Most Common Word Processing Program?

samp-Hollerith-census-machine.jpg

Technically, this is the first real computer, the Hollerith census computer.

You don't expect me to own up to operating that, do you? LOL

Of course not, then I'd have to wonder how they are keeping you alive. :eek:

Cryogenics.... :eusa_shhh:

I've used this since before Windows, though never on a MAC. Then again, I've been doing Word Processing before it was on PC....

WPDOS - WordPerfect for the Mac in the OS X "Classic" Environment

I remember the first word processors, no mouse, buttons, etc.. You had to press the Alt and Ctl keys a LOT, and no visual changes, when you changed things like font (only 10 I think were possible) bold, etc. you didn't see it until it printed. Those were fun.
Pffft!

That's nothing.

My first word processing was done with a stick on wet clay tablets.

I use Open Office for my PC.

I love OOo

There is a Mac version as well:
There's no such thing as a Mac. That's like saying there's a version for the Amiga:lol:

I just got a new Mac

Dumbass! Didn't you people used to make fun of us for using Microsoft? Now what's your biggest 'selling point' they push? Bootcamp!:lol::lol How's that Motorola chipset working out for ya? O, wait, that's right- your new machine is an IBM clone, too now:lol: You use Intel just like the 'PCs' mac puppets always hate on. If you want a branded Unix distro, just get Unix and put your own damned stamp on it- or just use Linux.

If you download windows (Why?) you will need virus protection.

All systems can get Viruses. Unix included.

I love Java! Mac supports Java almost as well as Linux does now.

Java's been pissing me off with this javaw.exe platform some programs use. Kava.exe is fine. This JavaW uses all my resourced:doubt:

Oh, man... the Apple guy on the phone mentioned that possibility, and I almost hung up on the dude. No way I'm doing that. I've lived with viruses, crashes and freezes for YEARS and I'm sick of them. So far with my iMac, it's been smooth...

Just wait for it. You might be a smaller target, but there are viruses aimed at systems like yours and people like you

On my machine now, I have "Pages," the program that comes with the iWork that I bought... it's cool and all, but it doesn't look like the kind of program I could send open-able attachment to people in.

What's the file format? Max compatibility=.odf or .doc

I also downloaded an obscure homemade program called "abi word" that does let me open my Word Perfect 11 (circa 2003... ahem) documents and read them, but not much else.

Abiword is a waste of HDD space

So, I'll check out OpenOffice. Does it have drawbacks?

Microsoft's still trying to Jew the world. This time, it's via .docx and the other xml-based formats. OOo 3 has imperfect compatibility, but don't sweat it: noone sends anything in .docx if they want it to be read, anyway. Just make sure you disable Open Office Quickstart, or it'll eat up your RAM

If you are using a IBM-like PC (Pentium, Intel, etc) then I recommend looking into Ubuntu if you want a new OS, if you have a Mac then stick with their OS.

Macs use Intel now. They finally pulled their heads from their asses and kicked Motorola to the curb

samp-Hollerith-census-machine.jpg

Technically, this is the first real computer, the Hollerith census computer.

I remember reading about the Hollerith... helped streamline the Third Reich. IBM made them special for the Nazis to track the race, age, religion, etc of everyone they killed.

Also, the Hollerith was not the first computer. Have hands? Used an abacus? Heard of the antikythera mechanism?

Forum List

Back