Mubarak to step down soon

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
And he will, because if he doesn't now, they will storm the palace and take care of it themselves.

Breaking, so no links as of yet.

DEVELOPING: The head of Egypt's ruling party says he expects President Mubarak to respond to protester demands.
Threads Merged.
The New York Times is reporting that President Hosni Mubarak could step aside as soon as tonight and hand over control to his new vice president.

Military officials say the armed forces' supreme council has been meeting all day long and will issue a communique shortly that they say will meet the protesters' demands.
FoxNews.com - Egyptian President to Reportedly Respond to Protester Demands

If he steps down, what will this mean for Egypt? Israel? The US?

In my opinion there's a potential for gas prices to shoot threw the roof, simply because of the instable vacuum of power Mubarak will leave.

I'm guessing though the ruling party will pick a new leader quickly and he will be installed to ensure some sort of stability. Let's watch as this plays out.

The Army is taking over. Given the possible alternatives, this is the best scenario.

The Army is highly regarded in Egypyt, with the ranks filled with regular citizens. It's certainly a better alternative than turning the country over to some temporary politician who would be a target of the Islamic Brotherhood for a coup.

There's hundreds of thousands in Tahrir Square celebrating already. I wonder what would happen if this was all a joke and Mubarak comes out and say "Happy Egyptian April Fools Day". They'd have a fit and tear that city to pieces.

There's hundreds of thousands in Tahrir Square celebrating already. I wonder what would happen if this was all a joke and Mubarak comes out and say "Happy Egyptian April Fools Day". They'd have a fit and tear that city to pieces.

That's my point, sort of. He HAS to go now, or they will send him out on their own.

Conflicting reports are now beginning to emerge, with the latest being a rumor from the military that he will remain in his position, but the military will assume leadership Egypt.

Should happen any minute, so we'll know shortly.

That's my point, sort of. He HAS to go now, or they will send him out on their own.

Conflicting reports are now beginning to emerge, with the latest being a rumor from the military that he will remain in his position, but the military will assume leadership Egypt.

I heard that rumor too. Some in Mubarak's government are absolutely convinced that if Mubarak steps down there will be turmoil in the streets.

Appearently I just heard on CNN that the CIA Director is saying though that it's a strong possibility that Mubarak will step down today and by tomorow night Egypt's Vice-President will be it's President. If that word alone gets back to Tahrir Square and it turns out to just be a rumor, Egypt will be shut down.

Hosni Mubarak could step aside as soon as tonight and hand over control to his new vice president.

Same old shit - different platter.

Do you think that the protestors in Egypt will accept this "transition"? Or are they going to say Hell no we want you and everybody connected to you OUT. And will he run to Saudi Arabia like the Tunisian President, or will he stay in Egypt?

Mubarak leaving and being replaced by one of his cronies will not be acceptable.

I heard that rumor too. Some in Mubarak's government are absolutely convinced that if Mubarak steps down there will be turmoil in the streets.

Appearently I just heard on CNN that the CIA Director is saying though that it's a strong possibility that Mubarak will step down today and by tomorow night Egypt's Vice-President will be it's President. If that word alone gets back to Tahrir Square and it turns out to just be a rumor, Egypt will be shut down.

Regardless of if/what an announcement is coming soon, I think its a safe bet that Egypt will be dramatically different when we go to bed tonight than it was when we got up this morning. They are either going to be partying, or pillaging in just a few minutes.

Hosni Mubarak could step aside as soon as tonight and hand over control to his new vice president.
Same old shit - different platter.

Do you think that the protestors in Egypt will accept this "transition"? Or are they going to say Hell no we want you and everybody connected to you OUT. And will he run to Saudi Arabia like the Tunisian President, or will he stay in Egypt?

I wouldn't think so. Having the torturer in chief ascending to the top job, seems to me, would serve to give them an even more villainous target for their fervor.

Regardless of if/what an announcement is coming soon, I think its a safe bet that Egypt will be dramatically different when we go to bed tonight than it was when we got up this morning. They are either going to be partying, or pillaging in just a few minutes.

Oh yeah, and it's EXTREMELY interesting to watch. I mean I'm at work, my eyes just glued to the TV. If they end up pillaging, though, our own way of life may be changed here in the states not in the same drastic way, but gas prices will not respond positively to absolute chaos in Egypt.

Oh yeah, and it's EXTREMELY interesting to watch. I mean I'm at work, my eyes just glued to the TV. If they end up pillaging, though, our own way of life may be changed here in the states not in the same drastic way, but gas prices will not respond positively to absolute chaos in Egypt.

I agree....but if he is simply "handing the reigns" to Sulemain, I think that may be the spark that ignites the fire.

Mubarak May Be Gone By Tonight...

This is a bad move, only because it's premature. According to what I've learned, ONLY an elected president can make the necessary changes to the Parliament, according to the Egyptian Constitution.

He should be given time to make the changes, then step down. If this is VP Sulemon trying to short-circuit that process under the guise of "it's what the people want", then it may not solve anything, and Egypt will just be trading one dictator for another.

I agree....but if he is simply "handing the reigns" to Sulemain, I think that may be the spark that ignites the fire.

The more I listen to the news, the more confused I am and the more I lean towards Mubarak not budging tonight. I don't know why, but something seems very strange about all these rumors and the President might have a major announcement, but there's a possibility that he's not going to "step down" tonight and if his announcement isn't what the masses wanted, THAT will ignite the fire immediately.

The military would oppose Suleiman.
Richard Engel described this as a soft or elegant coup.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back