Morning After pill

GotZoom said:
I assume then that the morning after pill and abortion aren't that big a deal for rape and incest?

I know what I said. And I know the conclusion you have come to to ask that. But you didn't really answer me and tell me how you came to the conclusion. you just reposted what I said, which had nothing to do with rape or incest. and reposted your question. How am i supposed to answer you if you don't explain to me how you came to such an assumption.

I know what I said. And I know the conclusion you have come to to ask that. But you didn't really answer me and tell me how you came to the conclusion. you just reposted what I said, which had nothing to do with rape or incest. and reposted your question. How am i supposed to answer you if you don't explain to me how you came to such an assumption.

Geez...this really isn't that difficult.

Ok...let's try this.

You said:

My policy:

Chastity before marriage,
Fidelity afterwards.

Then stupid things like a morning after pill and abortion really arent that big a deal.

The assumption could be made then, that since neither rape nor incest fall into your "policy", the morning after pill and abortion "aren't that big of a deal" - which probably means you are ok with ending a pregnancy that comes from one of these two things.

It was unclear. I hate to make assumptions.

Hence the question.

My policy:

Fidelity afterwards.

Then stupid things like a morning after pill and abortion really arent that big a deal.

May I but in here? I think Avatar meant that by honoring those two morals, a morning after pill or an abortion would not apply to him. Is that right Avatar?

Zoom, I could see how you read into it that as long as everyone practiced what Avatar believes in, we wouldn't need the morning after pill or abortion. You were pointing out that there are instances that are not within someone's control when it comes to having intercourse.

How's that?

ProudDem said:
My policy:

Fidelity afterwards.

May I but in here? I think Avatar meant that by honoring those two morals, a morning after pill or an abortion would not apply to him. Is that right Avatar?

Zoom, I could see how you read into it that as long as everyone practiced what Avatar believes in, we wouldn't need the morning after pill or abortion. You were pointing out that there are instances that are not within someone's control when it comes to having intercourse.

How's that?

If he gets it, then my part....very good!

GotZoom said:
The assumption could be made then, that since neither rape nor incest fall into your "policy", the morning after pill and abortion "aren't that big of a deal" - which probably means you are ok with ending a pregnancy that comes from one of these two things.

I think in those cases it would be more tolerable if that is what you mean. I dont think id find any problem with a morning after pill. However, abortion does involve another life. that of the Child. And even in the case of rape or incest abortion should be the last and more extreme act done only after serious contemplation of the act and it's alternatives.

However, I don't make personal or public policies based on exceptions. And rape and incest are an exception to the rule.

Plan B (the morning-after pill) is just like extra-strong birth control pills. In fact, the same result can be obtained by taking 4 BCPs a day for 2 days.

It just prevents a fertilized egg (zygote) from attaching to the uterus where it could develop into a fetus. It is quite a bit different from an abortion, in many ways. I would prefer it if women did not use it for contraception, but if it's available there really isn't a good way to prevent them from doing so other than education.

ProudDem said:
I support abortion in cases of rape, incest, when the mother's life is in danger, or when the baby has a severe disability.

So you support abortion if a baby has a severe disability?

Do you think that disabled people who have been born should be killed? You know, a post-birth abortion?

I don't understand people who support abortion, but only in certain cases. Either it's murder or it's not.

Max Power said:
So you support abortion if a baby has a severe disability?

Do you think that disabled people who have been born should be killed? You know, a post-birth abortion?

If a couple found out that their child would be seriously disabled before the 3rd trimester, yes, I do support abortion. I know many people think that's despicable, but I don't. A missing finger, nope. But someone who won't develop legs or will be seriously mentally retarded, yes. Now, I am saying this without ever having been pregnant. Maybe once I am pregnant, I will see abortion differently. Who knows? I have had a relative abort a baby on this basis, and I supported her decision.

No I don't think disabled people should be killed. There is a difference, in my eyes, between a fetus and an actual baby.

I don't understand people who support abortion, but only in certain cases. Either it's murder or it's not.

I don't see it as murder. I don't know if I could articulate well why I don't, it's just how I have always felt.

ProudDem said:
If a couple found out that their child would be seriously disabled before the 3rd trimester, yes, I do support abortion. I know many people think that's despicable, but I don't. A missing finger, nope. But someone who won't develop legs or will be seriously mentally retarded, yes. Now, I am saying this without ever having been pregnant. Maybe once I am pregnant, I will see abortion differently. Who knows? I have had a relative abort a baby on this basis, and I supported her decision.

No I don't think disabled people should be killed. There is a difference, in my eyes, between a fetus and an actual baby.

I don't see it as murder. I don't know if I could articulate well why I don't, it's just how I have always felt.

you support killing a fetus that did not develope legs...geez there are sure alot of people out in the world that lost legs and produce quite well...this is sick! :eek:

ProudDem said:
Zhukov, I hadn't heard of the pill you mention that can be taken up to 49 days into pregnancy. Hmmm. I was talking about the one that has to be taken within 72 hours of intercourse.
Alright, that one seems safe, and isn't, as Hobbit pointed out, really abortion at all. Just a preventitive measure against fertilization. No problems there.

ProudDem said:
I am curious if anyone who opposes abortion, supports the morning after pill. Or do people consider them one in the same?

For those that oppose both, do you believe that one is the lesser of the two evils, or equal?

Part of me supports it, but then part of me doesn't. The part that supports it is I believe it would reduce the number of abortions that are being done as a means for birth control. I am sure many of you think that life begins at conception, but the thought of eliminating a bunch of cells versus a fetus that takes the shape of a person seems more tolerable.

But part of me doesn't support it because I worry that some women would use it as a means of birth control, which I do not support.

I support abortion in cases of rape, incest, when the mother's life is in danger, or when the baby has a severe disability.

I don't consider the morning after pill and abortion the same thing since it's been pointed out that the pill has to be taken in the first 2 days and is preventing the egg (if fertilzed) from implanting itself into the uterus. For an abortion the egg is known to be fertilzed and is already attached to the uterus.

archangel said:
you support killing a fetus that did not develope legs...geez there are sure alot of people out in the world that lost legs and produce quite well...this is sick! :eek:

Honestly, Archangel, it would be on a case-by-case basis. I probably didn't do a good job of describing a disability that would cause me to support a woman having an abortion.

ProudDem said:

That's fine.

I just don't understand why some people conditionally support abortion.

It's either murder or it isn't.

Trigg said:
I don't consider the morning after pill and abortion the same thing since it's been pointed out that the pill has to be taken in the first 2 days and is preventing the egg (if fertilzed) from implanting itself into the uterus. For an abortion the egg is known to be fertilzed and is already attached to the uterus.

Hi Trigg. Thanks for getting back to me.

Forum List

Back