Movies and video games promote guns on steroids

Circe

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2013
Aeaea
I'm trying to think, where did all this gun business COME from? Because when I was young, nobody kept huge gun collections! Certainly there were no assault rifles. Three guns in a house would be a lot -- a pistol, a shotgun, maybe a .22 (my personal favorite).

You never saw this cult of the huge, fierce superguns like we have now.

I think it's the movies and the video games, competing with each other to push the line up, up, up!

Consider how many movies show a bare-walled room; the Hero pushes a button and the walls fly back and there are gazumpteen giant superguns all placed convenient for grabbing. Terminator 1 does that at the gun store; Terminator 2 has the mom storing guns; Tremors has the survivalist break out guns when the monsters are getting in and he delivers the classic line beloved by all gun-nuts: "Broke into the wrong damn rec room, didn't you!!" In Men in Black such a wall opens up and the Will Smith character wants one of the big giant superguns, sort of an assault rifle multiplied by 2, but he only gets a little strange pistol.

An armory with giant assault guns for grabbing and using is the norm in all these sort of movies.

Video games: I played Fable III which has some of these sort of highly peculiar big guns, but they aren't used much. I'm playing Dante's Inferno (GREAT game!) which doesn't do guns, just one melee weapon and magic.

But in honor of this public debate over assault rifles I've been looking at all the previews of Halo 3 and other such first-person shooter games, and it's an eye-opener. That's where the assault rifle craze is really coming from! All the characters do is shoot, shoot, shoot, and the more they can kill, the sooner they win even BIGGER assault rifles, three times normal size with lots of bells and whistles, strange stuff sticking out, very steroid.

The video game and movie industry has, IMO, seduced American men into wanting this kind of crazy over-developed guns and those with weak minds want to shoot them in real life, like James Holmes with his AR-15 at the Batman movie and his 100-shell magazine that jammed. He went armored like a Halo3 player, costumed up even to his hair.

This is where it has come from, the game and movie writers have got American men collecting big R/L collections of assault rifles and high-capacity magazines in an effort to bring the excitement of games and movies into real life!

This is a disaster; we'd be a lot better off as a country if they went in a different direction artistically. They are seducing the male population into violence, and leading them to collect the kind of roid rage guns they show on the games and movies. If writers had done that in the '50s, they'd have been put in jail! And in the '50s, people didn't collect these arms and go shooting children in schools. There's a connection.

When I was growing up, toy guns were a staple of every young boys possessions, and cops & robbers was a favorite game to play. Guess what: Everyone wanted to be one of the "good guys" and protect those who were threatened by the "bad guys." My, how things have changed...

When I was growing up, toy guns were a staple of every young boys possessions, and cops & robbers was a favorite game to play. Guess what: Everyone wanted to be one of the "good guys" and protect those who were threatened by the "bad guys." My, how things have changed...

Very true.

Now these slightly older kids want to go out and shoot up the school or the shopping mall.

Today there was a terrified rumor of an armored gunman at MIT with an assault rifle; seems to have been a false alarm, but this is going to be a baaaaaad year mass-shooting-wise, I can feel it coming.

You make a good point: kids used to want to be the cowboys, not the Indians; the cops, not the robbers. So what happened? Why do teen boys and some elderly adults now want to go shoot as many people as they can before the cops take them down? It's a role reversal.

Even the Halo3 and WOW games pretend you are the GOOD guys, shooting millions of "aliens." But the kids now want to shoot other regular people, especially little kids.

Part of gaming is the kill count --- the more you kill, the higher your hit count. We KNOW the teen shooters compete with previous shooters: those who survive and don't suicide tell the psychologists that. Is this just pure video game-type competition for points? I bet it is.

Almost worse than the worship of these firearms is the manner with which they are used that is promoted. People think one can function in society the way Arnold, Bruce or Sylvester do - on screen.

Almost worse than the worship of these firearms is the manner with which they are used that is promoted. People think one can function in society the way Arnold, Bruce or Sylvester do - on screen.

That's it --- that's what is going on.

These gun collectors are MODELING on Arrrrnold and Sly and Men in Black and all the many I've Got A BIG Gun heroes in the movies. And they want to take their character in Halo3 to reallife.

It's modeling, on movie and game characters, IMO. It must be: nothing else could explain the costuming the teen shooters almost invariably do, like James Holmes did at the Batman movie.

I'm trying to think, where did all this gun business COME from? Because when I was young, nobody kept huge gun collections! Certainly there were no assault rifles. Three guns in a house would be a lot -- a pistol, a shotgun, maybe a .22 (my personal favorite).

A consequence of the 1994 AWB.

Of course there were always gun collectors before the ban, but after the end of the Cold War and the subsequent flood of inexpensive combloc firearms, more Americans could afford to collect.

One of the things I 'love' in those films is how the hero will toss a weapon to someone who has not only never seen that model, but never even held a firearm. Then they proceed to off several bad guys.

Of course there were always gun collectors before the ban, but after the end of the Cold War and the subsequent flood of inexpensive combloc firearms, more Americans could afford to collect.

I talked with someone who knows stuff like this and he can't think what you are talking about : lots of communist bloc assault weapons were available and collected here in the U.S.???

I can't think of anyone who has stuff like that --- do you know a lot of Americans with cheap AK-47s? For one thing, our laws have never allowed full automatics since the 1930s, IIRC. I don't think you see cheap communist guns at gun shows, I don't remember seeing those. Clarify?

Circe, you are mistaken. For $200, a background check and some paperwork you can buy a full auto-gun. You can own an AK-47, a 50 cal machine gun. a quad 50, a chain gun, rocket propelled grenade, even full auto anti-aircraft guns. There are even places that sponsor weekends when people bring their full autos out to shoot. At these event you would go mad for all the collections of full auto guns that are brought out to shoot - and anyone is allowed to shoot then - they just pay for the ammo they use.

Collectors are not crazed killers - or there would be a lot more people dead than there are. The majority of adolecsent gamers are just gamers and most, I would bet don't even want to own a gun. - A new computer yes! but not a gun.

People still know the difference between play and reality - most of them are totally unaffected by the games they play - just as we were when we played cowboys and indians or cops and robbers. You have projected your fear of guns onto every group that has guns or plays games that depict guns trying to point to the evil of the guns. Guns do a lot more good than evil in this country. Over 2,000,000 times a year - over 5800 times a day people use their guns to prevent crime and to defend themselves against it. there are less than 1 in 100000 crimes in comparison to the use of guns to prevent crimes.

Quit trying to blame lawful gun owners for the violent crime in this country. You will never fix it until you recognize that to get rid of the violent crime you have to get rid of the violent people - the criminals. Those are the only people to blame for the violent crime in this country. The rest of us are the good guys.

America is a young and violent nation.

Always has been.

It was born by genocide, it was much built by the labor of slaves.

Violence is a big part of this nation's zeitgeist.

There are nations with as many gun owners per capita, but that aren't violent like we are.

Switzerland is an example

And then too, there are nations with violent genoicidal and slavery histories like ours that are equally violent or worse.

South Africa is a good example.

My conclusion?

Guns don't kill people, people who live in societies with a long history of organized violence, kill people.

Last edited:
Utterly and completely unsupportable, bordering on dishonesty.

The 1994 AWB did not ban anything; all of the major gun manufacturers modified their designs to comply wirh the law and kept selling them -- I, personally, bought THREE new AR-15s under the 1994 ban.

Last edited:
I can't think of anyone who has stuff like that --- do you know a lot of Americans with cheap AK-47s? For one thing, our laws have never allowed full automatics since the 1930s
Thank you for so brilliantly showing everyone that you have no idea what you're talking about. Again.
:clap2:

390f9ff0_zps70428928.jpg

You make a good point, really -- maybe we do need more armed security guards. Officials standing guard, against the private gun nuts who go off their heads so often.

That's who tries to shoot the president and other politicians, gun-nut loners who are crazy.

Jewelry stores and banks are mostly criminal hold-ups, and have long had armed guards, but all the others --- celebrities, sports events, office buildings, factories, etc. are all the targets of crazy gun wielders, who usually have no criminal history at all till they suddenly go out of their minds and start shooting everyone, usually with an AR-15 and high-capacity magazines, lugging a heavy arsenal they can hardly carry. Like that Norweigian guy who went out to the children's camp island and killed nearly 80 of the kids. That kind of hit count is sure to happen here, maybe this year.

Maybe we do need more -- sane -- armed guards. Because there are so many crazies and such a deep culture of shooting, shooting, shooting for glory. Racking up the hit points.

You make a good point, really -- maybe we do need more armed security guards. Officials standing guard, against the private gun nuts who go off their heads so often.

That's who tries to shoot the president and other politicians, gun-nut loners who are crazy.

Jewelry stores and banks are mostly criminal hold-ups, and have long had armed guards, but all the others --- celebrities, sports events, office buildings, factories, etc. are all the targets of crazy gun wielders, who usually have no criminal history at all till they suddenly go out of their minds and start shooting everyone, usually with an AR-15 and high-capacity magazines, lugging a heavy arsenal they can hardly carry. Like that Norweigian guy who went out to the children's camp island and killed nearly 80 of the kids. That kind of hit count is sure to happen here, maybe this year.

Maybe we do need more -- sane -- armed guards. Because there are so many crazies and such a deep culture of shooting, shooting, shooting for glory. Racking up the hit points.
It's simple, "the right to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed." It is lawful for citizens to possess firearms for whatever purpose they see fit, and it should stay that way. Personal safety is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back