Muslims say crosses at Catholic University Violate “Human Rights”

You don't have to be a Catholic to go to their schools.

true. but if you can't do things their way, you should really find another school more to your liking.

Oh I agree completely, I was just answering Bones on why the school would accept Muslims.

fair enough. :)

i know people who decided to give their kids a catholic school education, for whatever reason, who aren't catholic. there are many such schools that accommodate other groups. but there's no obligation that they do. they aren't public schools. if they were systematically excluding muslims while allowing others, there would be a constitutional argument. but they aren't. i figure if they need such accommodation, the muslim kids might be better off at a madrassa.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8BfH1Q_zM]Rudy Locker Room Speech - YouTube[/ame]

true. but if you can't do things their way, you should really find another school more to your liking.

Oh I agree completely, I was just answering Bones on why the school would accept Muslims.

i know people who decided to give their kids a catholic school education, for whatever reason, who aren't catholic. there are many such schools that accommodate other groups. but there's no obligation that they do. they aren't public schools. if they were systematically excluding muslims while allowing others, there would be a constitutional argument. but they aren't. i figure if they need such accommodation, the muslim kids might be better off at a madrassa.

If for some reason a Christian or Jew was attending a Muslim school, they would have no right to ask the Muslims to take down Islamic symbols, I think the same should apply in this case.

If for some reason a Christian or Jew was attending a Muslim school, they would have no right to ask the Muslims to take down Islamic symbols, I think the same should apply in this case.

i agree. the only question i would ask is "are they getting federal funds?"

i agree. the only question i would ask is "are they getting federal funds?"

I'm not sure that would matter.

The main beef seems to be not giving them facilities 'without crosses' to pray in. They were offered facilities to pray in, but took exception to the fact that the university refused to remove the crosses, statues, pictures, etc. So, they were indeed offered facilities, but they refused them.

Would getting federal funding mean the university would have to remove all the crosses, statues, pictures, etc. for any non-caotholic religious person or group that decided they were offended?

From their home page. No one can say "we didn't know".

Catholic faith is at the heart of The Catholic University of America. This part of CUA's identity is reinforced through the many options for service and formation on campus, as well as by the integration of faith and reason in each of the university's 12 schools. Many student organizations provide opportunities for fellowship while serving others. CUA's Office of Campus Ministry helps students follow Christ and live the values of the Gospel within the context of the Catholic faith.

http://www.cua.edu/catholic-identity/

This constitutes a violation of humans rights? Really? They should try being anything other than a Muslim in one of the Muslim theocracies in the Middle East, then come back here and let us know if their opinion of what constitutes a violation of human rights has changed at all. Muslims seem to have a real problem with being offended by inconsequential bullshit.

What the fuck are Muslims doing at CU ? They sure as shit aren't going to Confession, Communion, or Daily Mass. If I were Dean of CU, I'd have those shifty bastards on Double Secret Probation.

Double Secret Probation.mpg - YouTube

If the Muslims outnumber the Catholics, they can try and change it to an Islamic school.

They could try, but if this is a school that is under the auspices of the Vatican, has its own board of regents,(or whatever that is called in a Catholic school) etc. unless the Vatican and the board of Regents decide on the change, I doubt they could do it.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
it appears, the operative word being appears, from what I have read, it appears that the Muslim students have simply asked for a place to meditate, pray, contemplate absent a cross/crucifix etc.....frankly, I don't see an issue with that.

I have not see an article that says they want any crosses etc removed form a 'public' place, chapels etc....*shrugs*.

it appears, the operative word being appears, from what I have read, it appears that the Muslim students have simply asked for a place to meditate, pray, contemplate absent a cross/crucifix etc.....frankly, I don't see an issue with that.

I have not see an article that says they want any crosses etc removed form a 'public' place, chapels etc....*shrugs*.

Muslimes can't pray to themselves? It's ridiculous enough they are compelled to pray 5 times a day so let them pray in their own feeble minds.

Forum List

Back