Most college students rely on the department of education for loans and/or grants

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
More College Students Rely On Federal Aid, Study Says : The Two-Way : NPR
The percentage of U.S. undergrads who rely on the federal government for financial aid soared above 50 percent in the most recent survey from the National Center for Education Statistics. The data show that for the first time, a majority of students got federal help.

Given these figures, anyone want to take any guesses at how many college "libertarians" who want government "out of their lives" are relying on federally subsidized student loans to go to school?

I've got a homework problem for all you college libertarians on federally subsidized loans - start living by your principles! You should take out loans in the private sector to pay off those subsidized loans immediately, as well as rely only on those loans when you need to borrow in the future! Once you have done this, please report back to us your experience! I'd love to know what kind of interest rate someone with zero collateral, hardly any work experience, and barely a credit history can get on an unsecured 20 year loan in the private sector! (Compare it to say - the credit card interest rate the average college student gets after the introductory rates expire - I bet its not that far off.)

Now repeat after me government hating college libertarians:
Get government out of your life! Pay higher interest!

Last edited:
The percentage of U.S. undergrads who rely on the federal government for financial aid soared above 50 percent in the most recent survey from the National Center for Education Statistics. The data show that for the first time, a majority of students got federal help.

Given these figures, anyone want to take any guesses at how many college "libertarians" who want government "out of their lives" are relying on federally subsidized student loans to go to school?

I've got a homework problem for all you college libertarians on federally subsidized loans - start living by your principles! You should take out loans in the private sector to pay off those subsidized loans immediately, as well as rely only on those loans when you need to borrow in the future! Once you have done this, please report back to us your experience! I'd love to know what kind of interest rate someone with zero collateral, hardly any work experience, and barely a credit history can get on an unsecured 20 year loan in the private sector! (Compare it to say - the credit card interest rate the average college student gets after the introductory rates expire - I bet its not that far off.)

You and the deanomatic were cracked out of the same stupid mold ?

Two of the most hateful bigoted ,trolls here.

7.5% is now, I am informed, the rate for government backed student loans.

What that means is that the private banks that loan to students are guaranteed a 7.5% return on their investment in an economy where those same banks can borrow money at less that 1/10th of 1%!

Bulletproof investments that pay a rate of return of 7500% or greater.

That's what student loans are FOR BANKS

Nice work if you can get it eh?

What that means is that the private banks that loan to students are guaranteed a 7.5% return on their investment in an economy where those same banks can borrow money at less that 1/10th of 1%!

Not fair for the student...Education is far too important for it to be this hard on our young adults. :(

You are not informed correctly.
Student loan rates will return to lower levels, after a partisan fight in Congress allowed interest rates to double in July. Under compromise, undergraduates will be able to borrow at 3.9 percent this fall, graduate students at 5.4 percent, and parents at 6.4 percent. Rates could rise in subsequent years.
Obama signs bill lowering student loan rates - CSMonitor.com

No it doesn't mean that, not any more.
Student loans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guaranteed loans were eliminated in 2010
through the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act and replaced with direct loans because of a belief that guaranteed loans benefited private student loan companies at taxpayers expense, but did not reduce costs for students.[2][15]

this has probably been said already

but if you removed the free money colleges get, they would have to lower tuition fees to the point people could work their way through.

but b/c liberals know that's how it works, we will never ever be able to do that again.

but if you removed the free money colleges get, they would have to lower tuition fees to the point people could work their way through.

Except that isn't true, no matter how many times its been said. Most public and many private universities would simply not have enough money to operate if they lowered tuition without other revenues to make up the difference.

Last edited:

Except that isn't true, no matter how many times its been said. Most public and many private universities would simply not have enough money to operate if they lowered tuition without other revenues to make up the difference.

wow really?

Then how the hell did they operate in the centuries before grants and loans?

:lol:

wow really?

Mostly on state funds. States don't want to fund higher education anymore though, they want to fund prisons.

wow really?

Mostly on state funds. States don't want to fund higher education anymore though, they want to fund prisons.

Links

seriously, making shit up doesn't support what you just made up.

I nearly paid my way through as a waiter in '85. You couldn't come close now, and it's not b/c colleges can't afford to charge less, it's b/c they know they can charge whatever they want b/c they will get the money for a semester weather they kid comes and stays or show for one day.

well how sweet, the dept of education has A MONEY tree in the back of the building they PLUCK all the money off it to give away...

now repeat after me, all hail the government and all the FREE MONEY THEY GROW

Given the idiocy of the PooP does anyone want to guess what he got wrong?

That's right, the assumption that the only way to pay for college is to borrow money.

Most college students rely on the department of education for loans and/or grants

Yes, and you thank the federal government for instituting policies that have resulted in the skyrocketing of tuition.

Don't be ridiculous, the federal government didn't make the states defund their university systems. Dumbest thing I've heard all day.

Given the idiocy of the PooP does anyone want to guess what he got wrong?

That's right, the assumption that the only way to pay for college is to borrow money.

I'm not sure how you got that from reading the OP. You clearly have severe reading comprehension problems.

Myself, I didn't borrow a cent to go to college and graduate school.

Forum List

Back