Multiplex Hell

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I wanted to go and see the new film Chevalier last week.
Looked up the listings. Not shown in Wrexham, or Chester or Shrewsbury. The closest venue was in Liverpool , about 40 miles away.

It seems that there is a limited market for niche films in multiplex hell. Virtually every film was about a superhero type.

I wonder what films would not get made today in a marke geared to teenagers with a brian capacity of a 5 year old.

One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest - no chance
Marty - ugly bloke finds love - are you kidding ?
Citizen Kane - yawn
The Third Man - Pulleeeease ?

There must be huge numbers of classic films that arent getting made.

Classic films aren't being made because creativity is lost and money can't be made.
And because no matter what creative minds come up with, there's going to be SOMETHING that offends SOMEONE. The “Woke” have literally ruined comedy, and story-telling with their incessant whimpering and whining. This is offensive and that's offensive, and you “didn't use my proper pronoun.” It's complete BS.

• Sad
Reactions: cnm
It seems that there is a limited market for niche films in multiplex hell. Virtually every film was about a superhero type.
It's been like that in this country for the past 15 years. I have not seen any of the superhero films, and there have been so many, they are all franchises, with 5 or 6 sequels per film. It begs the question, is this what people want to see, or is it popular because there is nothing else offered to see?

The stupdity of that one absurd statement represents you exactly . Clueless and devoid of logic . A low - brow living in an imaginary world .Homework:- "There must be a huge number of number one pop hits that are not getting composed", or , " There must be a huge number of wonderful tasting cakes that are never eaten " . Fool.

The stupdity of that one absurd statement represents you exactly . Clueless and devoid of logic . A low - brow living in an imaginary world .Homework:- "There must be a huge number of number one pop hits that are not getting composed", or , " There must be a huge number of wonderful tasting cakes that are never eaten " . Fool.
Clueless was a great movie. Lots of fun.

Looked up the listings. Not shown in Wrexham, or Chester or Shrewsbury. The closest venue was in Liverpool , about 40 miles away.

I wonder what films would not get made today in a marke geared to teenagers with a brian capacity of a 5 year old.

Citizen Kane - yawn

Boom! There you go.
Films used to go from Cinema to retail to TV. Add in the soundtrack and there were many opps for making cash.
A lot of films did better in retail than they did in the cinema as well.

It looks like the problem the studios have is that streaming isnt paying for them like it should. I do wonder why they havent found a way to cut out the likes of netflix and amazon.

Boom! There you go.
Films used to go from Cinema to retail to TV. Add in the soundtrack and there were many opps for making cash.
A lot of films did better in retail than they did in the cinema as well.

It looks like the problem the studios have is that streaming isnt paying for them like it should. I do wonder why they havent found a way to cut out the likes of netflix and amazon.

Netflix and amazon were their DVD rental/distribution workhorses for several years. The problem now is that both are making their own original content, especially Netflix, and they are getting pretty good at it so the big studios are losing leverage every day. Netflix can put together a cast of unknowns at $250K each for lead roles and studios either can't or won't.

My understanding is Hollywood has become addicted to franchises because they have to spend less money promoting them out in flyover country. They also fill the seats as opposed to the art house type films. It becomes a trap for actors though as now the standard lead actor contract is 10 years and 3 films so once they sign on, they are kind of stuck at the studio whims.

Citizen Kane - yawn

Face it Tommy, younger folks have no interest in the kind of movies you enjoyed back in the day. They like the super hero and action movies.

Movies are being made to generate a profit and those artsy movies that Tommy likes can't draw flies.

Netflix and amazon were their DVD rental/distribution workhorses for several years. The problem now is that both are making their own original content, especially Netflix, and they are getting pretty good at it so the big studios are losing leverage every day. Netflix can put together a cast of unknowns at $250K each for lead roles and studios either can't or won't.

My understanding is Hollywood has become addicted to franchises because they have to spend less money promoting them out in flyover country. They also fill the seats as opposed to the art house type films. It becomes a trap for actors though as now the standard lead actor contract is 10 years and 3 films so once they sign on, they are kind of stuck at the studio whims.
These superhero films must have a limited shelf life. Mind, I expect that they said that about James Bond 50 years ago.

These superhero films must have a limited shelf life. Mind, I expect that they said that about James Bond 50 years ago.
Young folks today just can't get enough super hero viewing. They also like action movies like John Wick which I confess I also enjoy.

Movies are being made to generate a profit and those artsy movies that Tommy likes can't draw flies.
I dont know if the films I like are "arty". I tend to avoid that if I can. i like films that are about the human experience. Plot and script and good acting.
There should always be a market for that.

I dont know if the films I like are "arty". I tend to avoid that if I can. i like films that are about the human experience. Plot and script and good acting.
There should always be a market for that.
Just go to the old movie channel if you enjoy those films.

But it is a big shelf. You can sell a lot of merchandise off of a superhero franchise and that is free money to the studios. Halloween costumes, plastic figurines, fast food meal deals, etc etc etc.

Forum List

Back