CDZ Motorcycle Helmets

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Should we be required to wear them?

Why or why not?

Helmet should be required. Insurance premiums go up for all riders once someone who disregards his own safety, rides without a helmet, crashes and has to endure years of physical therapy paid for by the premiums paid by responsible riders.

Helmet should be required. Insurance premiums go up for all riders once someone who disregards his own safety, rides without a helmet, crashes and has to endure years of physical therapy paid for by the premiums paid by responsible riders.

How about if it's not covered if you don't wear a helmet, but give people that option? Instead of making it illegal?

How about if it's not covered if you don't wear a helmet, but give people that option? Instead of making it illegal?
If someone is irresponsible enough to ride uninsured and helmetless, that's fine. Thin the herd. Just so long as they hold insurance for the victims of any wreck the rider creates. But they should not be compensated for their own foolishness.

What I'm saying is they have insurance, just any injury sustained to the head of the helmetless driver won't be covered. Including death.

Not wearing a helmet doesn't cause an accident.

What I'm saying is they have insurance, just any injury sustained to the head of the helmetless driver won't be covered. Including death.

Not wearing a helmet doesn't cause an accident.

By law (which was signed by Reagan) any hospital with an emergency room must treat, and attempt to stabilize any emergency health issue, regardless of whether the victim can pay or not. That is why when you go to the hospital, your insurer gets a bill for $10 one aspirin.

If someone is irresponsible enough to ride uninsured and helmetless, that's fine. Thin the herd. Just so long as they hold insurance for the victims of any wreck the rider creates. But they should not be compensated for their own foolishness.

Said a Pennsylvania state legislator on the matter:

"If you don't think it's worth fifty bucks to protect your head, you're probably right".

By law (which was signed by Reagan) any hospital with an emergency room must treat, and attempt to stabilize any emergency health issue, regardless of whether the victim can pay or not. That is why when you go to the hospital, your insurer gets a bill for $10 one aspirin

Smoking is a "drag" (pardon the pun) on our medical system, insurance etc. yet people are allowed to smoke.

How is not wearing a motorcycle helmet any different than smoking in this regard?

and this is why Insurance is a poncy scheme. You can die with a seat belt or without one. You get the point.

They should make people who drive cars wear one along with a fire suit, I wonder how many lives could be saved?

If what is not covered? If the insurance company doesn't cover them, they can't ride. States can require everyone to wear a helmet as it becomes a cost issue more than an issue of one's personal freedom.

They should make people who drive cars wear one along with a fire suit, I wonder how many lives could be saved?

Motorcycles are less stable and less visible than cars and often have high performance capabilities. When motorcycles crash, their riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, so they're more likely to be injured or killed. The federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2013, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 26 times the number in cars.

Fatality Facts

Motorcycles are less stable and less visible than cars and often have high performance capabilities. When motorcycles crash, their riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, so they're more likely to be injured or killed. The federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2013, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 26 times the number in cars.

Fatality Facts
I wouldn't ride a bike down here in South Carolina with a helmet on, my tooling manager has been in the hospital for over a month, after he crashed his bike. These drivers are the worst in America, when I first moved down here I thought it was illegal to use turn signals because no one used them.

If what is not covered? If the insurance company doesn't cover them, they can't ride. States can require everyone to wear a helmet as it becomes a cost issue more than an issue of one's personal freedom.

Well they shouldn't allow people to smoke either for "cost issues" - seems this is singled out because it's "easy" to make a law about...

Fatality Facts
I wouldn't ride a bike down here in South Carolina with a helmet on, my tooling manager has been in the hospital for over a month, after he crashed his bike. These drivers are the worst in America, when I first moved down here I thought it was illegal to use turn signals because no one used them.

It's the same here in Virginia. People just refuse to use their turn signals... no clue why...

I'm not a motorcyclist. When I see riders not wearing helmets in an urban area I think they're nuts. When I see them helmetless away from the city (which out here would be either the desert or mountains), I envy them.

I feel helmets should be required for inexperienced motorcyclists, I'll say during their 1st year. After a year they've probably "saw it all" performed by us idiot car drivers, and with that education I'd leave it up to them.

Should we be required to wear them?

Why or why not?

No you should not. Laws requiring helmets are nothing more than nanny state government trying to save your from yourself. It's a personal choice, plain and simple. I have never ridden a bike without a helmet. I think it's stupid, but in an alleged free society you should have the right to be stupid as long your stupidity is not causing direct harm to another human being.

How does not wearing a helmet make it more likely for them to cause an accident?

I don't believe wearing a helmet should be required by law, but neither do I believe wearing a seatbelt should be required by law.

I do believe that if one chooses to use neither a helmet or a seatbelt, one is a complete idiot and has no one to blame but his or herself for whatever may befall them. In my opinion, anyone choosing to forgo either of these pieces of safety equipment should forfeit their right to sue anyone in the event of an accident.

Furthermore, any state that requires by law the use of seatbelts should also require by law the use of helmets when riding a motorcycle.

Forum List

Back