Mutiny on the Bounty: Trump Duck-Decision

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Here's a dystopian love-letter towards the consumerism-cynicism of 'TrumpUSA' inspired by the rebellion-paranoia film Mutiny on the Bounty.

====

AJAY SATAN:

"I know my dear friends you're weary of American consumerism culture (e.g., Starbucks, Facebook, Burger King, etc.) and how it contributes to a general malaise and gluttony towards values such as temperance and humility. I know you don't wish to be told by a fat-cat Hollywood movie superstar such as Tom Cruise that modern civilization is invested in media happiness and drive-in theater fanfare.

However, consider how to embrace such 'cultural optimism' without having to ogle/idolize 'society glamour-boys' such as Tom Cruise or Tom Selleck! We could, for example, appreciate the tasty convenience of a Starbucks cup of coffee on our way to work and simply feel grateful that capitalism has bred lifestyle candies regularly monitored by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

I was a huge fan of Tom Cruise. I enjoyed his early films such as Rain Man and Top Gun, but I too noticed that Hollywood was making movies of-late that catered to too many consumerism-symbolic feelings of gluttony and sloth --- e.g., Fight Club, Celebrity, Iron Man 3, etc., etc. Now, I find idealism towards consumerism monuments such as Facebook by seeing the simple pedestrian smiles on the faces of Americans taking advantage of harmless tech-toys (e.g., smartphones).

Maybe I'm like Fletcher Christian, and 'in hell,' and the officiously overbearing Captain Bligh is the shadowing Hollywood 'god' Tom Cruise reminding me that 'resistance is futile' and conformity is high-fashion. However, I still like Tom Cruise's newer films such as Oblivion and The Mummy, so I wonder to myself, 'If humanity is on some kind of boat ride to perdition, will we be revenants or musketeers'?"

====

bounty.jpg

Forum List

Back