Musicals & Showtunes

De Lovely - Lets Fall in Love (Cole Porter) - Alanis Morisette

This is my all time couples dance with marvelous Gene Kelly. It may not be the most difficult, but it's the most fun.

Have a pair of legs ever been more beautifully photographed? You can't keep your eyes off them. You can watch the entire number and it's about the only thing you really remember.

This is the most incredible and complex couples dance every recorded. Nothing like this has ever been filmed since. It's the great Eleanor Powell and Fred Astaire at the height of their ability. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if the entire dance is done in a single take. The alternating rhythms. The syncopation. The synchronization. Stunning.

Judy Garland - The Man That Got Away (A Star Is Born, 1954)

This song works on so many levels. First, you need to believe the girl is a great singer. Or the movie doesn't work. Clearly, this is a diva.
Second, the movies seems it like it was written for a much younger woman and when it was released, that was certainly a legitimate criticism. But I disagree. By starring a woman in her early thirties, it gives a sense of urgency to the movie. This is her last chance. Her talent has fully matured and it takes a star on his way down to recognize the talent.

Now here is a really incredible clip. The two stars are just married and in a hotel. The husband asks the wife to sing. The music was removed so she sings as if they are actually in a hotel. Suddenly, the entire scene becomes unbelievably intimate and incredibly sexy. The same scene is played right after with the music and suddenly, it's very average. The different is something else.

Forum List

Back