Muslim family's fury after Morrisons sold them cheese and onion pasty with non-halal

...and this is why people should cook at home instead of buying prepared foods....:eusa_drool:

article-2421789-1BDA1055000005DC-841_634x816.jpg

Yousuf Khan, three, ate the pasty,

The produce was mislabeled, and that shouldn't have happened. Forget the fact that they are Muslims, what if someone had an allergy and bought something that contained egg, when the packaging stated it didn't?

Also, to offer them a bottle of alcohol? The manager is obviously a bit dense not to know that Muslims do not drink alcohol.

And before people attack this couple, imagine if this was a vegetarian couple who were sold a meat product without realising it.

The manager is obviously a bit dense not to know that Muslims do not drink alcohol.

Point of correction: Muslims say they don't drink alcohol.

In reality, many do. I lived in Morocco back in 1990 and every time I ventured into the nearest westernized city (Agadir), several of the guys I knew had me bring them six packs of beer.

That doesn't excuse mislabeled food or the faux pas of offer alcohol as a way to say sorry, but it's usually best to note the reality of the situation.

The produce was mislabeled, and that shouldn't have happened. Forget the fact that they are Muslims, what if someone had an allergy and bought something that contained egg, when the packaging stated it didn't?

Also, to offer them a bottle of alcohol? The manager is obviously a bit dense not to know that Muslims do not drink alcohol.

And before people attack this couple, imagine if this was a vegetarian couple who were sold a meat product without realising it.

Muslims do drink alcohol.

I got good and loaded with some Uyghurs in China on more than one occasion.

While at one time being necessary for health reasons, many Halal as well as Kosher laws are archaic, unnecessary and qute franky ridiculous, in the modern age.

Food
Main article: Islamic dietary laws

Halal is an Arabic word meaning "lawful" or "permissible." Halal foods are foods that Muslims are allowed to eat or drink under Islamic Shariʻah. The criteria specify both what foods are allowed, and how the food must be prepared. The foods addressed are mostly types of meat and animal tissue.

The most common example of non-halal (or haraam) food is pork. While pork is the only meat that cannot be eaten by Muslims at all (due to perceived hygienic concerns), foods other than pork can also be haraam. The criteria for non-pork items include its source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed.

The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of Allah") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck (while the animal is conscious), causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

Muslims must also ensure that all foods (particularly processed foods), as well as non-food items like cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, are halal. Frequently, these products contain animal by-products or other ingredients that are not permissible for Muslims to eat or use on their bodies.
Explicitly forbidden

A variety of substances are considered as harmful (haraam) for humans to consume and, therefore, forbidden as per various Qurʼanic verses:

Pork[Quran 2:173]
Blood[Quran 2:173]
Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but "Allah". All that has been dedicated or offered in sacrifice to an idolatrous altar or saint or a person considered to be "divine"[Quran 2:173] [Quran 5:3]
Carrion (carcasses of dead animals)[Quran 2:173]
An animal that has been strangled, beaten (to death), killed by a fall, gored (to death), savaged by a beast of prey (unless finished off by a human)[Quran 5:3]
Food over which Allah's name is not pronounced [Quran 6:121]
Alcohol[Quran 5:090]
These verses also have information regarding halal foods: 2:173, 5:5, and 6:118-119, 121.

Sounds like more people that wanted to be offended.
I have a friend plagued by a litany of food allergies. She travels with a list of things that could trigger a reaction ans has it sent back to restaurant kitchens with her food order.

If she didn't show her list or otherwise make her food restrictions know, how could the restaurant be held responsible if their food injured or killed her?

UK has a large muslim population and yet the clerk seems to know nothing about muslim laws. This surprised me.

Bosnians drink like champs and smoke like chimneys too.

Even Saudis from very conservative families will get their drink on once they get outside the borders of Saudi Arabia.

The whole thing makes no sense anyway. There is a long history of moderate drinking by Muslims since the founding of their religion. People gotta relax with some of this bug-eyed fundamentalist crap. Maybe sit back, have a drink, and talk it out.

Bosnians drink like champs and smoke like chimneys too.

Even Saudis from very conservative families will get their drink on once they get outside the borders of Saudi Arabia.

The whole thing makes no sense anyway. There is a long history of moderate drinking by Muslims since the founding of their religion. People gotta relax with some of this bug-eyed fundamentalist crap. Maybe sit back, have a drink, and talk it out.

Everything is good in moderation.

UK has a large muslim population and yet the clerk seems to know nothing about muslim laws. This surprised me.

Perhaps we should test the UK's Muslims on Christian dogma?

In general, it is a good idea for humans to know about the customs and traditions of others so that we can be sensitive about the expectations of others to a reasonable extent.

Perhaps we should test the UK's Muslims on Christian dogma?
It's been my experience that muslims know far more about Christianity than christians know about Islam.

That's because many of the people and stories in the Bible are also in the Quran. .. :cool:

May the guy or gal at the check out had a sense of humour; the Brit variety can be quite subtle sometimes.

Anyway there is a serious angle to this incident. The poor little 4 year old boy will be sent to hell by allah-the-all-merciful for eating non-halal meat. Less than optimum outcome if you ask me.

OK, OK so three year old.

Last edited:

May the guy or gal at the check out had a sense of humour; the Brit variety can be quite subtle sometimes.

Anyway there is a serious angle to this incident. The poor little 4 year old boy will be sent to hell by allah-the-all-merciful for eating non-halal meat. Less than optimum outcome if you ask me.
No he won't........ :cool:

Forum List

Back