Motion Picture Roadshows

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
This article examines actors NOT speaking the language:

The Decline of the American Actor
Why the under-40 generation of American leading men is struggling—and what to do about it
Terrence Rafferty July/August 2015 Issue

The Decline of the American Actor - The Atlantic

I’ve long considered Hollywood movies the equivalent of a Broadway hit roadshow; except that movies are not based on hits. The actors in roadshows are usually unknown to local audiences, and are soon forgotten when the cast and show moves on to the next town.

Movie remakes are slightly different, but they are nothing to write home about.

The fact is that there is so much money sloshing around on television —— tax deductible advertising dollars —— and various forms of subsidies going from taxpayers to Hollywood, —— there is no need for an American actor to speak the language. If you are a movie fan, you can count your blessings for a few foreign actors who are paid for speaking properly.

If you really want to see no-talent actors paid to speak bad dialogue, compare most of the actors in television entertainment shows to the words spoken in the product commercials, and by MOST of the talkers in news shows. There are a few lousy ones on news panels, too, but for the most part news show regulars know how to enunciate every word they speak.

The worst of it is that theatrical movies end up on television; so no-talent actors in movies double dip on television.

NOTE: NO-talent means they speak so poorly it is impossible to distinguish one word from the next, and that is when they are NOT speaking through their noses, or spitting out words like a Gatling gun. Their speaking voice is so irritating I assume they have to whisper their dialogue.

To be fair, I am told that young moviegoers can identify the actors that I would not watch to win a bet. I have my doubts about well-known unknowns, because they seldom appear in more than a movie or two.

Television is slightly more stable in that a handful of character actors appear in different shows year after year until they die or wore out their welcome.

Finally, the dialogue in those movies made for ‘big stars’ is so bad movie audiences are better off not hearing it.

Forum List

Back