Most over-rated songs in the history of music

Hey Jude.

What a horrid song.

Temptations: "My Girl".

Played itself out in three months. Enough already.

^^^ :mad: :p It's watching them dance to it while they sing it: that's the whole point. You've missed the whole point. The Temptations can't do anything wrong!:eusa_whistle:

Here's a good one:puke3:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtJWJe_K_w]Our House Crosby Stills Nash & Young - YouTube[/ame]

There are probably millions (and I'll probably get booed out of the folder) - this is the first one that pops into my mind.

The Beatles- She Loves You (1963 Live) - YouTube

You are probably too young to appreciate just how new, fresh, exciting and different, She Loves You, was from anything else on the radio at the time or ever before.

It wasn't over hype at all for those who'd just lost a beloved president to hear a song like this soon afterwards, It was a really important record.

The Beatles song I quickly came to loathe for it's banality was, "Hey Jude." As a radio station board operator many years later I often ONLY played it to cover my bathroom breaks due to it's 7:11 play length.

I STILL tune to another station and run to the 'loo' if I hear it coming on. :lol:

I know legions love it.

I loathe it.

Last edited:
Just about everything by the Rolling Stones.

But in all fairness, that is more a reflection of on the fans, than on the band.

Nah - you had it right the first time.

Anything by Springstein...
Anything by Sinatra (Frank that is)...

Probably the most unlistenable cacophony ever recorded, and I get the urge to regurge just typing the title---

"Video Killed the Radio Star"

Like a few songs by Bruce. LOVE ol Blue Eyes.

Temptations: "My Girl".

Played itself out in three months. Enough already.

^^^ :mad: :p It's watching them dance to it while they sing it: that's the whole point. You've missed the whole point. The Temptations can't do anything wrong!:eusa_whistle:

Here's a good one:puke3:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtJWJe_K_w]Our House Crosby Stills Nash & Young - YouTube[/ame]

Mind you, I'm a fan of most of what the Temps did -- it's just that particular one that's so overplayed for no apparent reason. The visuals I never cared for -- all that synchronized jostling around in loud suits while playing no instruments at all just looked pointlessly silly, Temps or anyone else. It still does.

Chestnut Mare by the Byrds -

The only thing worse than hearing a tedious banal story about a horse is hearing it again... :lalala:

This is really an old, old song. My parents had the 45 of it, I found it when I helped them move. My mother told me it was really, really popular. So I played it on their old stereo.
I'm still searching for the hidden meaning. Or actually any meaning. Anyone?
The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - YouTube

The tune was originally recorded and released in South Africa 1939. It had no words then, just a hum, but went very popular and even spawned a singing style that (much later) begat the internationally-known a capella group Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Folklorist Alan Lomax collected the tune and brought it to the attention of Pete Seeger and his group the Weavers where it became a popular part of their act and had the lyrics about the lion put on. They recorded it in 1951 under the title Wimoweh, which was a stab at "Uyimbube" The Tokens then picked it up from the Weavers.

The language in the chorus would be Zulu, not Swahili.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back