Multiplex Hell

I never heard of Chevalier. I had to look it up. It is not a movie that I would see since I don't generally see movies with a black lead. Perhaps that's the problem, black exhaustion.

I wanted to go and see the new film Chevalier last week.
Looked up the listings. Not shown in Wrexham, or Chester or Shrewsbury. The closest venue was in Liverpool , about 40 miles away.

It seems that there is a limited market for niche films in multiplex hell. Virtually every film was about a superhero type.

I wonder what films would not get made today in a marke geared to teenagers with a brian capacity of a 5 year old.

One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest - no chance
Marty - ugly bloke finds love - are you kidding ?
Citizen Kane - yawn
The Third Man - Pulleeeease ?

There must be huge numbers of classic films that arent getting made.
The new movie, Oppenheimer looks pretty good. However, I've seen several films and TV specials about his life and the Manhattan Project.

I keep hoping the superhero fad will come to an end and we will start making movies about ordinary people in extraordinary situations, films that stimulate the mind, and films of beauty and style.

Yes, I agree none of movies you mentioned could be made today, at least not for theaters. There use to be a market for movies about ordinary people with acting that captured the audience intellectually and emotionally.

Last edited:
Young folks today just can't get enough super hero viewing. They also like action movies like John Wick which I confess I also enjoy.
These movie, like old Bond Movies and Star Wars, are fun to watch but not the kind of movies that really touch you and make you think. It's like the whole world wants go live in fantasy land.

Forum List

Back