who do you donate to?

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
553978_549619618405098_253297648_n.jpg

I give to very-very few organizations via a representative "collector".
It is far better to give direct.
You asked so...
Doctors without Borders
Red Cross (American)
Make a Wish
Girls Club
Boys Club

Every organization I know of in our little town, sports clubs for kids, church pantries, library fund, etc.

I'm a 'Friend of XXXXXXX State School for the Developmentally Disabled' - many of these residents have no 'family' except for us.

Hadassah : )) - I'm the 4th generation in my family to support women's and children's heath issues WORLD wide.

Military & Veteran's Groups: Adopt-a-Platoon, etc.

And if there's anything left, I send contributions to the art & music teachers at my son's former elementary school. And to the school counselor as well.

I'm selfish: I like to SEE the results of my donations if possible.

I happen to know that Ronald McDonald House is a very specific, very helpful charity.

It houses parents of severely injured or ill hospitalized children so they can visit them regularly. These are serious cases that have been transferred from outlying areas to city specialty hospitals.

I contribute to my alma mater and to a local poultry group and to Wikipedia and to the St. Joseph Indian School, Lakotas. I expect this last is probably corrupt: they sent little stuff all the time and try very, very hard to get you to contribute regularly. Nothing ever actually SOLVES the problem; I think that's sort of strange. Why don't Lakotas, you know, become normal? Is there just something fundamentally wrong with them forever, as though they are all retarded for life? I am uncomfortable with this charity, but they nag me into it.

I contributed to UFO for a couple times, but I don't like all the militarism.

Ronald McDonald House is an amazing charity, and one I am happy to support. I don't support the Red Cross or the Salvation Army because they sell their donated items for more than what you pay for them in the stores.

We give the lion's share of our charitable contributions to:

Salvation Army - their paid employees receive tiny salaries and benefits compared to most--it is a true service organization.

Joy Junction - a local ministry to the homeless that accepts NO state, city, or federal monies so that it is free to minister to the homeless as it feels is in their best interest.

St. Jude's Hospital so that they can continue to help severely ill children whether or not they can pay anything.

Our church that is providing serious ministry to the poor, the disadvantaged, hundreds of youth, troubled marriages, and others who need our love, concern, and hands on help.

And a few others.

I do not contribute to charities that pay their CEOs huge corporate salaries and otherwise use the money in ways that I don't deem good stewardship.

ASPCA
Humane Society
Noah's Bark
Happy Cat Rescue
Colorado Springs Zoo
Pet Smart Help Homeless Animals

Not a single cent to any charity that gives a sliver of benefit to people. From the look of it such help isn't at all needed.

I would donate to the local cancer society but only the local one. That way I KNOW whatever I donate goes to someone who needs it. I am not talking about money either. I am referring to other kinds of donations..ie mastectomy bras I don't wear or never wore, tops with sewn in pockets for breast prosthesis, mentoring or emotionally supporting someone newly diagnosed and needs an ear, wigs, scarves, etc.

Any other charity? I can't. Mainly because I don't trust where that money goes IF I donated money at all.

I donate my time and expertise to VA Hospitals.
Clothing to Goodwill.
Food to a food pantry.
Music to area nursing homes and VA nursing homes.
Boy scouts/Girl scouts.

You know..I never thought of nursing homes for my unwanted cd's. Duh. Thanks Connery!

We have a local thrift shop here who donates foods, blankets, clothing, etc to the homeless...so most of the stuff I no longer want goes there. But I think a nursing home is perfect for cd's!!

Forum List

Back