Muslim Call to Adopt Mecca Time

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
2431112795_13060bbb25.jpg

http://www.artquotes.net/masters/salvador-dali/the-persistence-of-memory-painting.htm

Muslim Call to Adopt Mecca Time

Complete BBC Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7359258.stm

By Magdi Abdelhadi
BBC Arab affairs analyst

Muslim scientists and clerics have called for the adoption of Mecca time to replace GMT, arguing that the Saudi city is the true centre of the Earth.

Mecca is the direction all Muslims face when they perform their daily prayers.

The call was issued at a conference held in the Gulf state of Qatar under the title: Mecca, the Centre of the Earth, Theory and Practice.

One geologist argued that unlike other longitudes, Mecca's was in perfect alignment to magnetic north.

He said the English had imposed GMT on the rest of the world by force when Britain was a big colonial power, and it was about time that changed...

...A prominent cleric, Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawy, said modern science had at last provided evidence that Mecca was the true centre of the Earth; proof, he said, of the greatness of the Muslim "qibla" - the Arabic word for the direction Muslims turn to when they pray.

Where are the hoots and jeers?

When a Christian makes a religious statement that hasn't been scientifically proven, at least half a dozen regulars jump into the thread to ridicule and harass, making fun of the stupidity of Christians, the backwardness, etc. and so on.

Where are they for this thread?

It is called "Ijaz al-Koran", which roughly translates as the "miraculous nature of the holy text".

The underlying belief is that scientific truths were also revealed in the Muslim holy book, and it is the work of scholars to unearth and publicise the textual evidence.

Translation: When the passages are just vague enough they can be reinterpretted to say just about anything.

I'm surprised their isn't a religion based on the ramblings of Nostradamus.

Where are the hoots and jeers?

When a Christian makes a religious statement that hasn't been scientifically proven, at least half a dozen regulars jump into the thread to ridicule and harass, making fun of the stupidity of Christians, the backwardness, etc. and so on.

Where are they for this thread?

Right here buddy.

But since I'm a Christian, perhaps I don't qualify. :D

you need to be patient, baba.. my omniscience cant address every nutter at one time.

I'd have to ask these geologists about the whole "mecca is the true centre of the earth" silliness. Besides, they can use whatever labels they want to use. Look how far Euro has come in getting the US to hop on board the metric bandwagon.

fuckem. We'll keep our GMT and they can have their mecca time. Now, when they start producing lame fucking "documentaries" with ben stein.....

you just keep stepping in short, sharp turns round and round.

I'm not sure if it's some sort of Fruedian slip or mild lesdyxia, but whenever I read Mecca too quickly, my brain registers it as Macaca. :eusa_think:

Subtly trying to bend the world to its will. I know ... let's just sit and watch.:rolleyes:
You were the only one who commented on why I posted the BBC story. The painting above is by the Spanish Surrealist, Salvador Dali; from 1959 it is entitled "The Persistence of Memory." I chose the painting because Dali was involved in more than one controversy with Muslims. In 1961, Dali did little to improve his image among the Islamic faithful when he painted the dark and foreboding "Mohammed's Dream:"

2434235700_fc55f8df09.jpg

http://web2.infoguard.net/lubo/vision/gallery/dali/paint.php?pid=770&w=634&h=888

I read this elsewhere. Its hilarious.

That's why

science > religion

Science and religion are not diametric opposites; therfore, are not comparable. They only contradict each other where science attempts to intrude on religion by attempting to explain something it can explain no better than religion.

The point here however is that Islam is more and more encroaching on Western beliefs and the radicals are trying to force changes to suit them while we just ist back and say and do nothing.

You would have done science a far better service to have just presented an explanation as to why we use GMT instead of "Mecca time."

At least under GMT, you are allowed to question and believe in the difference between religion and science. Under "Mecca time," such an option does not exist. Sceince, logic and fact are subordinate to the religion.

Science and religion are not diametric opposites; therfore, are not comparable. They only contradict each other where science attempts to intrude on religion by attempting to explain something it can explain no better than religion.

The point here however is that Islam is more and more encroaching on Western beliefs and the radicals are trying to force changes to suit them while we just ist back and say and do nothing.

You would have done science a far better service to have just presented an explanation as to why we use GMT instead of "Mecca time."

At least under GMT, you are allowed to question and believe in the difference between religion and science. Under "Mecca time," such an option does not exist. Sceince, logic and fact are subordinate to the religion.

Islam requires EVERYTHING to be subordinate to it. Government , science, everything.

So if you're at Mecca, which way do you face?:eusa_think:

You orient to a black cloth covered stone building that was supposedly the site of or the actual monument built by Ishmael. This building known as the Kabbah was the central shrine of polytheistic Mecca and was cleansed of the 300 odd idols it housed after Mohammed conquered the city.

If you were inside the Kabbah and it was prayer time I think you would probably bow in the direction of a silver encased, jet black meteorite that was placed in the wall of the Kabbah by Mohammed. This specific rock is what is the focus of the circling of the Kabbah, the faithful attempt to touch it as a symbolic jesture (I believe to cast off their sin).

Forum List

Back