Netbook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KittenKoder, May 23, 2009.

1. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Got bored, looked it up since I recently found out I can use any AT&T wifi hotspot, so decided to consider a new portable computer so I am not stuck at home so much. Work, fun, everything on the go, woot. But, I am going to make sure I get it with Ubuntu installed *eye roll* Contacting some of the companies that sell them to see if they can do it by default since the only other way would be to by an external CD drive, which I would have no other use for so that would be a waste of 150 bucks. Anyhoo, anyone have any info on a sales company that actually does this?

Or if you want to, just discuss these toys/tools.

2. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    You can skip the ext hds and use a flash drive or bluetooth dongle from your PC to load Ubuntu.

3. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    True, but it'd be easier to get it pre-installed if possible either way. Also, I hate dongling, really I do. Messed up my old laptop already because I wasn't paying attention and since I don't have the BIOS password (I hate used machines sometimes) I couldn't fix it. Though I just thought of something, since they don't have a built in CD rom I'd have to dongle anyway unless it's pre-installed. Bah! I hate this MS take over shit. Really wish more people would use Linux so they'd have it on more machines.

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I could do it through Wubi I guess, but the processors on Netbooks are slow and that would not be practical.

5. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I think you can get them pre-installed on Dell or Gateway but I can't remember which one. Just buy one cheap and take it to your local nerd for a quick install...it's really simple and they'll prolly charge like $15 - $20.

6. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Better yet, you could just network the netbook to your PC and copy the OS to the HD. DL Magic ISO/Disc and it'll load directly from the HD.

7. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I am the local geek LOL
    All the professional techies here are MS-only certified, and the more schooling they have the less they seem to know. But that's actually a good idea, just do a copy through the network. The problem will be the partitioning, since Windoze crap sucks at it. I'll probably just dongle it, but I was thinking of buying an external CDR/W that I can swap between computers, so maybe I'll do that first, then get the Netbook. Oh well, looks like I'll have to work a few more accounts this month.

8. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Do it through the network. Once loaded, delete M$ partition and use super grub to install/repair Ubuntu bootloader. Works like a charm.

9. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Right now my big challenge is figuring out how to crack the BIOS on an old laptop without opening it up. Big machines I am fine with, enough room to work, but I don't have a good set of tools and laptops are too damned cramped to do much without the tools.

10. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I know what you mean. Mine takes a three sided screwdriver. I took one apart before and it took way longer to put back together. Aside from replacing memory and hard disc drives, they are a pain.