More Mexicans are leaving the USA......will tomato prices rise

No, but that is too little for picking tomatoes,

No picking needed anymore

It was hard to tell for sure how many but that trolly car looking thing doing the picking had several workers on board. I saw an operation similar to that back in the 1980's but the workers were walking along side the picker doing something rather than riding on it.

I don't know anything about it, but I would think that the machine could only pick a majority of tomatoes. You might still need humans to get the ones the machine didn't get.

Looking at the video it appears that the whole plant is harvested or pretty darn close. I am not sure how they get all the fruit to ripen at the same time nor separate it. I am thinking they must have some people in the picker sorting out the green tomatoes but I don't see where the green tomatoes are going.

I just found this other video that explains the process step by step. But all it says is that the green ones are hand picked at the site and then further sorted later on. I'm guessing more hand picking.

Your picture and the video don't seem to match up. Yours is what I would expect. The video seems too pure, unless there are a bunch of sorters in the picker.

More Mexicans are crossing the border — to leave the US. Here’s one family’s story.

Seriously, are you scared of paying an American minimum wage to pick crops?

It was hard to tell for sure how many but that trolly car looking thing doing the picking had several workers on board. I saw an operation similar to that back in the 1980's but the workers were walking along side the picker doing something rather than riding on it.

I don't know anything about it, but I would think that the machine could only pick a majority of tomatoes. You might still need humans to get the ones the machine didn't get.

The operation I saw all those years ago I don't recall seeing any of the workers bending over to pick something up off the ground. All their work was done on the picking machine itself. They were some distance away from me so I couldn't tell for sure what they were doing. I should have asked.

More Mexicans are crossing the border — to leave the US. Here’s one family’s story.

The operation I saw all those years ago I don't recall seeing any of the workers bending over to pick something up off the ground. All their work was done on the picking machine itself. They were some distance away from me so I couldn't tell for sure what they were doing. I should have asked.

This video didn't go thorough the entire process until the tomatoes get to the store, but only said they throw the green ones out. You can see the green ones being loaded into the truck right along with the ripe ones. So I found this video that shows a machine (somehow) sorts the bad ones out, but it doesn't give any explanation on how the machine works:

Americans will not work for minimum wage in picking crops as the last twenty years have shown, so, yes, the more the immigrant crop labor leaves the higher prices will increase.

But . . . Trump is failing with his deportation plans so far, so we will have to see what happens.
You don't get paid by the hour; you get paid for how much you pick. Experienced pickers can make a good day's wage, but beginners, not so much. At least that's the way it's always been with the crops around here.

A tomato plant is probably about the easiest vegetable in the world to grow. You can grow one indoors near a window that gets some sunlight.

A tomato plant is probably about the easiest vegetable in the world to grow. You can grow one indoors near a window that gets some sunlight.

That's why tomato prices are cut in half during the summer. But I've had people give me tomatoes that were not all that great. Most times people over water tomatoes and it's nothing but slop inside once you cut it.

...I stopped at a Hispanic restaurant for lunch yesterday. The place was packed with Hispanics shelling out 14 to 20 dollars each for lunch.

The narrative has them eating beans 3 meals a day.

You checked everyone to find out they were all illegal?

That's why tomato prices are cut in half during the summer. But I've had people give me tomatoes that were not all that great. Most times people over water tomatoes and it's nothing but slop inside once you cut it.

I grow the best tomatoes. You cut them open, and there are cheeseburgers inside.

Looking at the video it appears that the whole plant is harvested or pretty darn close. I am not sure how they get all the fruit to ripen at the same time nor separate it. I am thinking they must have some people in the picker sorting out the green tomatoes but I don't see where the green tomatoes are going.

I just found this other video that explains the process step by step. But all it says is that the green ones are hand picked at the site and then further sorted later on. ...

Great for pickling.

You lack empathy, what the fuck would you expect your kid to do if there were trucks full of occupying Chinese soldiers rolling around?

I doubt your daddy would be proud of what you just said. And if he would be he's a fuckign sociopath

I have no Empathy at all. None. Never have and likely never will. I would expect my son to have been better trained by his father than to throw a frag grenade at a tank, when there was a GP full of MPs right there. Dump it in the back of the GP and he'd probably have killed 3 MPs. Toss it at the tank and the MPs damn near cut you in half with the M-60.

My father had no problem doing what he did. He made it abundantly clear to me that killing the enemy is never a sin.

I grow the best tomatoes. You cut them open, and there are cheeseburgers inside.

You can't tell people around here to lay off the water. I let my tenants have gardens and they are out there every day watering the stupid tomatoes. I guess they figure the more water they give them, the faster they'll grow. You try to cut them open, and all you do is squash the thing. I need a half a roll of paper towels to squeeze the water out of them, and then there's just about nothing left except the peel. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Most tomatoes in grocery stores are also bred to be big and red, but they're basically full of water with little flavor.
They pick them green and ripen them artificially during shipping so they'll be less susceptible to damage. Unless they ripen on the vine, they don't have the flavor. The sunlight makes sugars and stuff.

...I stopped at a Hispanic restaurant for lunch yesterday. The place was packed with Hispanics shelling out 14 to 20 dollars each for lunch.

Ahhh. Good question. Nowhere in my post did I mention illegals.

And nowhere will you find me disparaging Hispanics.

To do so would be an insult to many of my family members.

Ahhh. Good question. Nowhere in my post did I mention illegals......

"The illegals need to be seen as slave labor who are beaten and whipped by big Agriculture and paid sweatshop wages."

We did just fine without the Illegals before.

We'll do just fine without the Illegals tomorrow.

Today, we may experience some problems, that must be overcome, and most of those easily enough.

But it's worth it, to flush an Invasion Force of 11-12,000,000 Illegal Aliens off American soil.

The whole plant is run through the seperator. I would "guess" maybe these tomato go to Hunts or something? Too much rough handling? Impressive, yes. Who makes the machine? Buy stock in John Deere?

I figure the HS kids who want a little spending money can pick some tomatoes.

I'm guessing you're figuring wrong. And that's an honest assessment.

The problem is getting anyone out to Central Valley CA or whereever at 5AM. Period. I think the seasonal Mexican will live free on-site. Draymond from Compton ain't going w/o ESPN till 2AM. Unless it is prisoners or grown more local like Salinas, I don't see a lot of single cars driving way way out at 5AM.

My brother died for this country serving in the army.....I still ask "for what"? Nobody can answer the question.

Forum List

Back