homosexuality is not the "norm". Nor is red hair. Nor is a perfect pitch. Nor is being bald.

They are all biologically determined.

Should we call anyone who differs from the norm by a derogatory word? Or do you enjoy it when someone calls you a deviant.

I merely made a comment that the "normal" use of the term deviant is negative (and hence insluting and derogatory).

Homosexuality is not the "norm". Nor is red hair. Nor is a perfect pitch. Nor is being bald.

Should we call anyone who differs from the norm by a derogatory word? Or do you enjoy it when someone calls you a deviant.

Ok, answer this, who called them deviant before you made your original posts?

None of us. Every single person on the face of the earth has something about them to which some group or another can take offense.

None of us. Every single person on the face of the earth has something about them to which some group or another can take offense.

Ok, answer this, who called them deviant before you made your original posts?

You merely made a comment? You haven't a clue what the definition of the word is and subsequently posted several times about Jimmy's malevolent intent. The word merely is quite inappropriate.

The fact remains that homosexuals is not condoned or practiced by the majority of humankind. Therefore, those that participate in such behavior deviate from the norm. Call it what you will, but the definition of that is deviant.

Forum List

Back