Most college students rely on the department of education for loans and/or grants

wow really?

Then how the hell did they operate in the centuries before grants and loans?

:lol:

Mostly on state funds. States don't want to fund higher education anymore though, they want to fund prisons.

Links

seriously, making shit up doesn't support what you just made up.

Did UT-Austin make this up?
Tuition Costs : Tuition Dollars & Sense
The tuition charged is in part dependent on the amount of state support received by the institution. In the early 1970s the state paid for nearly 85 percent of the cost of running the educational side of The University of Texas at Austin. Today, the state-appropriated fraction of the total budget for UT Austin is below 20 percent. The growing gap between what it costs to run the university and what the state is able to contribute has been covered in part by private donations, efficiency and other actions taken by the university. However, if the university is to maintain delivery of the quality of education for which it has become known, it determined it had to ask the students attending the university to pay for an increasing share of that gap. The University of Texas at Austin's tuition places it well below tuition at comparable universities, and the university continues to be a nationally recognized great value in higher education.

I nearly paid my way through as a waiter in '85. You couldn't come close now, and it's not b/c colleges can't afford to charge less, it's b/c they know they can charge whatever they want b/c they will get the money for a semester weather they kid comes and stays or show for one day.

The vast majority of colleges aren't for-profit institutions you dolt. They charge what they need to cover their costs.

Mostly on state funds. States don't want to fund higher education anymore though, they want to fund prisons.

Links

The tuition charged is in part dependent on the amount of state support received by the institution. In the early 1970s the state paid for nearly 85 percent of the cost of running the educational side of The University of Texas at Austin. Today, the state-appropriated fraction of the total budget for UT Austin is below 20 percent. The growing gap between what it costs to run the university and what the state is able to contribute has been covered in part by private donations, efficiency and other actions taken by the university. However, if the university is to maintain delivery of the quality of education for which it has become known, it determined it had to ask the students attending the university to pay for an increasing share of that gap. The University of Texas at Austin's tuition places it well below tuition at comparable universities, and the university continues to be a nationally recognized great value in higher education.

I nearly paid my way through as a waiter in '85. You couldn't come close now, and it's not b/c colleges can't afford to charge less, it's b/c they know they can charge whatever they want b/c they will get the money for a semester weather they kid comes and stays or show for one day.

The vast majority of colleges aren't for-profit institutions you dolt. They charge what they need to cover their costs.

how about for the years form 1777 to 1975

or are you saying academics can't figure out how to thrive w/o free money?

Watching the world I've learned what the most important things are for a nation.
1. Education--->Most of Africa would kill for a stable public education system ;)
2. Infrastructure--->Most of Africa and much of the world would kill for more of this ;)
3. Free liberal regs that allow for the development of business and idea's.
4. Police force to keep the peace
5. Strong tech and science development(r@d). Nothing brings in the bucks and allows for military strength then this. ;) Mercks, boeings, space-x, ford, chevy, nasa, noaa, darpa, intel, Microsoft, apple, etc.

Without these a nation is normally a shit hole. fact.

Last edited:
I heard something on the Business channel this morning. College degrees have become so worthless that companies are going to stop relying on them and instituting their own testing procedures.

More College Students Rely On Federal Aid, Study Says : The Two-Way : NPR
Given these figures, anyone want to take any guesses at how many college "libertarians" who want government "out of their lives" are relying on federally subsidized student loans to go to school?

I've got a homework problem for all you college libertarians on federally subsidized loans - start living by your principles! You should take out loans in the private sector to pay off those subsidized loans immediately, as well as rely only on those loans when you need to borrow in the future! Once you have done this, please report back to us your experience! I'd love to know what kind of interest rate someone with zero collateral, hardly any work experience, and barely a credit history can get on an unsecured 20 year loan in the private sector! (Compare it to say - the credit card interest rate the average college student gets after the introductory rates expire - I bet its not that far off.)

Now repeat after me government hating college libertarians:
Get government out of your life! Pay higher interest!

Given the idiocy of the PooP does anyone want to guess what he got wrong?

That's right, the assumption that the only way to pay for college is to borrow money.

I'm not sure how you got that from reading the OP. You clearly have severe reading comprehension problems.

Myself, I didn't borrow a cent to go to college and graduate school.

You never went to either, if you had you wouldn't be arguing that the fact that the government kicked everyone else out of student loans is proof that the government should be in student loans.

Links

Why does it cost to run the university?

Hint, it isn't the education they provide.

Links

how about for the years form 1777 to 1975

or are you saying academics can't figure out how to thrive w/o free money?

Very few people went to college until the GI bill came along.

The universities were getting much more money from the states in the past and no - they cannot "figure out" how to pay less for things than they actually cost. The average university has already undertaken as many measures as possible to reduce costs - there are fewer tenured professors and more part time and adjust professors. There are fewer professors overall and more instructors. These measures can only cut costs so far - and they always do at expense to the quality of research that the institution will be able to deliver. Ultimately, when the states yank their funding the difference has to come from somewhere.

Last edited:
I heard something on the Business channel this morning. College degrees have become so worthless that companies are going to stop relying on them and instituting their own testing procedures.

And I'm all fucking for it.

I'd also favor universities cutting out general education requirements. This could reduce the time required to attain a bachelors to about 2 1/2 years. Those students who wish to be "well rounded" can of course take as many additional courses as they please, but so long as a college degree is mostly for the purposes of attaining employment, there should be more efficient options to students than available now. Eliminating most general ed requirements would also have the indirect effect of making teaching much more efficient - as any teacher knows, teaching willing students is far more enjoyable and productive than teaching the unwilling. General ed requirements many times throw non-majors into introductory classes with majors, reducing the worth of those classes to near zero, as the non-majors drag down progress. Who can blame them? They are grown adults suffering through coursework they neither want to take nor need to take for their chosen career path!!

I would suggest reducing the general ed requirements for a B.S. to 1 semester each of english, history, and math - in terms of LSU that would be 9 hours of lectures a week for one semester, and students who are already at the level of these minimal requirements should be encouraged to test out of them.

There is no need for government to fund loans and grants for more than the student needs to proceed to the next step in their career.

Last edited:
Given the idiocy of the PooP does anyone want to guess what he got wrong?

That's right, the assumption that the only way to pay for college is to borrow money.

I'm not sure how you got that from reading the OP. You clearly have severe reading comprehension problems.

You never went to either, if you had you wouldn't be arguing that the fact that the government kicked everyone else out of student loans is proof that the government should be in student loans.

I'm not arguing that. That doesn't even make sense.

Links

whatever you say

Did you read your OP?

Or do you really expect me to believe that there are people that hate government loans that use them? Do you suffer under the delusion that OWS is a libertarian movement?

whatever you say

I remember when going to college meant living in a dorm with absolutely no on campus entertainment. Now we have student activity centers, dorms that have cable TV, and 24 hour cafeterias.

Do those come from unicorn farts?

Did you read your OP?

Or do you really expect me to believe that there are people that hate government loans that use them? Do you suffer under the delusion that OWS is a libertarian movement?

The government didn't "kick everyone else out" of student loans.

whatever you say

I remember when going to college meant living in a dorm with absolutely no on campus entertainment. Now we have student activity centers, dorms that have cable TV, and 24 hour cafeterias.

Do those come from unicorn farts?

They didn't have a student union where you went to college? That's kinda fucked.

Did you read your OP?

That was pathetic.

The only way to get a loan that is not backed by the government is to pass a credit check. Believe it or not, students without any jobs, and no credit history, do not pass credit checks. Their parents might, but they won't.

Did you read your OP?

That was pathetic.

The only way to get a loan that is not backed by the government is to pass a credit check. Believe it or not, students without any jobs, and no credit history, do not pass credit checks. Their parents might, but they won't.

That's kinda my fucking point you moron.

For those who do not understand the connection between more and more federal money going into "higher education" and the rapid increase in tuitions, I call your attention to other areas of large expenditures, and how cheaper money has influenced them.

In the 60's, car loans were for either 2 or 3 years, and leasing was mainly used by businesses. You could buy a nice family car for $3,000. Although a lot of other factors came into play, car prices really started escalating when lenders started going to 48 month financing (then 60, and now 72(!)), and when the car manufacturers got the hang of leasing. These allowed people to DRIVE cars that were previously beyond their means, and the prices of cars went up at a rate that was twice the rate of inflation. They covered up a lot of the increases by introducing "higher end" models that were priced a lot higher but cost very litte more than the base models (thing Caprice versus Biscayne).

Notice also how lower mortgage interest rates always cause people to spend more for houses, and thus enter into levels of debt (and financial risk) that they would not even have considered without the enticing low interest rates.

With the Feds providing grants, loans, and loan guaranties, the schools have been able to jack up tuitions at rates that are multiples of the rate of inflation. The new money has brought about palatial dorms, student activity centers, gymnasiums, swimming pools, and athletic facilities. They have brought about layer upon layer of college administration that adds NOTHING to education. And more and more instruction is provided by grad-assistants and adjunct faculty, rather than Professors.

I submit that a top-quality parochial high school can provide 30 hours of instruction per week for nine months at a cost of maybe $8,000 per year, while a good private college demands $30,000 for 15 hours of instruction per week for, maybe, 8 months. There are a lot of other variables involved, of course, but there is no avoiding the conclusion that America's college students (and their parents) are getting raped in more ways than one.

And the amount of government money that is flowing into the System is the biggest single driver. It is a classic case of the Rule of Unintended Consequences.

Forum List

Back