Moved To A New Neighborhood

My brain pictures recall a study that states: Statistics indicates that 67 percent of inmates in America’s state prisons, 56 percent of federal inmates, and 69 percent of inmates in local jails did not complete high school.

What can we do aside from legally requiring it as we have can we do to keep kids in high school?

California is here to tell you that high school is a sham. The students are pushed through by social promotion, they are given meaningless diplomas and finish their education in prison.

I live in a very mixed neighborhood. One that is gentrifying. And the incoming are just as diverse, but much better off. And, right across the board, we see all the different people acting in a more civilized fashion. So it occurs to me that maybe the actions of groups of people have more to do with their intellectual and economic levels than their race or religion.
What neighborhood is this?

My brain pictures recall a study that states: Statistics indicates that 67 percent of inmates in America’s state prisons, 56 percent of federal inmates, and 69 percent of inmates in local jails did not complete high school.

What can we do aside from legally requiring it as we have can we do to keep kids in high school?

We don't want them in school as all they do is disrupt the educational process for kids who do want to be there. I have several sophomores right now who are waiting to turn 18 in 2 years so they can drop out. They do NOTHING except cause problems.

I live in a very mixed neighborhood. One that is gentrifying. And the incoming are just as diverse, but much better off. And, right across the board, we see all the different people acting in a more civilized fashion. So it occurs to me that maybe the actions of groups of people have more to do with their intellectual and economic levels than their race or religion.
Which poor red neck towns have drive-by shootings every day?

People's actions are based on their culture. Trailer trash culture might be rife with drugs and burglary, but not murder.

We don't want them in school as all they do is disrupt the educational process for kids who do want to be there. I have several sophomores right now who are waiting to turn 18 in 2 years so they can drop out. They do NOTHING except cause problems.

Ignoring the problem doesn't solve the issue of crime though. I suppose I'll have to look into why kids drop out. I'm going to presume gangs, drugs, I suspect non-parental guidance is a big thing... but probably other stuff that we might be able to do something about?

Ignoring the problem doesn't solve the issue of crime though. I suppose I'll have to look into why kids drop out. I'm going to presume gangs, drugs, I suspect non-parental guidance is a big thing... but probably other stuff that we might be able to do something about?

Who is ignoring the problem?

Your presumptions are pretty close, but you cannot expect the schools to solve those problems.

What neighborhood is this?
One of the oldest ones in Portland, Oregon.

Just talked with a old white guy who has lived in this neighborhood for 50+ years, he said it used to be really nice before the blacks started moving in.

I told him he was just racist
I could name dozens of Chicago neighborhoods that the old guy could have been describing, including the one my folks grew up in. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

One of the oldest ones in Portland, Oregon.
You live in the Whitest city in America

Are Black Portlanders More Likely to Commit Crime?
Demographic

Last edited:

Forum List

Back