Most Common Word Processing Program?

I assume it's Microsoft Word, version whatever.

I just got a new Mac, and I'm looking for something to load on...

word-yo_thumbnail.jpg
:razz:

Get Osx. Try to get away from Microsoft. If you download windows (Why?) you will need virus protection.

Get Osx. Try to get away from Microsoft. If you download windows (Why?) you will need virus protection.

You can't get more anti-MS than OpenOffice. It's written in Java, and supported by Sun Microsystems (MS's most recent arch enemy). I love Java! Mac supports Java almost as well as Linux does now.

I've used this since before Windows, though never on a MAC. Then again, I've been doing Word Processing before it was on PC....

WPDOS - WordPerfect for the Mac in the OS X "Classic" Environment

I remember the first word processors, no mouse, buttons, etc.. You had to press the Alt and Ctl keys a LOT, and no visual changes, when you changed things like font (only 10 I think were possible) bold, etc. you didn't see it until it printed. Those were fun.

I'm dating myself here, but the first word processors didn't even have CRTs.... Mag(netic) Cards inserted into a box on the floor (by IBM)

I've used this since before Windows, though never on a MAC. Then again, I've been doing Word Processing before it was on PC....

I remember the first word processors, no mouse, buttons, etc.. You had to press the Alt and Ctl keys a LOT, and no visual changes, when you changed things like font (only 10 I think were possible) bold, etc. you didn't see it until it printed. Those were fun.

I'm dating myself here, but the first word processors didn't even have CRTs.... Mag(netic) Cards inserted into a box on the floor (by IBM)

Okay, let me rephrase, the first ones on a popular computer. :razz:

I have only heard of those Mag Card ones.

LOL... I could introduce you to a "mini" computer. It's probably in storage somewhere.

LOL... I could introduce you to a "mini" computer. It's probably in storage somewhere.

Back when "mini" meant ... half a room instead of a full room? :tongue:

Oh, man... the Apple guy on the phone mentioned that possibility, and I almost hung up on the dude. No way I'm doing that. I've lived with viruses, crashes and freezes for YEARS and I'm sick of them. So far with my iMac, it's been smooth... a few annoying differences with PC that I suppose I just have to get used to, but I imagine it'll be worth it.

On my machine now, I have "Pages," the program that comes with the iWork that I bought... it's cool and all, but it doesn't look like the kind of program I could send open-able attachment to people in.

I also downloaded an obscure homemade program called "abi word" that does let me open my Word Perfect 11 (circa 2003... ahem) documents and read them, but not much else.

So, I'll check out OpenOffice. Does it have drawbacks?

Oh, man... the Apple guy on the phone mentioned that possibility, and I almost hung up on the dude. No way I'm doing that. I've lived with viruses, crashes and freezes for YEARS and I'm sick of them. So far with my iMac, it's been smooth... a few annoying differences with PC that I suppose I just have to get used to, but I imagine it'll be worth it.

On my machine now, I have "Pages," the program that comes with the iWork that I bought... it's cool and all, but it doesn't look like the kind of program I could send open-able attachment to people in.

I also downloaded an obscure homemade program called "abi word" that does let me open my Word Perfect 11 (circa 2003... ahem) documents and read them, but not much else.

So, I'll check out OpenOffice. Does it have drawbacks?

Um ... it's a memory hog, that's about it. It's the default office suite for Ubuntu to, I was using it in Windoze and the only problems I had there was Windoze just doesn't like Java. Mac there should be no other problems than the memory thing. Being a memory hog is pretty much a problem with anything that uses a "virtual machine", like Java programs, since it has to load a virtual processor into memory to execute the code. Mac I think always has a Java VM running like Ubuntu though, so the load time will also be less than in Windoze.

If you are using a IBM-like PC (Pentium, Intel, etc) then I recommend looking into Ubuntu if you want a new OS, if you have a Mac then stick with their OS.

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember writing COBOL, Fortran, and RPG programs on these babies:
The IBM 029 Key Punch machine!
029b.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember writing COBOL, Fortran, and RPG programs on these babies:
The IBM 029 Key Punch machine!
029b.jpg

Now those even pre-date mine.... LOL

Forum List

Back