More ways for taxpayers to pay

Good thing most of the United States does not agree with you

Good thing most of the US used to agree on slavery
Good thing most of the US used to agree that women should not vote
Good thing most of the US used to agree that bleeding was an acceptable medical practice

Argumentum ad populum does not make something right.

A fallacy

Attempting to connect social issues with economic issues

If you want to claim economic issues have morality

Isn't it the right of the people who have success to help the people attempting to succeed

YOU were the one using the fallacy. By pointing to a supposed majority of people thinking the way you do, you tried to make your position appear "right" which a classic appeal to the masses (or mob).

A fallacy does not discriminate between economic or social issues, or any issues, it is an error in logic.

And how does someone making the government foot the bill for a $200k education in conceptual theater or some other horsecrap "helping someone to succeed?" If they were sucessful shouldnt they be able to pay thier own bill?

Good thing most of the US used to agree that bleeding was an acceptable medical practice

A fallacy

Isn't it the right of the people who have success to help the people attempting to succeed

YOU were the one using the fallacy. By pointing to a supposed majority of people thinking the way you do, you tried to make your position appear "right" which a classic appeal to the masses (or mob).

A fallacy does not discriminate between economic or social issues, or any issues, it is an error in logic.

And how does someone making the government foot the bill for a $200k education in conceptual theater or some other horsecrap "helping someone to succeed?" If they were sucessful shouldnt they be able to pay thier own bill?

You are basing success on money. How capitalistic of you.
Maybe to whoever majored in some humanities they feel like they have had success

"Pay As You Earn" Student Loan Plan Begins This Month | Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

Looks as though it is time to pander to the students who don't choose majors wisely and who already abuse the student loan program (which should not be a function of government anyway)

Let's see... capped at 10% of discretionary spending... hmm.... Dreadlock Dolly decides to major in Sanskrit with a minor in Gender Studies. Does not matter that paying 200K for these degrees won't really land a viable job, does not matter at all. Now Dreadlock Dolly decides to live in the cultural area of NYC or in SF, where rent is something like 2K a month for a 1BR. Can't get a good paying job with those degrees, and of course she does not want to work something 'beneath' her 'education'. Well, no need to worry about paying for those dreaded evil college loan bills. Dreadlock Dolly can recite gender poetry at the local cafe at nights earning practically nothing and supplement that with a job at Starbucks that barely covers her rent and food. Say she is lucky enough to earn 1K a month above what it costs for her housing, food, etc. Well, with this new idea, that leaves a max of $100 a month that she can be forced to pay toward HER debt. She continues to 'find herself' over the years, paying this amount. Well, after 20 years and lots of poetry readings, she has paid off a bit over 20K on her 200K loan for tuition. Well, all is to be forgiven and paid for by the actual taxpayer. After all, her 'education' is paramount :rolleyes:

We really are fostering irresponsible behavior in this country, more and more. People thinking there is no need for personal responsibility, doing what you have to do, paying for what you want yourself, etc....

This is un-fucking-real

So...you'd rather they owe that money forever or default? How would that be better?

Owe it forever until you've paid every last goddamned dime back you lousy leech.

A fallacy

Maybe to whoever majored in some humanities they feel like they have had success

If you borrowed to get that success, well it took money you didnt have. And if the government has to pony up when you can't pay it, then yes, I base success in this case in terms of money. Specifically the money you need to pay back that my taxes are covering.

If you want to major in something where there is no return on investment, pay for it yourself.

I picked a profession that pays, so I can pay my loans back. Why should I not expect the same from everyone else?

Good thing most of the United States does not agree with you

A fallacy

And, no it isn't a right at all where did you come up with that shit?

If you borrowed to get that success, well it took money you didnt have. And if the government has to pony up when you can't pay it, then yes, I base success in this case in terms of money. Specifically the money you need to pay back that my taxes are covering.

If you want to major in something where there is no return on investment, pay for it yourself.

I picked a profession that pays, so I can pay my loans back. Why should I not expect the same from everyone else?

What if you are paying it back by assisting in the community?
There are thousands of ways to pay it back without actually giving money to the government.

Last edited:

There are thousands of ways to pay it back without actually giving money to the government.

You don't make a car payment by labeling out soup or giving advice about gender issues.. same with a loan payment based on a monetary payment that was used to obtain that 'education'

then get a fucking JOB and pay your own way through college. asswarp

I guess you are misunderstanding the point.

Then WTF was your point? Go to college. Get a HUGE debt. Let the tax-payers pay for it, because you were not doing it to get a job. You were getting it to make yourself smarter?

Doesn't being a smarter person always help the community in the long run

This country would be much better if people were actually allowed to be educated in universities and not molded into workers

You don't make a car payment by labeling out soup or giving advice about gender issues.. same with a loan payment based on a monetary payment that was used to obtain that 'education'

A car is a material object that the government should not provide and has nothing to do with the government repaying your education because you do not have the finances to do so.

A person assisting in the community is as good as a repaid loan in my opinion

I guess you are misunderstanding the point.

Then WTF was your point? Go to college. Get a HUGE debt. Let the tax-payers pay for it, because you were not doing it to get a job. You were getting it to make yourself smarter?

Doesn't being a smarter person always help the community in the long run

This country would be much better if people were actually allowed to be educated in universities and not molded into workers

No... Manson was a smart man, so was Ted Bundy

If you don't use your smarts to get what you need to take care of your personal responsibility and personal debts... that is a detriment to the community as a whole, especially when you expect the community to pay for or forgive your personal debt

A car is a material object that the government should not provide and has nothing to do with the government repaying your education because you do not have the finances to do so.

The degree is a product...

And your opinion is irrelevant.. it is based on your feeling about the education.. not the reality of the debt or the product

And your opinion is irrelevant.. it is based on your feeling about the education.. not the reality of the debt or the product

The Public university system should be free anyway

No PRODUCT for an ADULT citizen should be free (in progressive speak, at the expense of someone else)... your CHOICE to go after an education product as an adult becomes your responsibility.. if you want it 'free', then check out a library book and read for your education

Yea, then the tax payers would pay for ALL educations. Great idea. Then they can be smart dwelling in their parents basement, endorsing even more money from the contributors, not doing a goddamn thing for society. But hey, they know the differnce between a verb and noun!

"Pay As You Earn" Student Loan Plan Begins This Month | Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

Looks as though it is time to pander to the students who don't choose majors wisely and who already abuse the student loan program (which should not be a function of government anyway)

Let's see... capped at 10% of discretionary spending... hmm.... Dreadlock Dolly decides to major in Sanskrit with a minor in Gender Studies. Does not matter that paying 200K for these degrees won't really land a viable job, does not matter at all. Now Dreadlock Dolly decides to live in the cultural area of NYC or in SF, where rent is something like 2K a month for a 1BR. Can't get a good paying job with those degrees, and of course she does not want to work something 'beneath' her 'education'. Well, no need to worry about paying for those dreaded evil college loan bills. Dreadlock Dolly can recite gender poetry at the local cafe at nights earning practically nothing and supplement that with a job at Starbucks that barely covers her rent and food. Say she is lucky enough to earn 1K a month above what it costs for her housing, food, etc. Well, with this new idea, that leaves a max of $100 a month that she can be forced to pay toward HER debt. She continues to 'find herself' over the years, paying this amount. Well, after 20 years and lots of poetry readings, she has paid off a bit over 20K on her 200K loan for tuition. Well, all is to be forgiven and paid for by the actual taxpayer. After all, her 'education' is paramount :rolleyes:

We really are fostering irresponsible behavior in this country, more and more. People thinking there is no need for personal responsibility, doing what you have to do, paying for what you want yourself, etc....

This is un-fucking-real

So...you'd rather they owe that money forever or default? How would that be better?

SL's should be treated like SBA loans.... no plausible plan for post graduation job? No money. I'm tired of these fuckwits borrowing a gazillion $$ to get a PhD in Druid philosophy and then whining they can't find a decent job. Fuck 'em... garnish their wages till it repaid.

Guess what? People will start being more careful.

They can't default on student loans. Otherwise doctors would automatically default on their enormous debts so they could keep all their huge earnings later.

We should only pay schools & teachers as their students earn. If the student fails, the teacher fails to get paid.

Why do Democrats praise the pay-for-performance model in Obamacare, but not in education. We should only pay schools & teachers as their students earn. If the student fails, the teacher fails to get paid. Then we would not have huge student debts. Just stop paying schools/college who's students don't earn. They will suddenly mold that student into a producer instead of a moocher.

Forum List

Back