Movies and video games promote guns on steroids

75503_138600142975713_753281754_n_zps475d4192.jpg

Media has some effect on the population to some degree however I still don't buy it. Violent video games or not, I play Call of Duty Black Ops 2 on the regular, I have a kill death ratio of about 2:1, Iget "into" the game to an extreme degree and I don't own any kind of weapons. I love military movies, Black Hawk Down being my favorite and I am completely non-violent. It's all about your philisophical views. It better be a last resort if you have to turn to violence to get yourself out of any situation. If you can't get yourself out with your own mind (diplomatically) then it's just a reflection on your own intelligence.

You know who Adam Lanza was competing with for hit points? Andre Breivik, the Norweigian crazy!

I just read about it today in the New Yorker, a "scoop," apparently. They found several articles about Breivik, the guy who killed 77 children, in Lanza's bedroom.

So that was Lanza's hit count challenge -- to kill more than Breivik did, say, 80 at least. He didn't make it, though, he only killed 27.

If you can't get yourself out with your own mind (diplomatically) then it's just a reflection on your own intelligence.
This is, of course, ridiculous, as it stands on the absurdly silly assumption that you will always be in a situation where your antagonist is willing to accept a negotiated settlement.

There are times where there is no valid soluton other than the proper application of force; to think otherwise is to deny realluty.

This is a disaster; we'd be a lot better off as a country if they went in a different direction artistically. They are seducing the male population into violence, and leading them to collect the kind of roid rage guns they show on the games and movies. If writers had done that in the '50s, they'd have been put in jail! And in the '50s, people didn't collect these arms and go shooting children in schools. There's a connection.

What would you propose the video game and movie companies do? It seems to me that these kind of games are what's popular now, and they're just catering to the audience.
Also, I know some girls who play these types of games, but no one is blaming them for increased violence. Are you saying that the games don't have the same effect on women?

What would you propose the video game and movie companies do? It seems to me that these kind of games are what's popular now, and they're just catering to the audience.
Also, I know some girls who play these types of games, but no one is blaming them for increased violence. Are you saying that the games don't have the same effect on women?

Well, apparently not; at least except for Amy Bishop, there haven't been any female shooters for a long time. And I very much doubt there are many females playing these first person shooter games. I play video games, and yuck. I don't even like the ads. Women's games tend to be more fantasy -- Dante's Inferno, Golden Axe: Beastrider, Fable III. Skyrim is my next challenge, I hope.

I think the video game and movie companies should de-emphasize the violence like they used to. They'd have all been put in jail forthwith in the '50s if they tried to sell this modern stuff! People understood very well in those days that it would lead the society into violence, and indeed it did. The competition for "hit points" alone is going to lead to huge kills by crazies competing with --- well, the leader of the moment is the Norweigian Andre Breivik, of course, 77 child kills. How is any of this good?

Circe,
Perhaps you should choose another name. Circe was (is) a very powerful Goddess who had no fear. You are so afraid of those little guns and the people who own them that it has become an obsession to you. Rest assured that you are less likely to get shot with one of those guns than the chances of winning the Power Ball lottery. The odds actually put you at a higher risk of getting raped or beaten to death with a baseball bat or moreso by someone simply kicking you to death. More people are killed by physical violence than by gun violence so you shouldn't be affraid of those 22 caliber "assault weapons" or those crazed collectors that you talk about.
You disgrace the name of the Goddess through your fear.

Circe,
The odds actually put you at a higher risk of getting raped or beaten to death with a baseball bat or moreso by someone simply kicking you to death.

Yeah, yeah, hope on, hope ever.

But Circe and ilkies are gonna get your assault rifles...........

Circe,
The odds actually put you at a higher risk of getting raped or beaten to death with a baseball bat or moreso by someone simply kicking you to death.

Yeah, yeah, hope on, hope ever.

But Circe and ilkies are gonna get your assault rifles...........

No you won't. In the hypothetical case that by some weird case of events assault weapons were banned, out here in the sticks where practically everyone owns one, or two, or three, etc, any local cop that would be stupid enough to head out to the sticks to try and confiscate those firearms would be dead within minutes and his patrol car shot to hell and burned. Then how many cops do you think will want to try it next? NONE, that's how many. They have homes and families they want to go home to. They don't want to DIE attempting to disarm Americans that LEGALLY own their firearms. And if you think that next they'd send in the National Guard or the military or something? Really? ALL ACROSS AMERICA? Well there ya go, you just started Civil War II, and that's also in the hypothetical case that our own military would fight against it's OWN PEOPLE, which in all actually is about the most absurd idea of all. No, you're not getting anyone's assault rifle son. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever...

557864_576866502324264_1288575505_n_zpsa540061e.jpg

Circe,
Perhaps you should choose another name. Circe was (is) a very powerful Goddess who had no fear.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Circe was just a minor goddess, or rather sorceress, or "rhymes with bitch." See the Odyssey --- well, maybe Wikipedia, I doubt you are ever likely to be familiar with the Odyssey.

Circe was real, real good at dealing with abusive males, however. Turned them into something useful, for the first time in their lives.

Placing the blame on video games seems odd. Japan spends way more per capita on video games, yet you don't have these issues there.

Placing the blame on video games seems odd. Japan spends way more per capita on video games, yet you don't have these issues there.

Do you know what kind of games they use, that is, are they the violent first-person shooter games like teen-age boys play here? Is there a link?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Circe was just a minor goddess, or rather sorceress, or "rhymes with bitch." See the Odyssey --- well, maybe Wikipedia, I doubt you are ever likely to be familiar with the Odyssey.

Circe was real, real good at dealing with abusive males, however. Turned them into something useful, for the first time in their lives.

It may surprise you to know:
1. I don't own any guns that are on the "ban list".
2. Circe was, according to Smith the daughter of the sun god Helios and the daughter of Hecate. The daughter of two deities is a deity. She made a couple of mistakes in her life that got her in trouble. She married a mortal - a prince who she later killed. The people liked the prince so they expelled her and Helios placed her on the island where Odyssius and his men ran into her. She may have been a bitter, spoiled goddess but she had no fear.
3. I have not only read the Odyssey and the Iliad but still have my hardbound copies from college. I also have Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and my books on Mythology and a few on ancient religions including some books that discuss the first civilization on Earth - Sumer.

Your fear is very unlike the goddess whose name you use.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back