Mubarak to step down soon

Sorry bout that,

1. Murbarak said this am that he had a prepared statement to deliver later in the day, saying, "The world will really like what I'm about to say".
2. Well the news media was thinking it was his resignation letter.
3. But now, later came and he says, " I'm not resigning, and **** OFF!!!! get off my ****ing back world!!!!"
4. Oh yeah they loved it, I am wondering if riots broke out?:lol:
5. I guess he will have to play head bowling alley down there main street, which is mohammed ave.
6. When I woke up this am the news had him about to resign, but I knew better, almost started a thread about what he was going to say, and guess what *I nailed it!*
7. But I was too busy to post it.:lol:
8. Link: Rage in Egypt as Mubarak stops short of resigning | Reuters

"President Hosni Mubarak provoked rage on Egypt's streets on Thursday when he said he would hand powers to his deputy but disappointed protesters who had been expecting him to step down altogether after two weeks of unrest.

"Leave! Leave!" chanted thousands who had gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square in anticipation that a televised speech would be the moment their demands for an end to Mubarak's 30 years of authoritarian, one-man rule were met.

Instead, the 82-year-old former general portrayed himself as a patriot overseeing an orderly transition until elections in September. He praised the young people who have stunned the Arab world with unprecedented demonstrations, offering constitutional change and a bigger role for Vice President Omar Suleiman.

Waving shoes in the air in a dramatic Arab show of contempt, the crowds in central Cairo chanted: "Down, down Hosni Mubarak."

In a 20-minute address in which he said he would not bow to foreign pressure -- Washington has called on its old ally to make way quickly -- Mubarak said he would "delegate to the vice president of the republic the prerogatives of the president of the republic in a manner that is fixed by the constitution."

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
well I didn't blame obama, up until last week and said so, I do now. hes lost and he and his incompetents at the state dept. won't shut up. I posted here a blurb from kissinger last eek week in he said this had a long way to go and we needed to stop talking...period......

read this blurb from hot air who says it better than I can;

this is the same guy ( clapper0 who in an interview with diane sawyer last month was incredulous over the London terrorist plot broken up ( see below0;

U.S. Director of National Intelligence: The Muslim Brotherhood is … “largely secular”; Update: Video added; Update: MSNBC analyst in disbelief; Update: Clapper’s office “clarifies”

I’m looking for video (Megyn Kelly played a bit of it a little while ago) but for now Politico’s write-up will have to do. Remember this guy? He was the one who got the deer-in-the-headlights look back in December when Diane Sawyer asked what he thought of the London terror plot that had been busted a few hours earlier. His office said afterward that he hadn’t been briefed on it because he was tied up all day with the Korean standoff. Fair enough.

What’s the excuse this time?

In response to questioning from Rep. Sue Myrick (R-N.C.) about the threat posed by the group, Clapper suggested that the Egyptian part of the Brotherhood is not particularly extreme and that the broader international movement is hard to generalize about.

“The term ‘Muslim Brotherhood’…is an umbrella term for a variety of movements, in the case of Egypt, a very heterogeneous group, largely secular, which has eschewed violence and has decried Al Qaeda as a perversion of Islam,” Clapper said. “They have pursued social ends, a betterment of the political order in Egypt, et cetera…..In other countries, there are also chapters or franchises of the Muslim Brotherhood, but there is no overarching agenda, particularly in pursuit of violence, at least internationally.”

The Brotherhood uses the slogan, “Islam is the answer,” and generally advocates for government in accordance with Islamic principles. The movement has as a broad goal unifying what it perceives as Muslim lands, from Spain to Indonesia, as a “caliphate.”

Walid Phares reacted in disbelief when Kelly read him the quote on Fox; I’m told that when Richard Engel heard it on MSNBC, he called it a “head-snap moment” and proceeded to debunk it straightaway. (Hoping to get video of that, too.) This isn’t the first time an administration advisor has tried to whitewash the Brotherhood recently either. Bruce Riedel, who chaired the 2009 review of AfPak policy for the White House, was urging Daily Beast readers not to fear the Brotherhood all the way back on day three of the protests, before they had even broken really big yet. I warned you the next day that we’d be seeing more of that as Mubarak lost his grip: If, as it appears, regime change and democracy are a fact of life, the White House will want to make them seem as innocuous as possible to blunt any “who lost Egypt?” voter backlash here. And now here’s our very own DNI spinning like a gyroscope.

more at

U.S. Director of National Intelligence: The Muslim Brotherhood is … “largely secular”; Update: Video added; Update: MSNBC analyst in disbelief; Update: Clapper’s office “clarifies” « Hot Air

secular..they are the MUSLIM brotherhood...hello...MUSLIM? buy a clue please.

Last edited:
Considering all things, it is best if he remain in office until September - but he must relinquish authority to someone else.
You have to remember...speedy elections are never a good thing...never.
Remaining in office, but signing a document relinquishing his power to his VP is ok with their constitution. If he all out quits, by Egypts constitution a new election must take place in 60 days - that would be a disaster.

The best move would have been to relinquish power, dissolve his cabinent and hand all power to the Egyptian military. The people would have accepted this and moved on and stability would be regained quickly. Mubarak knows what he's doing here, anybody who knows Mubarak and how power-hungry dictators operate could tell early that this was a false flag which I was worried about since about 2 o'clock this afternoon.

This was a strategic move to anger the resistance movement and cause violence in order to justify a crackdown. If this 3 million strong crowd of angry protestors go crazy tommorow morning it will shut down Cairo and Alexandria and Mubarak will then probably make an effort to regain his own power, dissolve the parliament, and re-clench total power.

Considering all things, it is best if he remain in office until September - but he must relinquish authority to someone else.
Remaining in office, but signing a document relinquishing his power to his VP is ok with their constitution. If he all out quits, by Egypts constitution a new election must take place in 60 days - that would be a disaster.

The best move would have been to relinquish power, dissolve his cabinent and hand all power to the Egyptian military. The people would have accepted this and moved on and stability would be regained quickly. Mubarak knows what he's doing here, anybody who knows Mubarak and how power-hungry dictators operate could tell early that this was a false flag which I was worried about since about 2 o'clock this afternoon.

This was a strategic move to anger the resistance movement and cause violence in order to justify a crackdown. If this 3 million strong crowd of angry protestors go crazy tommorow morning it will shut down Cairo and Alexandria and Mubarak will then probably make an effort to regain his own power, dissolve the parliament, and re-clench total power.

I think you're spot on. There will be a lot of bloodshed the next few days, as I have heard that the protesters are ready to die for their cause, and they are wanting to force the military to chose a side now.

No one still seems to understand what it was he said about the VP? Did he hand over power to him or not?

I think that line was intentionally vague. He glossed right over it, and never elaborated or revisited that topic.

I don't know that anyone truly knows who is in power tonight.

Yes he slipped that info in towards the last of his 14 minute "so long" speech in which he said he was staying `till September, but tonight and tomorrow may bring a different ending as the military struggles to decide with whom to side....

I'm not sure what the Protesters want at this point.

It's pretty clear what they want.

There were 2 to 3 million people in the streets chanting it during the presidential address. They want the same results the Tunisian Revolution produced and nothing short of it. They want Mubarak gone.

Some simply from office, some from the country.

They have already won. Mubarak will not be running in the September Elections. So he is finished as leader of Egypt. Forcing him to leave the country immediately is probably an unfair demand.

From what I understand only some are demanding this. I think the Egyptian people are very well aware of what is actually going on in their own nation better than we do here. Puting it in American perspective if Bush had done what many predicted he would do and use some "false flag" tragedy to keep himself in power using Directive 51, which is how Mubarak became President (via an emergency declaration), and tried to stay in power just 3 additional years, Americans would be in the streets and him handing over the powers of his office to Cheney until November 2012 probably wouldn't suffice.

Just saying, we can't be hypocritical. We value our rights here, so to say to them that after 30 years of living under Mubarak that they should be "careful" of what they wish for is pretty demeaning.

The man has served his country with honor & bravery for many many years. He should be allowed to step down gracefully. I think he has earned that right. The Protesters might be over-stepping with these demands. Mubarak has vowed to die on Egyptian soil. So unless these Protesters are prepared to storm the Palace and publicly lynch him,they'll just have to accept that he'll be stepping down in September. The man loves his country and isn't leaving. The Protesters should probably just accept this and go home. They have won.

He still has head of state power, which are indeed significant, so significant that those powers don't even exist in our own constitution. As much as we talk about small government our years of support for dictators like Mubarak is one of our biggest big government programs. We need to pull aid from Egypt and let Egypt's politics be Egypt's politics.

I think you're spot on. There will be a lot of bloodshed the next few days, as I have heard that the protesters are ready to die for their cause, and they are wanting to force the military to chose a side now.

Yes and that's extremely dangerous. I think Mubarak is confident that he can crush any opposition, I also think he's confident that he has the military's full support in doing so. That may be so. The bad side to this is, I don't think it will be in time to keep Egypt's economy from completely collapsing and I think that if Egypt explodes Islamists will take immediate advantage of this. The Suez Canal will be targeted, if labor strikes don't shut it down first. America might wake up to gas prices going up over the next few days and the World's economy might suffer.

Mubarak will gain control of WHAT'S LEFT of Egypt within a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure that there will be that much left of Egypt by the time this happens and the world will be dramatically changed by that time, for sure.

Yea i don't know where they found this imbecile. After the London Bombing interview debacle,they should have dumped him. This guy has no business serving in such an important position. My advice to the President would be to simply flush this Clapper down the crapper.

Wonder what it could be???????

Maybe......

"Here come's the hammer. Leave the square NOW."

??????

Now saying Mubarak's statement may come through Sulemain.

Since Sulemain now controls the military (aparently, and dejuris), my money is on "you have until morning to clear the square" or something to that effect.

Now saying Mubarak's statement may come through Sulemain.

Since Sulemain now controls the military (aparently, and dejuris), my money is on "you have until morning to clear the square" or something to that effect.

Wouldn't be surprised. A guaranteed way to radicalise common folks who just wanted some basic liberties.

Looks like he stepped down as Prez and the Military now has control

Wonder what will happen now???

The people will rule themselves is what will happen.

They will never accept a dictator again from the what I have seen of how the people of Egypt have pulled together

Forum List

Back