Muslim family's fury after Morrisons sold them cheese and onion pasty with non-halal

UK has a large muslim population and yet the clerk seems to know nothing about muslim laws. This surprised me.

May the guy or gal at the check out had a sense of humour; the Brit variety can be quite subtle sometimes.

Anyway there is a serious angle to this incident. The poor little 4 year old boy will be sent to hell by allah-the-all-merciful for eating non-halal meat. Less than optimum outcome if you ask me.
No he won't........ :cool:

Is that so? So no harm done then.

(You must be very gratified to know the mind of allah and how he will react in any given circumstance).

Who gives a d**n!

If they don't like it here - go back home to their wonderful Arab world!
Nope.......the people here will just have to submit to our demands. .. :cool:

You just continue believing that - until the day when Americans become totally fed up and kick your insane deriers back to wherever. Try to mess with our fast foods. Or add your sick programming to our telleys. Tell us we can't buy or consume booze. Or tell us our Ham and Cheese on Rye with Mayo is not allowed.

Just try it! :eusa_boohoo:

Who gives a d**n!

You just continue believing that - until the day when Americans become totally fed up and kick your insane deriers back to wherever. Try to mess with our fast foods. Or add your sick programming to our telleys. Tell us we can't buy or consume booze. Or tell us our Ham and Cheese on Rye with Mayo is not allowed.
Things change..........

50 years ago who would have dreamed we would have legal gay marriage, open homo's in the military, or a black president?

In due time our demands will eventually be meet and accepted. .. :cool:

Things change..........

In due time our demands will eventually be meet and accepted. .. :cool:

Or maybe the Europeans and Americans will have concluded that Muslims have no more right to make 'demands' than do, say, Christian Scientists or the Salvation Army.

Who gives a d**n!

And if you fuck with bacon, we turn Mecca to glass.

And if you fuck with bacon, we turn Mecca to glass.

"Fuck with bacon"? I'm pretty sure a condom would be more effective.

The produce was mislabeled, and that shouldn't have happened. Forget the fact that they are Muslims, what if someone had an allergy and bought something that contained egg, when the packaging stated it didn't?

Also, to offer them a bottle of alcohol? The manager is obviously a bit dense not to know that Muslims do not drink alcohol.

And before people attack this couple, imagine if this was a vegetarian couple who were sold a meat product without realising it.

Cook it yourself.

Wait, that would be the sensible answer, it can't be right.

By the way, did the guy announce he was a Muslim as part of the complaint? Or did he just call up and point out that the product he bought was mislabeled? How is offering champagne over a cheap pastry an insult unless you go out looking for one?

The manager is obviously a bit dense not to know that Muslims do not drink alcohol.

Point of correction: Muslims say they don't drink alcohol.

In reality, many do. I lived in Morocco back in 1990 and every time I ventured into the nearest westernized city (Agadir), several of the guys I knew had me bring them six packs of beer.

That doesn't excuse mislabeled food or the faux pas of offer alcohol as a way to say sorry, but it's usually best to note the reality of the situation.

Unless the father complained by pointing out up front that he was insulted because he is a Muslim I don't see any faux pas. If I complaned about a mslabeled pastry, and got offered champagne, I would simply reply that I do not drink, I wouldn't assume the manager was trying to insult me by reading my mind and offering me something I do not partake in.

UK has a large muslim population and yet the clerk seems to know nothing about muslim laws. This surprised me.

Perhaps we should test the UK's Muslims on Christian dogma?

In general, it is a good idea for humans to know about the customs and traditions of others so that we can be sensitive about the expectations of others to a reasonable extent.

It is even better if they don't assume people know they are Muslim over the phone. At this point I do not even see the father in this story claiming he announced he was Muslim when he complained about the mislabeled food, so why get upset about an attempt to resolve a customer service dispute.

By the way, if he really cared about Halal he wouldn't shop at a none Halal chain.

Why offer Champagne anyway. A voucher for the store would have been better. Champagne for an incorrectly labelled pack of food seems a bit strange.

By the way, if he really cared about Halal he wouldn't shop at a none Halal chain.
Most traditional grocery stores where I live have had a kosher food isle of for years.

Now some are starting to add a halal section for their muslim customers. .. :cool:

Those are for people that want to dabble, the people that care about religious restrictions shop at local places, not chain stores.

Most traditional grocery stores where I live have had a kosher food isle of for years.

Now some are starting to add a halal section for their muslim customers. .. :cool:

Those are for people that want to dabble, the people that care about religious restrictions shop at local places, not chain stores.
Actually, I shop at both types of stores.

The halal store is a good 20 min. drive away, but that is where I buy my meat products.

Most of the other halal items I need are at the regular grocery store down the street. .. :cool:

Actually, I shop at both types of stores.

The halal store is a good 20 min. drive away, but that is where I buy my meat products.

Most of the other halal items I need are at the regular grocery store down the street. .. :cool:

Which is my point, you go out of your way to get the food that matters to you because you really don't trust the market to meet the standards. Observant Jews have it even harder, you can eat meat and cheese off the same plate.

Forum List

Back