More Reasons to Love Keith Richards

Actual professional guitarists would laugh at you.

True story!

Bullshit. Real guitarists turn up their noses to hack rock and roll guitarists, especially simpletons like Richards. You are a moron.
Keith Richards is one of the most influential rock guitarists in history.

EVERY rock guitarist of any renown will tell you that.
i think he is mostly known for his composing synth....i just looked at 5 greatest guitarist polls and he was not in any of their top 20 he usually showed up around 30-50 range....so its all what you like....

Taste is a personal thing. I get that. But if you compare him to Al Di Mola or a classically trained guitarist, or Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker, then it is clear that Richards is a peasant when it comes to guitar players. What about Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani? Tony McAlpine or Marty Friedman?

Keith Richards is a joke as a guitar player. He did compose done catchy tunes. I like the Stones and Richards. But when some dweeb says something stupid - like Richards being a great guitar player - it irritates me.
You have to be a wingnut, because you can't read, you make false arguments, and you lie about what people say.

Where did I say that Richards was a great guitarist? I didn't. I said he was influential, which he most certainly was.

Now, RollingStone.com does list him as the 4th greatest guitarist. They don't specify, but I have to assume they are limiting it to rock. And as much as I love Al DiMeola, he's not a rock guitarist.

Keith Richards - 100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

Why are you so dishonest? Is it your conservative value?

Those Rolling Stones "Greatest" lists are largely bullshit.....

I'm with Buzz on Al Di Meola......check out the studio version of Man of Leo, with Stomu Yamashta and Stevie Winwood...

But the guy who stands apart from everyone else?

Steve Morse...

End of discussion

Bullshit. Real guitarists turn up their noses to hack rock and roll guitarists, especially simpletons like Richards. You are a moron.

i think he is mostly known for his composing synth....i just looked at 5 greatest guitarist polls and he was not in any of their top 20 he usually showed up around 30-50 range....so its all what you like....

Taste is a personal thing. I get that. But if you compare him to Al Di Mola or a classically trained guitarist, or Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker, then it is clear that Richards is a peasant when it comes to guitar players. What about Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani? Tony McAlpine or Marty Friedman?

Keith Richards is a joke as a guitar player. He did compose done catchy tunes. I like the Stones and Richards. But when some dweeb says something stupid - like Richards being a great guitar player - it irritates me.
You have to be a wingnut, because you can't read, you make false arguments, and you lie about what people say.

Where did I say that Richards was a great guitarist? I didn't. I said he was influential, which he most certainly was.

Now, RollingStone.com does list him as the 4th greatest guitarist. They don't specify, but I have to assume they are limiting it to rock. And as much as I love Al DiMeola, he's not a rock guitarist.

I'm with Buzz on Al Di Meola......check out the studio version of Man of Leo, with Stomu Yamashta and Stevie Winwood...

Steve Morse...

End of discussion

I completely forgot about Steve Morse. There is nothing he cannot do on the guitar!

Steve Morse...

End of discussion
I have almost all of Di Meola's albums until the mid-1980s. Also most of the Morse Dregs albums. They are both fantastic players, along with Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, Django Reinhardt, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Duane Allman, Frank Zappa, and a bunch of others. None of them can match Larry Carlton, but this is all irrelevant. Nobody has argued that Keith Richards is one of the greatest guitarists.

Steve Morse...

End of discussion
I have almost all of Di Meola's albums until the mid-1980s. Also most of the Morse Dregs albums. They are both fantastic players, along with Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, Django Reinhardt, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Duane Allman, Frank Zappa, and a bunch of others. None of them can match Larry Carlton, but this is all irrelevant. Nobody has argued that Keith Richards is one of the greatest guitarists.

I like Larry Carlton, but he does not come close to the technical prowess of Al Di Meola or Morse.

I love ol' Keith, but Sabbath was/is huge, original and incredibly influential, and Metallica (while not my cup of tea) was also pretty influential, if fairly derivative. They pioneered Thrash, which may or may not be a good thing. The black album, though? Fucking amazing.

Gotta say it again, though: Love ol' Keith.

Steve Morse...

End of discussion

I like Larry Carlton, but he does not come close to the technical prowess of Al Di Meola or Morse.
#1 - He certainly does.
#2 - you put way too much emphasis on technical prowess.

Yngwie Malmsteen has technical prowess up the yingyang, but he's a shit guitarist.

He starts burning it up around the 2:00 mark, if you're impressed by pyrotechnics. And this is 1978.

There is a reason why Larry Carlton was THE session guitarist of the 1970s, playing on albums from Barbra Streisand to Michael Jackson, and making $1,000 per hour...in the 70s. The only session guitarist who was more renown was Tommy Tedesco.

09q6Zv3.png

Forum List

Back